Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating LPARS in AIX
Operating Systems AIX Creating LPARS in AIX Post 302844346 by bakunin on Sunday 18th of August 2013 11:18:41 PM
Old 08-19-2013
You need a virtualisation license.

Depending on which virtualisation technique you want to use (IVM or HMC) and how you organized disks and network (adapters) you may or may not need 1 or 2 VIOS LPARs.

Depending on which virtualisation technique you want to use (IVM or HMC) you may need a HMC if you do not have one.

Tell us more about your (prospective) environment and we can tell you more about your requirements.

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

creating user accounts in AIX

Hello all: I am new to UNIX and I am given the responsibility of administering a UNIX machine recently. The system is a IBM AIX 3.1. As a part of my duties I recently created some user accounts using "smit". It looked as if everything went well. But, after creating the account, I logged into... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pdepa
3 Replies

2. AIX

Creating RAID 5 for AIX 5.2

Hi guys!! I terribly need help in setting up RAID 5 for a P615 IBM server. IBM said that I needed a diagnostic cd but it will take them 6 weeks to send it to me. I need help PLEASE Server configuration: P615 IBM Server 3 pcs 36.4GB HDD Dual Channel SCSI RAID Enab. Card Thank you, Jose (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX:creating user with username more than 8 chars

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuafs84
0 Replies

4. AIX

script for creating aix user

Hi Guys, I want to create user with a script: user name, user id, primary group, group set, home directory, initial program, password, user information, another user can SU to user. And all the rest is the default. Does anyone already have the script for this? Can you please share it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating and Executing a script of aliases in AIX

hi, I am trying to create a script in AIX (5.3 I think), then run it. here's what I have: /home/me $ vi first.aliases ... alias cdblah='cd /blah' alias cdho='cd /ho' alias ssr='sudo su - random' ~ ...end of first.aliases /home/me $ ./first.aliases /home/me $ ssr ksh: ssr: not found.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: heetertc
2 Replies

6. AIX

Creating Exceed X Server for Aix

HI I am trying to create an X Server on my laptop for displaying X Applications from an AIX platform. Normally I would just use the Exceed Client Wizard to create my X Server on my laptop. However I am told that this by default creates X Servers that use REXEC as the communication over TCP/IP (... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
1 Replies

7. AIX

Automation of AIX LPARs reboot

Hello Everyone, Can you please help me with the following questions regarding recycling LPARs. 1) Is it recommended to automate the reboot of AIX LPARs with a script ? i mean we've few App LPARs and Database LPARs. we would like to bring down LPARs on last sunday of every month for about 1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
4 Replies

8. AIX

Is it must to enable TCB on AIX LPARs ?

Hi, I've verified my AIX 7.1 LPAR , and TCB is disabled by default. #odmget -q attribute=TCB_STATE PdAt PdAt: uniquetype = "" attribute = "TCB_STATE" deflt = "tcb_disabled" values = "" width = "" type = "" generic = "" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
3 Replies

9. AIX

Creating AIX LV VG and JFS2 issues?

Can someone please help me understand what it is I am doing incorrectly? I have 22 PVs (disks) assigned to a VG, the stats on the disks: # lspv hdisk1 PHYSICAL VOLUME: hdisk1 VOLUME GROUP: vg_usr1 PV IDENTIFIER: 0000150179158027 VG IDENTIFIER ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: c3rb3rus
3 Replies

10. AIX

Changing VLAN on AIX lpars in the same subnet

Hi Guys, Our lpars is currently running on 2 different vlans (20, 30). Now we have a requirement that vlan 30 needs to be change to vlan 31 at the same subnet. I'm not sure on what is the best approach for this or what change is involve on the AIX side. This is our setup. Network switch -... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaelu26
5 Replies
adt-testreport-runloop(1)				     Linux Programmer's Manual					 adt-testreport-runloop(1)

NAME
adt-testreport-runloop - repeatedly choose and test packages SYNOPSYS
adt-testreport-runloop [[!@]variable=value|[!@]settings-file]... DESCRIPTION
adt-testreport-runloop is a rather ad-hoc script which repeatedly invokes adt-testreport-onepackage; it is designed to be invoked from cron. WARNING - it is essential to reconfigure this program before use, as the supplied examples will send emails to people who will become very upset with you! CONFIGURATION
Command-line arguments containing = are interpreted with eval; other arguments are sourced using ., in each case interpreted as bash script. Supplied arguments are both executed by a-t-r and passed through to the invocation of a-t-o. You may prefix an argument with @ to indicate that it is for a-t-onepackage only, or with ! to indicate that it is for a-t-runloop only. Thus the set of variables which can be set is the union of those for a-t-runloop itself and those for a-t-onepackage. See the a-t-o man- page for such information about its configuration as is available. Configuration fragment authors should bear in mind that both programs use set -e. It is quite permissible to set PATH and other needed environmnet variables in the configuration file. The following variables may be set: distro distribution (`suite') to be tested. There is no default. This variable is used only for the default values of testbed_check_path and test_classes. However, it is probably a convenient way of specifying the intended effect particularly as attempting to do cross-distribution testing in a single installation does not work properly right now (see a-t-o's BUGS). max_test_count the maximum number of times to invoke a-t-o. This counts both passed and failed tests, but it doesn't count possible runs which were suppressed. Default: 10. go_anway Run even though the file go does not exist. See SUPPRESSION, below. Default: false. architecture Used in combination with distro when calculating the right default for test_classes. The default is the result from dpkg --print- architecture. testbed_check_path If the file named by this variable doesn't exist, a-t-r will exit. This avoids it spinning and reporting many immediate failures due to a broken testbed. The default is /var/lib/autopkgtest/xenlvm/adt_distro/good if distro is set, which assumes that the Xen- based virtualisation system is being used; if distro is not set then default is /dev/null which nullifies this feature. test_classes Specifies the set of test classes to try, with the details of each test class separated by a colon : from the next. a-t-r will run a-t-o once for each listed test class and then return to the beginning of the list. Tests in each class are thus selected approximately equally often. (If max_test_count is not a multiple of the number of actual test classes then early classes are used slightly more.) Each test class consists of a set of suppression checks, a comma ,, and some configuration arguments for a-t-o. The suppression checks are whitespace-separated words; see SUPPRESSION. The configuration arguments are likewise whitespace-separated. There is no provision for passing configuration arguments containing spaces to a-t-o. a-t-o arguments in test classes override other configura- tion settings. The default is source distro, target=source : binary distro, target=binary-architecture which tests binary packages and source pack- ages from the same distribution in alternation SUPPRESSION
a-t-r is designed to be enabled and disabled by sentinel files. Firstly, if the file go does not exist in its working directory, it will stop at the first sensible opportunity. (See also the go_anyway configuration variable.) Secondly, test classes may specify suppression checks. For each such check classcheck, a-t-r will test for the existence of stop-class- check in its current directory. If that file exists, it will suppress that class of test. Do not suppress all of the tests without remov- ing go. FILES
/var/lib/autopkgtest/xenlvm/adt_distro/good default sentinel file for testbed_check_path. ./go Sentinel file indicating that operation should be enabled. ./stop-classcheck Sentinel file indicating that test classes mentioning classcheck should be suppressed. adt-testreport-runloop does not use any other files directly, but it will probably need a configuration file as an argument, and it will invoke adt-testreport-onepackage which uses many files in the current directory and which invokes an autopkgtest virtualisation server. BUGS AND WARNINGS
It is essential not to use the example configuration! This configuration is likely to send inappropriate emails! There is no locking. Whatever invokes a-t-r should take out a lock of some kind. See the example cronjobs provided in hosts/*/cronjob in the source package. If all of the test classes are suppressed, a-t-r will spin in a tight loop looking for something to do. The testbed_check_path feature is rather ad-hoc. It would be better to query the virtualisation server to be used directly and then sup- press the test class if relevant. (But the infinite loop bug would need to be fixed too.) The design precludes detecting attempts to set incorrectly named configuration options. AUTHORS AND COPYRIGHT
This manpage is part of autopkgtest, a tool for testing Debian binary packages. autopkgtest is Copyright (C) 2006-2007 Canonical Ltd and others. See /usr/share/doc/autopkgtest/CREDITS for the list of contributors and full copying conditions. autopkgtest 2007 adt-testreport-runloop(1)