Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Memory usage in AIX server
Operating Systems AIX Memory usage in AIX server Post 302843467 by zaxxon on Tuesday 13th of August 2013 11:56:39 AM
Old 08-13-2013
  1. Yes, thatīs totally normal. Most RAM is being used to cache files so access to slower disks can be hopefully avoided.
  2. Correct, see 1. It depends on your tuning parameters when and how much memory will be freed. Usually from AIX 5.3 TL... (forgot it), the tuning parameters for VMM are good and usually donīt need adjustment.
  3. If your system actually does page out to Paging Space or page in from there, it will be very slow. So either by tuning or enough memory, you will try to avoid paging at all cost. Therefore these days, you can use a fix amount of Paging Space, which may be rather small compared to RAM. I would use a fix size of 5 GB.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kollam68
1 Replies

2. AIX

Memory Usage in AIX

Hi All, I have a question, can you guys please help me by giving your valuable suggestons: I am using AIX 5L, running oracle 7 version. I need to increase the oracle memory to 40 MB more. Currently Oracle occupies 260M. I wanted to know whether I can increase the memory without any problem.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kollam68
3 Replies

3. AIX

High memory usage in AIX 5.1

Hi, We have AIX 5.1 machine of RAM 8 GB and paging space is 8GB. we are getting high memory usage of almost 99%.Can anybody please help in this ? Partial vmstat o/p kthr memory ----- ----------- r b avm fre 2 1 278727 1143 There is no paging issue.Becoz in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
5 Replies

4. AIX

Memory usage on AIX

How to check the memory usage on AIX by various processes? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 Physical Memory usage

Hi, I have AIX 5.3TL8 two node cluster using HACMP and have 10g database using RAW devices. I am seeing gradual increase in comp% memory everyday and it reaches 100% and evicts the node, we had 4 evictions in 40days. I am pasting vmstat and vmo output, anyone seen this issue? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: navin7386
5 Replies

8. AIX

AIX memory usage always high

hi, I want to ask , my AIX 6.1 is always used about 97% memory. Is this normal ? or any command can free up memory like Linux ? thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: virusxx
1 Replies

9. AIX

Regarding AIX Memory Utilization usage calculation

Hello, Am working on small program that used to calculate the memory usage of AIX servers. Am using svmon -G command to get the memory usage. For example, consider the following output. $ svmon -G size inuse free pin virtual mmode memory ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: maruthu
9 Replies

10. AIX

AIX memory usage by processes

Hi, i have 2 identical web servers using AIX. I use nmon analyser to check their performance. The server A exceeds 20% memory usage for system, 5% for cache and the rest 75% for processes. While, it uses 4% of Paging Space. The server B exceeds 20% for system, 45% for cache and 35% for processes.... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: dim
24 Replies
ESHCONFIG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      ESHCONFIG(8)

NAME
eshconfig -- configure Essential Communications' HIPPI network interface SYNOPSIS
eshconfig [-estx] [-b bytes] [-c bytes] [-d filename] [-i usecs] [-m bytes] [-r bytes] [-u filename] [-w bytes] [interface] DESCRIPTION
eshconfig is used to configure device-specific parameters and download new firmware to the Essential Communications RoadRunner-based HIPPI network interface. The interface is very sensitive to the DMA performance characteristics of the host, and so requires careful tuning to achieve reasonable performance. In addition, firmware is likely to change frequently, which necessitates a reasonably easy way to update that firmware. Available operands for eshconfig: -b bytes Adjust the burst size for read (by NIC of host memory) DMA. -c bytes Adjust the burst size for write (by NIC of host memory) DMA. -d filename Filename for file to download into NIC firmware. This must be a file in the standard Essential format, with :04 preceding every line, and a tag line at the end indicating the characteristics of the firmware file. -e Write data to EEPROM. Normally, setting tuning parameters will only persist until the system is rebooted. Setting this parameter ensures that the changes will be written to EEPROM. -i usecs Interrupt delay in microseconds. -m bytes Minimum number of bytes to DMA in one direction (read or write) before allowing a DMA in the other direction. Tuning this prevents one direction from dominating the flow of bytes, and artificially throttling the NIC. -r bytes Bytes before DMA starts for read (from host to NIC). This controls how soon the DMA is triggered; until this many bytes are requested, the DMA will not begin. -s Show statistics for the HIPPI NIC. Repeat the option to suppress non-zero statistics. -t Show current tuning parameters on the host. -u filename Name of file to which the NIC firmware should be uploaded. Not currently supported. -w bytes Number of bytes required before write (from NIC to host) DMA is started. Until this many bytes are ready to be written, the DMA will not start. -x Reset the NIC. This is necessary for the HIPPI-FP support, as ifconfig(8) will no longer physically reset the NIC when the inter- faces goes up and down. Only the super-user may modify the configuration of a network interface. DIAGNOSTICS
Messages indicating the specified interface does not exist or the user is not privileged and tried to alter an interface's configuration. SEE ALSO
esh(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The eshconfig command first appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
June 17, 2005 BSD