Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX_timeout_thread using lot of cpu time Post 302844901 by aixvinnie on Tuesday 20th of August 2013 08:49:27 AM
Old 08-20-2013
AIX_timeout_thread using lot of cpu time

Hi,

i am seeing some strange things on a lpar which we have at this moment.
With nmon i see a process aix_timeout_thread which is using lots of cpu (70-80%, all cpu which is "free" is used). This is a kernel process (for as far i can find out) but i am wondering what is causing this to happen and what this process is used for. We have a second partition (setup as a load balanced environment) with the same setup, but no problems with aix_timeout_thread can be seen on that one.
Partition is running aix 5.3, edge 7.0.0.24 and has been moved to P770 (from P595) half a year ago.

In the morning we are going to stop and start the application to see if the process will still be active.

Anyone has an idea or have seen a similar problem?

Regards,

vincent

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

how to calculate CPU time under HP-UX

Hi, I am loking for a c++ function that calculate CPU time under HP-UX Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: limame
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CPU time on multitask applications

Hello all, I'm using clock() function (from ctime) to realize how long it takes my threaded application to complete an algorithm. I would like to know how this function behaves in multicore boxes, that is: does it return the sum of the clock ticks of each processor the program was runned on ?... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: clalfa
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command takes a lot of time ( can I skip directories)

I have a file called "library" with the following content libnxrdbmgr.a libnxrdbmgr.so libnxtk.a libnxtk.so libora0d_nsc_osi.so I am trying to locate if these libraries are on my machine or not. find command runs for about few seconds and hangs after this. Can someone please help me and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to know which process consume CPU time more

Hi, I have problem like everyday i have to check which process consuming more cpu time. I have done it manually using top command.. Is there any script which will tell the exact process name which will consuming more time. I am using hpux. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh08
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Telnet/ssh connection takes a lot of time.

We have three Oracle instances running on our Sun-Blade-T6300. Telnet or SSH connection to one of the instance (or to user oramach) takes a lot of time whether using putty or SecureCRT but connection to any other user is very fast. Any idea what may be causing this slow connection to this... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: esmgr
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Why CPU time is longer than Elasped time?

I thought a program's elapsed time, some program language call it real time, should be the time of a program from start to finish. And it should be equal or longer than CPU time. This is true for the most of the cases. However, I do see some of my programs CPU time is longer than Elapsed time. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: visio2000
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

command taking lot of time to execute

Hi, I am running the following command, and it tries to delete some dn from ldap, however, it takes lot of time before it finally request LDAP server to delete it. I am trying to find why it is taking lot of time. Could you anyone help me in this regard. I have copies the pstack output, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
3 Replies

8. Solaris

process CPU time

We are using JAVA program and strange thing is it takes 100% CPU when not in use. The program function is to stream a file on output port (one direction). It checks one directory and when there is a file in it, starts. While it is streaming the CPU usage is normal, about 20%. But, if... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cpu time

Hi Experts, If a thread running on CPU needs some data from RAM (from near or far RAM) it requests the data (this moment of time is t0) and gets it in moment of time in t1, and continues his work. Between t0 and t1, while data is transferring from RAM, the thread is goes out from CPU? Is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sant
2 Replies
MAC_PARTITION(4)					   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					  MAC_PARTITION(4)

NAME
mac_partition -- process partition policy SYNOPSIS
To compile the process partition policy into your kernel, place the following lines in your kernel configuration file: options MAC options MAC_PARTITION Alternately, to load the process partition module at boot time, place the following line in your kernel configuration file: options MAC and in loader.conf(5): mac_partition_load="YES" DESCRIPTION
The mac_partition policy module implements a process partition policy, which allows administrators to place running processes into ``partitions'', based on their numeric process partition (specified in the process's MAC label). Processes with a specified partition can only see processes that are in the same partition. If no partition is specified for a process, it can see all other processes in the system (subject to other MAC policy restrictions not defined in this man page). No provisions for placing processes into multiple partitions are available. Label Format Partition labels take on the following format: partition/value Where value can be any integer value or ``none''. For example: partition/1 partition/20 partition/none SEE ALSO
mac(4), mac_biba(4), mac_bsdextended(4), mac_ifoff(4), mac_lomac(4), mac_mls(4), mac_none(4), mac_portacl(4), mac_seeotheruids(4), mac_test(4), maclabel(7), mac(9) HISTORY
The mac_partition policy module first appeared in FreeBSD 5.0 and was developed by the TrustedBSD Project. AUTHORS
This software was contributed to the FreeBSD Project by Network Associates Labs, the Security Research Division of Network Associates Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR contract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program. BUGS
See mac(9) concerning appropriateness for production use. The TrustedBSD MAC Framework is considered experimental in FreeBSD. While the MAC Framework design is intended to support the containment of the root user, not all attack channels are currently protected by entry point checks. As such, MAC Framework policies should not be relied on, in isolation, to protect against a malicious privileged user. BSD
December 9, 2002 BSD