Visit Our UNIX and Linux User Community

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to insert a '#' in the first position of all the files? Post 302842815 by anand787 on Saturday 10th of August 2013 01:43:09 PM
Old 08-10-2013
Hi,

Its not in the problem of the code r the command..
and thats not only one file.. it has a set of files which is passed in the loop..the same name in which the file is given the output shud be sent in the same name to a different directory.. thats the prob i have.. moreover will it be different from linux and unix environment..

Test Your Knowledge in Computers #489
Difficulty: Medium
Because interpreted languages are not compiled, syntax errors do not become runtime errors.
True or False?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert strings at certain position

Hi, I need to insert strings "0000 00" at the each line within the file. The postion is 37 to 42. ex. name1 name2 0000 00 nam name 0000 00 The "0000 00" in two lines should be lined up. I don't know why it's not lined up when I posted it. Can anyone help? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
14 Replies

2. HP-UX

find the position in a file and insert the data there

Hi, I have a EDI data file ARROWTEST of size 18246 characters. And I want to insert some data after 4200 position in the file. How I can find the position 4200 in that file....Please advise. Regards, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: isingh786
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert at a particular position in flat file

Hi All, I have a flat file with ~ as de-limiter (e.g: aaa~ba a~caa~0~d~e) What I want is check if the 4th character is 0 and replace it with say 4. So now it becomes : aaa~ba a~caa~4~d~e. I have to do this for the whole file, but the delimiter position remains the same, not the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: akdwivedi
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert server name in position 1 on each line

Hello, It has been a long time since I have written unix code and I need to insert a variable into the first position of each line in a file. Below is an example of the script and the desired output file Here is my short script server="$(hostname)" df -kg | awk '{print $1, $2, $3, $4,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rlc198842
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

search a line and insert string into specific at position

Hi, guys. I have one question: How can I search for a line with certain string in it and then insert a string into this line? For example: There is a file called shadow, the contents of it are below: ************************** ... yuanz:VIRADxMsadfDF/Q:0:0:50:7:::... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: daikeyang
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert character in particular position.

I want to insert space in 7th position of all the lines usign vi editor or sed command Input file 12345689010 abcdefghijk . . Output file 123456 89010 abcdef ghijk . . (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert | in specific position

Hi , I have a file which has line similar to below 13123324234234234234234234234234234 3454546456dfhgfhgh454645654asdasfsdsddfgdgdfg 345345345mnmnbmnb346mnb4565464564564645645 Not for each line for specific position I need to insert some '|' Positions are fixed. Like 3,5,9,11 So the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using sed to insert at position x and then every interval y for each line

Thanks to help from Don Cragun in post 302924174, I'm off and getting into trouble on my own (finally) with sed. Here is my goal - insert \\r\n at the 60th character on each line and then every 76th character thereafter: Input:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gusbrown
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to insert a string and variable at specified position in command in bash?

I currently have a loop that reads all .bam files in a directory (wont always be 4 like in this example, into $id. What I am trying to do, unsucessfully, is create specific new lines in an exsisting command using each $id. Each new line would be: --bam ${id} \ Tried p=$dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies
LOSETUP(8)						       System Administration							LOSETUP(8)

NAME
losetup - set up and control loop devices SYNOPSIS
Get info: losetup [loopdev] losetup -l [-a] losetup -j file [-o offset] Detach a loop device: losetup -d loopdev... Detach all associated loop devices: losetup -D Set up a loop device: losetup [-o offset] [--sizelimit size] [--sector-size size] [-Pr] [--show] -f|loopdev file Resize a loop device: losetup -c loopdev DESCRIPTION
losetup is used to associate loop devices with regular files or block devices, to detach loop devices, and to query the status of a loop device. If only the loopdev argument is given, the status of the corresponding loop device is shown. If no option is given, all loop devices are shown. Note that the old output format (i.e., losetup -a) with comma-delimited strings is deprecated in favour of the --list output format. It's possible to create more independent loop devices for the same backing file. This setup may be dangerous, can cause data loss, corrup- tion and overwrites. Use --nooverlap with --find during setup to avoid this problem. OPTIONS
The size and offset arguments may be followed by the multiplicative suffixes KiB (=1024), MiB (=1024*1024), and so on for GiB, TiB, PiB, EiB, ZiB and YiB (the "iB" is optional, e.g., "K" has the same meaning as "KiB") or the suffixes KB (=1000), MB (=1000*1000), and so on for GB, TB, PB, EB, ZB and YB. -a, --all Show the status of all loop devices. Note that not all information is accessible for non-root users. See also --list. The old output format (as printed without --list) is deprecated. -d, --detach loopdev... Detach the file or device associated with the specified loop device(s). Note that since Linux v3.7 kernel uses "lazy device destruc- tion". The detach operation does not return EBUSY error anymore if device is actively used by system, but it is marked by autoclear flag and destroyed later. -D, --detach-all Detach all associated loop devices. -f, --find [file] Find the first unused loop device. If a file argument is present, use the found device as loop device. Otherwise, just print its name. --show Display the name of the assigned loop device if the -f option and a file argument are present. -L, --nooverlap Check for conflicts between loop devices to avoid situation when the same backing file is shared between more loop devices. If the file is already used by another device then re-use the device rather than a new one. The option makes sense only with --find. -j, --associated file [-o offset] Show the status of all loop devices associated with the given file. -o, --offset offset The data start is moved offset bytes into the specified file or device. --sizelimit size The data end is set to no more than size bytes after the data start. -b, --sector-size size Set the logical sector size of the loop device in bytes (since Linux 4.14). The option may be used when create a new loop device as well as stand-alone command to modify sector size of the already existing loop device. -c, --set-capacity loopdev Force the loop driver to reread the size of the file associated with the specified loop device. -P, --partscan Force the kernel to scan the partition table on a newly created loop device. -r, --read-only Set up a read-only loop device. --direct-io[=on|off] Enable or disable direct I/O for the backing file. The optional argument can be either on or off. If the argument is omitted, it defaults to on. -v, --verbose Verbose mode. -l, --list If a loop device or the -a option is specified, print the default columns for either the specified loop device or all loop devices; the default is to print info about all devices. See also --output, --noheadings, --raw, and --json. -O, --output column[,column]... Specify the columns that are to be printed for the --list output. Use --help to get a list of all supported columns. -n, --noheadings Don't print headings for --list output format. --raw Use the raw --list output format. -J, --json Use JSON format for --list output. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -h, --help Display help text and exit. ENCRYPTION
Cryptoloop is no longer supported in favor of dm-crypt. For more details see cryptsetup(8). RETURN VALUE
losetup returns 0 on success, nonzero on failure. When losetup displays the status of a loop device, it returns 1 if the device is not configured and 2 if an error occurred which prevented determining the status of the device. FILES
/dev/loop[0..N] loop block devices /dev/loop-control loop control device EXAMPLE
The following commands can be used as an example of using the loop device. # dd if=/dev/zero of=~/file.img bs=1024k count=10 # losetup --find --show ~/file.img /dev/loop0 # mkfs -t ext2 /dev/loop0 # mount /dev/loop0 /mnt ... # umount /dev/loop0 # losetup --detach /dev/loop0 ENVIRONMENT
LOOPDEV_DEBUG=all enables debug output. AUTHORS
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com>, based on the original version from Theodore Ts'o <tytso@athena.mit.edu> AVAILABILITY
The losetup command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux November 2015 LOSETUP(8)

Featured Tech Videos