Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Unable to pass a space inside a variable shell scripting Post 302843580 by Kits on Wednesday 14th of August 2013 02:49:29 AM
Old 08-14-2013
HP Unable to pass a space inside a variable shell scripting

Can anyone help me in solving this ?

Code:
p=`date`
e=`echo $p | awk '{print $2,$3}'`
# echo $p
Wed Aug 4 12:00:08 IST 2013

but when I am echoing the value of e it is giving me with one space. As shown below:

Code:
# echo $e
Aug 4

I need this value to be exact as found in /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log file. When I tail last line of syslog file, I get like this:

Code:
# tail -1 /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
Aug  4 12:02:54 pairdb01 emcp_mond: PP daemon: Error: Unable to start.

and after extracting the first two fields I get the value with only one space.
As shown below:

Code:
# e=`echo $p | awk '{print $2,$3}'`
# echo $e
Aug 4

or

Code:
# c=`tail -1 /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log | awk '{print $1,$2}'`
# echo $c
Aug 4

I need the o/p like below:

Code:
Aug  4

which has two spaces in between. Can somebody help ?
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Using CODE tags is crucial when you need to preserve spacing in your posts.

Last edited by Don Cragun; 08-14-2013 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to Pass variable to shell Script

Hi , i am beginner to Unix, I have one small script which execute java programme,it has java command input output structure . Right now i have given Input output structure manually that is on same directory, now how can i pass that by commandline #!/bin/sh java Classjava input.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam70
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to pass a variable to an update sql statement inside a loop

hi all, i am experiencing an error which i think an incorrect syntax for the where clause passing a variable was given. under is my code. sqlplus -s ${USERNAME}/${PASSWORD}@${SID} << END1 >> $LOGFILE whenever sqlerror exit set serveroutput on size 1000000 declare l_rc ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

nested double quota and white space inside variable

I have a question about nested double quotes. Any help is appreciated. Here are my commands on Mac OS. # string="Ethernet \"USB Ethernet\" \"Bluetooth DUN\" AirPort FireWire \"Bluetooth PAN\"" # echo $string Ethernet "USB Ethernet" "Bluetooth DUN" AirPort FireWire "Bluetooth PAN" #... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lindazhou
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pass shell variable to gnuplot

Hi I am plotting a series of CDFs using gnuplot using plot "data" u 1:(1./x.) smooth cumulative I am doing this over many files and I need to tune the x value to the number of lines that meets a particular condition. Is it possible to get the line count from shell using cat file | grep... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

unable to pass value to user prompt from calling shell script

This is my script structure main script calls configure script which needs to be run as a different user and the configure script calls my application installation script. the application instruction script prompts the user for a directory which I need to pass from my main or configure script. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmastays
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass current year and month in FOR LOOP in UNIX shell scripting?

Hi Team, I have created a script and using FOR LOOP like this and it is working fine. for Month in 201212 201301 201302 201303 do echo "Starting the statistics gathering of $Month partitions " done But in my scripts the " Month " variable is hard-coded. Can you please any one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoan
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass shell script variable to awk command in same shell script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff | awk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ashunayak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass send command in shell script

I am trying to automate a testcase . I am installing some software and it waits for user input after displaying "Do you want to continue ? " I am trying to do this in shell scripting. #!/bin/bash #!/usr/bin/expect -f /usr/bin/expect << EOF spawn apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk expect "*Do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Abdul Navaz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to pass value from .Shell script to .SQL file

Hi All, I am new to shell script. I am trying to pass value from .sh file to .sql file . But I am able to run the .sql file from .sh file with values in sql file. But I am unable to pass the values from .sh file. can some one please help to resolve this. here is my .sh file s1.sh ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reddy298599
4 Replies