Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Redirect output of echo to a file Post 302842599 by alister on Friday 9th of August 2013 02:00:16 PM
Old 08-09-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC
Code:
printLine "********************USAGE*************************"
printLine "Script takes following  argument "
printLine "	Argument 1 : fully qualified path of the environment specific file"
printLine "Syntax :./complete_db_install.sh <argument1>"
printLine "*************************************************"

when i invoke this script without any parameters it redirects output to myfile.log but the problem i see is that all lines of usage except last line i.e "*****" does not get printed in log file instead a list of all files in the current directory gets printed in the log file.
I saw nothing in your code that causes pathname expansion (aka file globbing). Therefore, I suspect that the final line of asterisks is actually written correctly. Perhaps the source of the filenames you see is whatever code you're using to read the log.

A demonstration:
Code:
$ echo '*********' > file
$ cat file
$ echo $(cat file)
[ here you will see the current directory's contents, minus dot-files ]

So, exactly what code are you using to display myfile.log's contents?

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect output to file?

Hi: I am currently working on a program which requires direct its ouput to a file here is an example ./proram arg_1 arg_2 when program ends all output will be arg_2 file Is that possible I am not a bad programmer, However I am stuck there. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks SW (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slackware
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect output to a file

Ahhhrrrggg I'm having a brain fart... I want to take the output of a command and redirect it to a file... This works.... $ man cp | cat >> copy_help but this doesn't keytool -help |cat >> keytool_help It just produces... these lines... more keytool_help ] ... ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyc
11 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output to a file name

Hi all!! is possible to assign the output of some command to filename, i.e. grep_output.txt Otherwise, I want to open a new file which name is inside another, how can I do it? Thanks a lot! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csecnarf
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirect output into the middle of a file

If I want to cat one file and have the output inserted into a specific place on another file, how is this done? I know how to append >> and to overwrite > but say I have a file with: File1: abc def ghi jkl And a File with: File2: mno pqr stu vwx And I want to place the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How redirect standard output to a file

Hi guys, i have a script named purgeErrors.ksh, when i execute this script i need to redirect the output to a log file in the same directory, how can i do that ?? -- Aditya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaditya
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect output of ls to a file?

Hi All, I want to redirect only the file names to a new file from the ls -ltr directroy. how Can i do it. my ls -ltr output will be as below. -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 event.podl -rwxr-xr-x 1 118 103 28295 Jul 26 2006 xyz.podl I want my new file... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Redirect Topas output to a file

Hi, I want to know how to redirect the output of topas -P to a file in a readable format. I tried doing it by using topas -P > topas.txt but the output is not properly aligned and when I opened it using vi it ahd some characters. Please help me out in this. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Preetha
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to mail monitoring output if required or redirect output to log file

Below script perfectly works, giving below mail output. BUT, I want to make the script mail only if there are any D-Defined/T-Transition/B-Broken State WPARs and also to copy the output generated during monitoring to a temporary log file, which gets cleaned up every week. Need suggestions. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_admin_007
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect script output to a file and mail the output

Hi Guys, I want to redirect the output of 3 scripts to a file and then mail the output of those three scripts. I used below but it is not working: OFILE=/home/home1/report1 echo "report1 details" > $OFILE =/home/home1/1.sh > $OFILE echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo cannot redirect first or second output to logfile

I created a script to do some work. I want to use "echo" to redirect "date" to log file. echo works to screen. But cannot redirect first or second "echo" output to logfile. Please help. My code looks like: STARTTIME=`date +%m-%d-%Y` LOGFILE=/directory/logfile.log echo "Start time:" $STARTTIME... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
8 Replies
MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)													       MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)

mssql_field_seek - Seeks to the specified field offset

SYNOPSIS
bool mssql_field_seek (resource $result, int $field_offset) DESCRIPTION
Seeks to the specified field offset. If the next call to mssql_fetch_field(3) won't include a field offset, this field would be returned. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). o $field_offset - The field offset, starts at 0. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using mssql_field_seek(3) on the example for mssql_fetch_field(3) <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database mssql_connect('MANGOSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php'); // Send a select query to MSSQL $query = mssql_query('SELECT * FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct table echo '<h3>Table structure for 'persons'</h3>'; echo '<table border="1">'; // Table header echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>Field name</td>'; echo '<td>Data type</td>'; echo '<td>Max length</td>'; echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; // Dump all fields echo '<tbody>'; for ($i = 0; $i < mssql_num_fields($query); ++$i) { // Fetch the field information, notice the // field_offset parameter is not set. See // the mssql_field_seek call below $field = mssql_fetch_field($query); // Print the row echo '<tr>'; echo '<td>' . $field->name . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . strtoupper($field->type) . '</td>'; echo '<td>' . $field->max_length . '</td>'; echo '</tr>'; // Move the internal seek pointer to the next // row in the result set mssql_field_seek($query, $i + 1); } echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Free the query result mssql_free_result($query); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_fetch_field(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_FIELD_SEEK(3)