Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Sort the file based on number of occurences Post 302842395 by Klashxx on Friday 9th of August 2013 05:49:00 AM
Old 08-09-2013
@Jotne try to use an absolute path.
Ex:
Code:
xargs -i /bin/ksh -c 'grep "^{}" data'

or:
Code:
xargs -i /bin/sh -c 'grep "^{}" data

Tested in redhat 6.3

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of occurences of a string

hi, I have a file where i need to count the occurences of a string ex) 'welcome to unix forum'. can anybody help me out (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddu_chittari
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of occurences

Hi All, I have to count the number of occurences of the character " ; " in a given line. I had used the following awk command to achieve the same echo $KOP.dat|awk '{split($1,my,";"); for(i in my)c++ }END{print c-1}' My file KOP.dat had the following data ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of occurences

say i've got a text file with >10million sequences: ssss ssss tttttt uuuuuu uuuuuu uuuuuu ... I'd like to convert the file so that the output will report the number of occurence right by each sequence: 2 ssss 2 ssss 1 tttttt 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johjoh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk counting number of occurences

Hi, I am trying to count the max number of occurences of field1 in my apache log example: 10.0.0.1 field2 field3 10.0.0.2 filed2 field3 10.0.0.1 field2 field3 10.0.0.1 field2 field3 awk result to print out only the most occurence of field1 and number of occurence and field1 is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phamp008
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Number of word occurences in a file?

Hello world, Can anybody tell me how to count how many times does a word repeat in a file? There have been many threads on this but they all are heavy loads of Scripting for a starter like me. :D So, I sat down today and after some hours of reading man pages, I found a simple one-line... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
18 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurences based on interval

Hi, I have a file which has 4500 entries 10000 9880 9800 8700 8200 ... ..... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... 50 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Diya123
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort Files based on the number(s) on the file name

Experts I have a list of files in the directory mysample1 mysample2 mysample3 mysample4 mysample5 mysample6 mysample7 mysample8 mysample9 mysample10 mysample11 mysample12 mysample13 mysample14 mysample15 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsedi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count and print the number of occurences

I have some files as shown below GLL ALM 654-656 654 656 SEM LYG 655-657 655 657 SEM LYG 655-657 655 657 ALM LEG 656-658 656 658 ALM LEG 656-658 656 658 ALM LEG 656-658 656 658 LEG LEG 658-660 658 660 LEG LEG 658-660 658 660 The value of GLL is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arch
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of Consecutive Occurences

:b: Hi Folks, I have a requirement to find the number of consecutive occurences based on month. Here is the below sample of my requirement. I have say four columns CARUSERNAME BRAND_CODE MONTH YEAR Below is sample Data John|C|JAN|2013 Tim|C|FEB|2013 Tom|C|Mar|2013 Ron|C|Apr|2013... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort file based on number of delimeters in line

Hi, Need to sort file based on the number of delimeters in the lines. cat testfile /home/oracle/testdb /home /home/oracle/testdb/newdb /home/oracle Here delimeter is "/" expected Output: /home/oracle/testdb/newdb /home/oracle/testdb /home/oracle /home (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sumanthsv
3 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)