Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Pass back return code for file delete failure Post 302842009 by Just Ice on Thursday 8th of August 2013 10:41:03 AM
Old 08-08-2013
you need to redirect the error from /bin/rm -f $path/$filen to a log file ...

also, you should get in the habit of indenting your code blocks to make your scripts easier to debug and remove the extraneous "#" in your comments as well as get in the habit of using the shebang line (i.e., #! /bin/bash) ....
Code:
#! /bin/bash
echo "Running:" $0

# Check to see if the correct number of parameters are entered. 
if [ $# -lt 2 ]
then
    echo "$0, did not get 2 arguments - ABORTING!" 
    echo "Please enter the path name in PARAM1 as dir/dir/dir"
    echo "and enter the file name in PARAM2 as nameXXX"
    exit 1
fi
echo "Path:" $1
echo "File:" $2
sleep 60
path=$1 
filen=$2

/bin/rm -f $path/$filen 2> /tmp/errlog
if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
    echo "The script failed to remove the file" 
    exit 2
else
    echo "The file was successfully deleted" 
fi

echo 'End of Script'

exit 0

This User Gave Thanks to Just Ice For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass parameter back to calling program

Hi all, I am running AIX version 4. I have a shell script that is calling another script. I want the called script to obtain a value and pass it back to the calling script. So far, I know that to pass a parameter to a called script is as such: sh proc2.sh $1 $2 etc. What I don't know how... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: jthomas
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pass a oracle variable back to the shell script

Hi, I am calling an oracle function that returns a number (either 0 or 2), how do I pass that pass to the wrapping shell script as I would like to do other things based on the value returned by the oracle function. Your help will be appreciated. -------------------------- sqlplus / <<... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jtrinh
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible to pass variable from awk to shell back

I am passing a varaible to from Shell to awk then I am doing some maniplation for that variable inside awk. I want that maniplated variable value back to shell , Is this possible .Please let me know. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: unishiva
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to return fail or pass from shell script on the basis of pl/sql code execution

Hi guys, I am quite new in shell scripting. I am tring to promote some oracle jobs into control-M. In control-M, I am calling a script which establishes a connection with database and execute some procedures. Now I want if that PL/sql Block got failed script should return failure to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok1301
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to trap script error and return line number of failure

Hey all UNIX nerds- I've built a shell script which runs pretty well- only I want it to have much better error trapping. (Like the kind I could apply to every shell script I write). I'm not a UNIX genius, and could really use a bit of help. The original script goes something like this: 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevekerver
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete a string pattern in a file and write back to the same file

I have a control file which looks like this LOAD DATA INFILE '/array/data/data_Finished_T5_col_change/home/oracle/emp.dat' PRESERVE BLANKS INTO TABLE SCOTT.EMP FIELDS TERMINATED BY '|' OPTIONALLY ENCLOSED BY '"' TRAILING NULLCOLS (................. ..................) How can i edit the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mwrg
1 Replies

7. Programming

How to pass int and return string in C?

hi I want to write a function which takes int as input and returns a string like this. char GetString(int iNo) { switch(iNo) { case 0: return "Zero"; break; case 1: return "One"; break; } } void main() { int i; printf("Enter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: atharalikhan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pass value back to unix variable

i had this unix korn shell code that connects to oracle database and execute the oracle procedure. i need to add a variable that indicates the oracle procedure failed. basically the variable is to check if the oracle procedure failed it will assign 1 and when the variable is equal to 1 it will not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtolentino
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to pass Oracle SQL output to Linux and back... Help!

Hi all, Hopefully you can help. This is what I'm trying to achieve: Obtain a list of usernames out of an Oracle Database Based on this list, link each username with an Oracle Internet Directory (OID) GUID Using the username and GUID perform a database update for all users Here are the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: exm
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help to delete carriage return and new line in csv file

Hi All, I have a problem loading the data from a csv file As you see below in the Input ,For the Data starting with " there are 2 lines, which i want to make them into single without changing the format of that data. You can see the desired output below: While i try to open the csv file and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
4 Replies
SIEVESHELL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SIEVESHELL(1)

NAME
sieveshell - remotely manipulate sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
sieveshell [--user=user] [--authname=authname] [--realm=realm] [--exec=script] server[:port] sieveshell --help DESCRIPTION
sieveshell allows users to manipulate their scripts on a remote server. It works via MANAGESIEVE, a work in progress. The following commands are recognized: list list scripts on server. put <filename> upload script to server. get <name> [<filename>] get script. if no filename display to stdout delete <name> delete script. activate <name> activate script. deactivate deactivate all scripts. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user The authorization name to request; by default, derived from the authentication credentials. -a authname, --authname=authname The user to use for authentication (defaults to current user). -r realm, --realm=realm The realm to attempt authentication in. -e script, --exec=script Instead of working interactively, run commands from script, and exit when done. REFERENCES
[MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T.; "A Protocol for Remotely Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-ietf-managesieve-03.txt, Mirapoint, Inc.; May 2001, work in progress. AUTHOR
Tim Martin <tmartin@mirapoint.com>, and the rest of the Cyrus team <cyrus-bugs@andrew.cmu.edu>. perl v5.10.0 2008-04-04 SIEVESHELL(1)