Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to change Permissions on files and directories Post 302843551 by gkelly1117 on Tuesday 13th of August 2013 09:20:30 PM
Old 08-13-2013
Script to change Permissions on files and directories

Hey, It's me again.

Have a problem, that's not really a problem. I have the below script, that goes to the directory I want it to go to. lists out the directories available, lets you choose the directory you want, then it changes the permissions on said directory. using chmod -R and chown -R.

I however am setting chmod to 0770 recursively, but I want to be able to chose the directory, go into the directory, and determine if it's a file then chmod 0660, if directory 0770 and so on and so forth throughout the entire directory structure

I know i can test -f a file or test -d a directory. But cant work the logic out in my head to get what I want accomplished any help would be appreciated.

Code:
#!/bin/bash

source /generic/utils/etc/environments/perm.conf

cd $ENVR
DIRS=`ls -l $ENVR | egrep '^d' | awk '{print $9}'`

for DIR in "${DIRS[@]}";
do
    echo "$DIR"
        echo "Which environment do you want?: "
        echo -n "> "
        read i
echo "Changing permissions now..."

sudo chown -R $OWN:$GRP "$i" && sudo chmod -R $MOD1 "$i"
#cd $ENVR/$i
#sudo chmod -R $MOD2 *

echo "Permissions are changed!"

done

Last edited by gkelly1117; 08-13-2013 at 10:59 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change default permissions on new files

Hello, I would like to know if there was any way I can change the default permissions for new files being generated within a certain directory. Would I need to have the same permissions set at the directory level as for the files being generated in it. Regards, Rdgblues (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdgblues
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in changing Permissions to 775 for files and directories

Hi All I need to create a script which would change Permissions to 775 All the Files and directories will be mentioned in the Paramter files Can anyone give a Hint how to proceed in this ?? THanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ranga27
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to change permissions only to files, not directories....?

Hi, I am really new to unix, any help is much appreciated. I need to change permissions of all files under several subdirectories to 700 but keep directories readable (755). Why ? Because I need a FTP user to only list his files and can't read them. But to browse to subfolder, the directories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: narrok
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to change the access permissions of the files

Hi, I want to change the access permissions of the files whose extension is same.For example *.c but these are inside a directory and inside that other directory is there and it contains the .c files..for example-- So my aim is to search the files under src and change the access permissions... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
3 Replies

5. Linux

Default user:group permissions while creating files and directories

Hi, I am working on setup a environment where only a specific user can upload the builds on htdocs of apache. Now i want that a specific user can copy the builds on htdocs folder. I created a group "deploy" and assign user1 and user2 to this group. On Apache side i mentioned User=deploy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on script to change permissions

Hi I have written the following script that later I want to put in cron,: #!/bin/bash _find="/usr/bin/find" _paths="/moneta_polled01/mediation_gsm /moneta_polled01/mediation_mmsc" for d in $_paths do $_find $d -type f -exec chmod 777 {} \; done but it does not seem to be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on script to change permissions

Hi All I have the following script that is supposed to change permissions of incoming files to a directory, but it does not seem to do what I want, please can you help: mkdir -p /tmp/tmpdir find /moneta_polled01/sgsn/ -exec ls -l {} \; |grep -v rwxrwxrwx |awk '{print $9}' >... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find only files/directories with different permissions/owners

My git post-update has the following lines in it to make sure the permissions are set right: find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type d -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 755 find /usr/local/apache/htdocs -type f -print0 | xargs -0 chmod 644 chown -R apache:apache /usr/local/apache/htdocsThe only problem is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dheian
5 Replies

9. Solaris

Change permissions for files

Hi! I have a dir in a server, that receives files with the wrong permissions, so I decide to put on a cron entry that changes its permitions, but because of the time gap, not all of them get changed. What I did was the following: ... (14 Replies)
14 Replies

10. AIX

Permissions on directories and files

Hello, I have a main directory called /test123 /test123 has lot of sub-directories and files. drwxr-x--- 21 root system 4096 Jan 25 10:20 /test123 Here, "other" does not have any access to /test123 folder. How can we provide read-only access to others on /test123... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aaron8667
1 Replies
mktrashcan(1)						      General Commands Manual						     mktrashcan(1)

NAME
mktrashcan, rmtrashcan, shtrashcan - Attaches, detaches, or shows a trashcan directory SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/mktrashcan trashcan directory... /usr/sbin/rmtrashcan directory... /usr/sbin/shtrashcan directory... OPERANDS
Specifies the directory that contains files that were deleted from attached directories. Whenever you delete a file in the specified directory, the file system automatically moves the file to the trashcan directory. Specifies the directory that you attach to a trashcan directory. DESCRIPTION
The trashcan utilities (mktrashcan and rmtrashcan) enable you to attach or detach an existing directory, which you specify as a trashcan directory, to any number of directories within the same fileset. A trashcan directory stores the files that are deleted with the unlink system call. For instance, you can use the mktrashcan utility to attach a trashcan directory called /usr/trashcan to one or more directories; thereafter, when you delete a file from one of the attached directories, the file system moves the file to the /usr/trashcan directory. Note that when more than one directory shares attachment to a trashcan directory, files with the same file name can overwrite each other in the trashcan directory. If you mistakenly delete a file, use the mv command to return the file from the /usr/trashcan directory to its original directory. When you enter shtrashcan at the system prompt, the system shows the trashcan directory, if one exists, for the directory you specified. It is important that trashcan directories have correct access permissions. If the permissions are too restrictive, then it may be impossi- ble to remove files from the directories that are attached to the trashcan directory. In general, all users and groups that expect to use the trashcan directory need write permission to the directory. If unexpected "permission denied" errors occur when deleting files that are in a directory attached to a trashcan directory, use the chmod command to change the permissions on the trashcan directory. RESTRICTIONS
The directory and trashcan directories must be in the same fileset; however, you can attach the trashcan directory to any directory within the fileset. EXAMPLES
The following example creates and attaches a trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to two directories, /usr/ray and /usr/projects/sql/test, which are in the same fileset. The chmod command adds write permission for all users and groups on the new trashcan directory. % mkdir /usr/trashcan % chmod a+w /usr/trashcan % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/ray /usr/projects/sql/test To attach the trashcan directory, /usr/trashcan, to all subdirectories in the /usr directory, enter: % mktrashcan /usr/trashcan /usr/* New subdirectories that you add beneath the /usr directory are not attached to the trashcan directory until you attach them. Also, the mktrashcan utility distinguishes between directories and files, attaching only directories to the trashcan directory. Note that an attached directory produces an EDUPLICATE_DIRS (-1165) error when /usr/trashcan is itself in the directory path you attach to (as in the previous example). You can ignore this error message. SEE ALSO
advfs(4), mkfset(8), showfsets(8) mktrashcan(1)