Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass back return code for file delete failure Post 302842213 by RudiC on Thursday 8th of August 2013 04:10:29 PM
Old 08-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAPDEVEL
. . . Is it possible to change the script to pass back the actual return code showing why the delete failed, . . .
Try this to report rm's exit code back to the caller

Code:
/bin/rm -f $path/$filen
status=$?
if [ "$status" -ne 0 ]
then
echo "The script failed to remove the file" 
exit $status
else
echo "The file was successfully deleted" 
fi

echo 'End of Script'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameter back to calling program

Hi all, I am running AIX version 4. I have a shell script that is calling another script. I want the called script to obtain a value and pass it back to the calling script. So far, I know that to pass a parameter to a called script is as such: sh proc2.sh $1 $2 etc. What I don't know how... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jthomas
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass a oracle variable back to the shell script

Hi, I am calling an oracle function that returns a number (either 0 or 2), how do I pass that pass to the wrapping shell script as I would like to do other things based on the value returned by the oracle function. Your help will be appreciated. -------------------------- sqlplus / <<... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jtrinh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to pass variable from awk to shell back

I am passing a varaible to from Shell to awk then I am doing some maniplation for that variable inside awk. I want that maniplated variable value back to shell , Is this possible .Please let me know. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: unishiva
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to return fail or pass from shell script on the basis of pl/sql code execution

Hi guys, I am quite new in shell scripting. I am tring to promote some oracle jobs into control-M. In control-M, I am calling a script which establishes a connection with database and execute some procedures. Now I want if that PL/sql Block got failed script should return failure to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok1301
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to trap script error and return line number of failure

Hey all UNIX nerds- I've built a shell script which runs pretty well- only I want it to have much better error trapping. (Like the kind I could apply to every shell script I write). I'm not a UNIX genius, and could really use a bit of help. The original script goes something like this: 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevekerver
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a string pattern in a file and write back to the same file

I have a control file which looks like this LOAD DATA INFILE '/array/data/data_Finished_T5_col_change/home/oracle/emp.dat' PRESERVE BLANKS INTO TABLE SCOTT.EMP FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' TRAILING NULLCOLS (................. ..................) How can i edit the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mwrg
1 Replies

7. Programming

How to pass int and return string in C?

hi I want to write a function which takes int as input and returns a string like this. char GetString(int iNo) { switch(iNo) { case 0: return "Zero"; break; case 1: return "One"; break; } } void main() { int i; printf("Enter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharalikhan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass value back to unix variable

i had this unix korn shell code that connects to oracle database and execute the oracle procedure. i need to add a variable that indicates the oracle procedure failed. basically the variable is to check if the oracle procedure failed it will assign 1 and when the variable is equal to 1 it will not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to pass Oracle SQL output to Linux and back... Help!

Hi all, Hopefully you can help. This is what I'm trying to achieve: Obtain a list of usernames out of an Oracle Database Based on this list, link each username with an Oracle Internet Directory (OID) GUID Using the username and GUID perform a database update for all users Here are the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help to delete carriage return and new line in csv file

Hi All, I have a problem loading the data from a csv file As you see below in the Input ,For the Data starting with " there are 2 lines, which i want to make them into single without changing the format of that data. You can see the desired output below: While i try to open the csv file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
4 Replies
asadmin-delete-jms-resource(1AS)				   User Commands				  asadmin-delete-jms-resource(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-delete-jms-resource, delete-jms-resource - removes the JMS resource SYNOPSIS
delete-jms-resource --user admin_user [--password admin_password][--host localhost] [--port 4848] [--secure|-s] [--passwordfile filename] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--interactive=true] jndi_name Removes the JMS resource. This command is supported in remote mode only. OPTIONS
--user authorized domain application server administrative username. --password password to administer the domain application server. --host machine name where the domain application server is running. --port port number of the domain application server listening for administration requests. --secure if true, uses SSL/TLS to communicate with the domain application server. --passwordfile file containing the domain application server password. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. --interactive prompts you for the required options that are not already specified. OPERANDS
jndi_name JNDI name of the JMS resource to be deleted. Example 1: Using the delete-jms-resource command asadmin> delete-jms-resource --user admin1 --password adminadmin1 --host pigeon --port 5001 sample_jms_resource Command delete-jms-resource executed successfully Where: sample_jms_resource is the resource that is deleted. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-jms-resource(1AS), asadmin-list-jms-resources(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-delete-jms-resource(1AS)