Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: To quote or not
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers To quote or not Post 302844091 by g.j.huebschman on Friday 16th of August 2013 11:18:22 AM
Old 08-16-2013
Thanks!

...and sorry about not using the code tag in my post.

---------- Post updated at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutinizer
If you leave a pattern unquoted it will work too, unless there happens to be one or more files in the current directory that match that pattern (the shell will then expand the pattern first), which can lead to surprising results, so it is a good habit to quote those patterns..
My takeaway is to use quotes.
I can also see that I don't understand the difference between the shell expanding the wildcards and the command expanding the wildcards. I'll go back and read again. I'll try some test file names to see how things work.

(Now I see that there is a "Thanks" button.)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing Data between first quote and next quote

I have input file like RDBMS FALIURE UTY8703 'USER_WORK.TEST' .HIghest return code '12' I want to parse data which comed between first quote till next quote USER_WORK.TEST can you please suggest how to do that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

double-quote inside double-quote

hey all, i made a simple .sh like this: echo "<style media="screen" type="text/css">@import url("main.css");</style>" but the output is: <style media=screen type=text/css>@import url(main.css);</style> i want to keep double-quotes, can anyone help me? thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indraf
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quote and variable

The command line bellow works fine by itself. /opt/csw/bin/rsync -azq --delete -e "ssh -i /.ssh/ss" /home/ me@myaccount.storage.com:/home/ Now I would like to introduce some variable into it and make a .sh file such as bellow and it does not work anymore. I guess the part -e "ssh -i /.ssh/ss" has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngungo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex in grep to match all lines ending with a double quote (") OR a single quote (')

Hi, I've been trying to write a regex to use in egrep (in a shell script) that'll fetch the names of all the files that match a particular pattern. I expect to match the following line in a file: Name = "abc" The regex I'm using to match the same is: egrep -l '(^) *= *" ** *"$' /PATH_TO_SEARCH... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NanJ
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing a quote in some lines with multiple quote fields

i want to replace mistaken quotes in line starting with tag 300 and relocate the quote in the correct position so the input is 223;25 224;20100428064823;1;0;0;0;0;0;0;0;8;1;3;9697;18744;;;;;;;;;;;; 300;X;Event:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wradwan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting value between double quote

Can somebody supply me with a simple way to get a value between two double quotes? Example: input = ADR base is "/u01/app/oracle" output = /u01/app/oracle Thanks to all who answer (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing Double Quote in Double Quote incsv file

Hi All , We have source data file as csv file and since data could contain commas ,each attribute is quoted into double quotes.However problem is that some of the attributa data also contain double quotes which is converted to double double quote while creating csv file XLs data : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shalini Badal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing all but the first and last double quote in a line with a single quote with awk

From: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This, is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ""test""" 4,7,3,1,8,"""" To: 1,2,3,4,5,This is a test 6,7,8,9,0,"This; is a test" 1,9,2,8,3,"This is a ''test''" 4,7,3,1,8,"''"Is there an easy syntax I'm overlooking? There will always be an odd number... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

A terrific quote:

Food for thought! """ Everybody in this country should learn to program a computer...because it teaches you how to think. """ Steve Jobs. So, SO, true! Merry XMAS all... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
4 Replies
SLIST(1)							       slist								  SLIST(1)

NAME
slist - Lists available NetWare Servers SYNOPSIS
slist [ pattern ] DESCRIPTION
slist lists all NetWare Servers available in your network. If slist does not print to a tty, the decorative header line is not printed, so that you can count the servers on your network by doing slist | wc -l OPTIONS
pattern pattern is used to list only servers whose names match the specified pattern. For a server to be listed, the pattern must match the full server name. You can use wildcards for the pattern, but you must protect these wildcards from any command line expansion by quoting. Case doesn't matter. EXAMPLE
slist "I*" or slist "i*" List all available Netware servers on your Network, that begin with an "I". SEE ALSO
ncpmount(8), ncpumount(8), pqlist(1), nprint(1) CREDITS
slist was written by Volker Lendecke (lendecke@math.uni-goettingen.de) BUGS
slist works only in IPX environment, as it uses SAP to find first server and then Bindery to get list of servers. slist 01/07/1996 SLIST(1)