Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File handling issue
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File handling issue Post 302841969 by Gurkamal83 on Thursday 8th of August 2013 09:56:20 AM
Old 08-08-2013
File handling issue

Hi All,

I am running into an issue. I have a very big file. Wants to split it in smaller chunks. This file has multiple header/ trailers. Also, between each header/trailer there are records. Number of records in each header trailer combination can vary. Also, headers can start with 202XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, same for trailer.
Records start like 1101XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

I want to split file say like
Code:
split -l 99999 filename.

Say last 8 records are like
Code:
1. 202XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-Head
2. 1101XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3. 202XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-Trail
4. 202XXXXXXXXXXXXXX-Head
5. 1101XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
6. 1101XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
7. 1101XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
8. 1101XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

My script should put till record 3 in first file and records from 4 onwards in the next file as maching trailer for header starting at record 4 is missing.

Can someone help. Please ask all queries.

Regards

Last edited by Scott; 08-08-2013 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Added Code tags [7th time]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

File Handling in C

Hi all, I have a problem in handling files through C. here is the problem im having: i will query the database (for instance consider employees table ) for empno,ename,job,salary fields.The query returns me some 100 of rows. now i need to place them in a file in row wise pattern as they... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trinath
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

please help me in file handling

sir i have to get first line from a file for example >cat file1 abc zxc asd adsf from that file1 i need only first line expected result >abc please help me ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ponmuthu
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX File handling -Issue in reading a file

I have been doing automation of daily check activity for a server, i have been using sqls to retrive the data and while loop for reading the data from the file for several activities. BUT i got a show stopper the below one.. where the data is getting store in $temp_file, but not being read by while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Error handling,not able to continue the script further

Hi, I am trying to write a script to cleanup files in a log directory .. cd log find Datk** -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; 2> /dev/null Have used the above to clean up files in log directory more then 7 days older. The file can be something like ( auto-generate by some processes and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX file handling issue

I have a huge file semicolon( ; ) separated records are Pipe(|) delimited. e.g abc;def;ghi|jkl;mno;pqr|123;456;789 I need to replace the 50th field(semicolon separated) of each record with 9006. The 50th field can have no value e.g. ;; Can someone help me with the appropriate command. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gurkamal83
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Large file data handling issue

I have a single record large file, semicolon ';' and pipe '|' separated. I am doing a vi on the file. It is throwing an error "File to long" I need to actually remove the last | symbol from this file. sed -e 's/\|*$//' filename is working fine for small files. But not working on this big... (13 Replies)
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Handling

Hi Team, I am trying to cut a large file into multiple files. It has Header 50,050 records Trailer ------------------------------------------- I need to cut the files into multiple files of 1000 records and should have the same header and trailer as the original files. ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ISSUE in handling multiple same name files :-(

Dear all, My work is completely stuck cos of the following issue. Please find it here and kindly help me. Task is following: I have set of files with such pattern 1t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 119 Jun 11 10:45 vgtree_5_1_pfs.root 3t-rw-rw-r-- 1 emily emily 145 Jun 11 10:46 vgtree_5_3_pfs.root... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue handling single quoted argument in shell script.

Below is my script that works fine and prints the desired output: #!/bin/ksh echo "$1" | while IFS= read -r dirpath do echo "DIRR_PATH:$dirpath" install_dir=$install_dir" "$dirpath done echo "Desired Output:$install_dir" Output: ./loopissue.sh... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File handling

Hi All, I need to extract the data from the text file. The data of the text file is shown below #L 0.000017 4.329939 0.000017 4.716267 r7.9 P 1 1;Net=IN32 The extracted data should be IN32. Could anyone help to script in c shell.? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopishrine
4 Replies
UUENCODE(5)							File Formats Manual						       UUENCODE(5)

NAME
uuencode - format of an encoded uuencode file DESCRIPTION
Files output by uuencode(1) consist of a header line, followed by a number of body lines, and a trailer line. The uudecode(1) command will ignore any lines preceding the header or following the trailer. Lines preceding a header must not, of course, look like a header. The header line is distinguished by having the first 6 characters begin This is followed by a mode (in octal), and a string which names the remote file. A space character separates the three items in the header line. The body consists of a number of lines, each at most 62 characters long (including the trailing newline). These consist of a character count, followed by encoded characters, followed by a newline. The character count is a single printing character, and represents an inte- ger, the number of bytes the rest of the line represents. Such integers are always in the range from 0 to 63 and can be determined by sub- tracting the character space (octal 40) from the character. Groups of 3 bytes are stored in 4 characters, 6 bits per character. All are offset by a space to make the characters printing. The last line may be shorter than the normal 45 bytes. If the size is not a multiple of 3, this fact can be determined by the value of the count on the last line. Extra garbage will be included to make the character count a multiple of 4. The body is terminated by a line with a count of zero. This line consists of one ASCII space. The trailer line consists of end on a line by itself. SEE ALSO
uuencode(1), uudecode(1), uusend(1), uucp(1), mail(1) HISTORY
The uuencode file format appeared in BSD 4.0 . UUENCODE(5)