Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to recover root password on SuSE? Post 302842205 by samnyc on Thursday 8th of August 2013 04:06:08 PM
Old 08-08-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nix4life
I outlined the method I use for some coworkers recently. Hope this helps.

Code:
1. Download the ISO for a Linux Distro called FINNIX. I recommend downloading version 107, seems to be a bug in the latest version.
2. Boot the system with the Finnix ISO.
3. Once you're at the shell type fdisk -l and locate the root partiton (i.e. /dev/sda2).
4. Next mount the root partition:
    mount /dev/sda2 /mnt
    mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
5. Then chroot the root partition:
    chroot /mnt/
6. Use the passwd command to reset the root password to whatever you want.
7. Finally type exit and reboot the server.

Thank you so much. I will try this tomorrow.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Recover root password

I need to recover root password on a test server (E 10k) running solaris 9. Can someone please tell me how to do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nitinkgoud
1 Replies

2. Solaris

How to recover root password

How to recover root password in solaris, I forgot root password. thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Need to recover 'root' password

Dear All, I have lost my data backup server's root password, just have a normal login username and password ..but i need to get back my root passwd....any1 can help me out plz :confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: abir
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

root password on aix lost, how to recover

Hi guys, we have "forget" the root password for 1 of our AIX machines, how can we reset it? or recover it?? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to recover root password in AIX ?

Dears, We have Oracle Database installed on AIX Version 5.3 and we have to take action urgently but must by root user but unfortunately we lost password. How to recover root password? Please, be noted that I am Oracle DBA and do not have experience in dealing with AIX Systems. Please, advise... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohammedmostafa
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Recover root password

How can I recover root password :wall: 1) I am running Solaris 10 (X86) through VMware for practicing. 2) I was practicing root password recovery and deleted the password in /etc/shadow file. 3) Neither cant login the to the CLI nor Console 4) Selected the Soalris X86 failsafe in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaykrishna
4 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to recover the root password?

Hello forum members, Please help me to recover the root password. i can login with the user in redhat linux but i forget root password. so pleas help me to recover. advance thanks siva. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: workforsiva
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

NCR UNIX system v/386 release 4 recover root password

we have NCR 3455 system from long time as attached all information for server (images) , so we need your help to assist us to get root password which lost it , really we appreciate your efforts if you can send us the procedure for resting the administrator (root) password which this server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: univoip
0 Replies

9. Solaris

How recover the root password - Solaris 11?

Hello forum members, Please help me to recover the root password. I have had difficulties working with Solaris 11. The run-level equivalents single-user in Solaris 10, I can mount disk in one partition and edit files shadow/passwd. For example: {0} ok boot cdrom -s # mount... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marcela Bueno
4 Replies
build(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     build(1)

NAME
build - build SuSE Linux RPMs in a chroot environment SYNOPSIS
build [--clean|--no-init] [--rpms path1:path2:...] [--arch arch1:arch2:...] [--root buildroot] [specfile|srcrpm] build --help build --verify DESCRIPTION
build is a tool to build SuSE Linux RPMs in a safe and clean way. build will install a minimal SuSE Linux as build system into some direc- tory and will chroot to this system to compile the package. This way you don't risk to corrupt your working system (due to a broken spec file for example), even if the package does not use BuildRoot. build searches the spec file for a BuildRequires: line; if such a line is found, all the specified rpms are installed. Otherwise a selec- tion of default packages are used. Note that build doesn't automatically resolve missing dependencies, so the specified rpms have to be sufficient for the build. If a spec file is specified on the command line, build will use this file and all other files in the directory for building the package. If a srcrpm is specified, build automatically unpacks it for the build. If neither is given, build will use all the specfiles in the current directory. OPTIONS
--clean remove the build system and reinitialize it from scratch. --no-init skip the build system initialization and start with build immediately. --list-state list rpms that would be used to create a fresh build root. Does not create the build root or perform a build. --rpms path1:path2:path3... Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs needed to create the build system. This option overrides the BUILD_RPMS environment vari- able. --arch arch1:arch2:arch3... What architectures to select from the RPMs. build automatically sets this to a sensible value for your host if you don't specify this option. --root buildroot Specifies where the build system is set up. Overrides the BUILD_ROOT enviroment variable. --useusedforbuild Tell build not to do dependency expansion, but to extract the list of packages to install from "# usedforbuild" lines or, if none are found, from all "BuildRequires" lines. This option is useful if you want to re-build a package from a srcrpm with exactly the same packages used for the srcrpm build. --norootforbuild --help Print a short help text. --verify verify the files in an existing build system. .spec FILE OPTIONS The build command interprets some special control comments in the specfile: # norootforbuild # needsrootforbuild build uses either user root or user abuild in the build system to do the build. For non-SUSE distros as well as since SUSE 10.2, the default build user is abuild. For 10.2 and before, the default build user is root. These two flags in the spec file allow to deviate from the defaults and force-set the build user to abuild and root (for # norootforbuild and # needsrootforbuild respec- tively. # needsbinariesforbuild provide the binary rpms that have been used to set up the build root in /.build.binaries within the build root. ENVIRONMENT
BUILD_ROOT The directory where build should install the chrooted build system. "/var/tmp/build-root" is used by default. BUILD_RPMS Where build can find the SuSE Linux RPMs. build needs them to create the build system. "/media/dvd/suse" is the default value which will do the trick if you have the SuSE Linux DVD mounted. BUILD_RPM_BUILD_STAGE The rpm build stage (-ba, -bb, ...). This is just passed through to rpm, check the rpm manpage for a complete list and descrip- tions. "-ba" is the default. You can use this to add more options to RPM. SEE ALSO
rpm(1), Maximum RPM: http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/ cross distribution packaging: http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/cross_distribution_package_how_to SUSE packaging standards and guidelines: http://en.opensuse.org/Packaging (c) 1997-2008 SuSE Linux AG Nuernberg, Germany build(1)