Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How Select numbers from a line of text, and remove leading spaces? Post 302844268 by kcpoole on Sunday 18th of August 2013 04:53:05 AM
Old 08-18-2013
Hi Don.. Interesting idea but The 2 variables will be written from data withing the text file, Specifically the first line.
Suppose some more context might help, but i was trying to keep it simple :-).

I will have many files to process and all are the same format, and I will need to extract this line out, and then read the Center Number and name, then write them out to another file.

Another part of the script will read the input file and this part only needs to extract the Number and name from this line. The number wil be any number between 1 and 999, and the leading zero is the problem.

Ken

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove leading spaces from a line

Hi friends I need some help, I have a file which looks as follows TEMP 014637065 014637065 517502 517502 RTE 517502 517502 RTE AWATER_TEST 12325 23563 588323 2323 5656 32385 23235635 ANOTHER_TEST 12 5433 FTHH 5653 833 TEST 123 123 3235 5353 353 53 35 353 535 3 YTERS GJK JKLS ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lijojoseph
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed over writes my original file (using sed to remove leading spaces)

Hello and thx for reading this I'm using sed to remove only the leading spaces in a file bash-280R# cat foofile some text some text some text some text some text bash-280R# bash-280R# sed 's/^ *//' foofile > foofile.use bash-280R# cat foofile.use some text some text some text... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: laser
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove trailing and leading spaces using tr command

Dear All, can you please advice how do i remove trailing and leading spaces from a pipe-delimited file using "tr" command the below cmd, i tried removed all spaces tr -d ' '<s1.txt>s2.txt1 Many thx Suresh (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshg_sampat
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to remove leading spaces

Hi Experts, In a file tht i copied from the web , i am not able to remove the leading white spaces. I tried the below , none of them working . I opened the file through vi to check for the special characters if any , but no such characters found. Your advice will be greatly appreciated. sed... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: panyam
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I remove leading spaces in UNIX when count of space character is not fixed? Example below-

Script showStreamsGLIS$reg.$env.ksh gives me output as below- Job Stime Etime Status ExitCode GLIS-AS-S-EFL-LOCK-B ----- ----- OI 103313880/0 GLIS-ALL-Q-EOD-FX-UPDT-1730-B ----- ----- TE 0/0 GLIS-TK-S-BWSOD-B ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove leading and trailing spaces from a file

Hi, I am trying to remove leading and trailing spaces from a file using awk but somehow I have not been able to do it. Here is the data that I want to trim. 07/12/2017 15:55:00 |entinfdev |AD ping Time ms | .474| 1.41| .581|green |flat... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: svajhala
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to remove leading spaces

OS : RHEL 6.7 Shell : bash I am trying to remove the leading the spaces in the below file $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 Expected output is shown below. $ cat pattern2.txt hello1 hello2 hello3 hello4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove leading and trailing spaces for variable in shell script?

Hi I have variable named tablename. The value to tablename variable has leading and trailing white spaces. How to remove the leading and training white spaces and write the value of the tablename without space to a file using shell script. ( for e.g. tablename= yyy ) INPUT ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: pottic
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tip to remove line endings and spaces on a pre-formatted text file?

Hi, At the moment, using Notepad++ to do a search and replace, manually section by section which is real painful. Yeah, so copying each section of the line of text and putting into a file and then search and replace, need at least 3-operations in Notepad++. Here's hoping I will be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
tracker-extract(1)						   User Commands						tracker-extract(1)

NAME
tracker-extract - Extract metadata from a file. SYNOPSYS
tracker-extract [OPTION...] FILE... DESCRIPTION
tracker-extract reads the file and mimetype provided in stdin and extract the metadata from this file; then it displays the metadata on the standard output. NOTE: If a FILE is not provided then tracker-extract will run for 30 seconds waiting for DBus calls before quitting. OPTIONS
-?, --help Show summary of options. -v, --verbosity=N Set verbosity to N. This overrides the config value. Values include 0=errors, 1=minimal, 2=detailed and 3=debug. -f, --file=FILE The FILE to extract metadata from. The FILE argument can be either a local path or a URI. It also does not have to be an absolute path. -m, --mime=MIME The MIME type to use for the file. If one is not provided, it will be guessed automatically. -d, --disable-shutdown Disable shutting down after 30 seconds of inactivity. -i, --force-internal-extractors Use this option to force internal extractors over 3rd parties like libstreamanalyzer. -m, --force-module=MODULE Force a particular module to be used. This is here as a convenience for developers wanting to test their MODULE file. Only the MOD- ULE name has to be specified, not the full path. Typically, a MODULE is installed to /usr/lib/tracker-0.7/extract-modules/. This option can be used with or without the .so part of the name too, for example, you can use --force-module=foo Modules are shared objects which are dynamically loaded at run time. These files must have the .so suffix to be loaded and must con- tain the correct symbols to be authenticated by tracker-extract. For more information see the libtracker-extract reference documen- tation. -V, --version Show binary version. EXAMPLES
Using command line to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 Using a specific module to extract metadata from a file: $ tracker-extract -v 3 -f /path/to/some/file.mp3 -m mymodule ENVIRONMENT
TRACKER_EXTRACTORS_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the shared libraries from (used for extracting metadata for specific file types). These are needed on each invocation of tracker-store. If unset it will default to the correct place. This is used mainly for testing purposes. The default location is /usr/lib/tracker-0.10/extract-modules/. TRACKER_EXTRACTOR_RULES_DIR This is the directory which tracker uses to load the rules files from. The rules files describe extractor modules and their sup- ported MIME types. The default location is /usr/share/tracker/extract-rules/. TRACKER_USE_CONFIG_FILES Don't use GSettings, instead use a config file similar to how settings were saved in 0.10.x. That is, a file which is much like an .ini file. These are saved to $HOME/.config/tracker/ SEE ALSO
tracker-store(1), tracker-sparql(1), tracker-stats(1), tracker-info(1). /usr/lib/tracker-0.10/extract-modules/ /usr/share/tracker/extract-rules/ GNU
July 2007 tracker-extract(1)