Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RHEL4 on VM cannot get status network link down Post 302841697 by arm_naja on Wednesday 7th of August 2013 10:50:44 PM
Old 08-07-2013
RHEL4 on VM cannot get status network link down

Hi All,

RHEL4 on VM cannot get status network link down.

when I unplug network cable.
- ESX found interface down
- but VM RHEL4 not detect that !, It show still up (mii-tool)

Please help share you idea for my case.

ESXi 5.1.0, RHEL4

Thank you,

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Network Status

Hi, My system ( Solaris 2.6, Entrerprise 250 ) shows lot of connections in TIME_WAIT status against service localhost.8007 and localhost.45221 What are these services and where can I get the cross references. I have checked up in /etc/services and there is no such entry. Infact... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shibz
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple Network Card Status Script

I have multiple Sun Solaris 8 systems running multiple network cards. (Mix of quad and gig cards.) What I would like to do is create a monitor script to ensure high availability of these cards. Has anyone ever had a situation like this? I was thinking of using the ping command, but am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Krusty
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed of network link

Sorry to keep bothering you guys like this with all these boring, related questions. But here's one that should be more readily answerable. What command or file should i use to get the speed/data rate of a network link? This is the capacity speed for instance 10Mbps or 100 Mbps in the case of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mint1981
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Link status turning up and down continously

Hi All, Happy New Year. I have a weird situation in one of my servers.The OS is solaris 10 We don't have bcme1 interface configured/plumbed on that system but every 5 second i get this message in /var/adm/messages Jan 4 20:22:45 XXXX bcme: NOTICE: bcme1 : Link is Up (1000Mbps, Full... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
3 Replies

5. Solaris

How to retrieve network link status from Kernel?

I have need for a reliable and easy way to get from within a script, or a java class, the status of the network interface cards (whether the link is up, or down). I believe the kernel status would be quicker to know if they were up or down rather than if a ping simply didnt respond back. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"Network error: No route to host" While connecting guest RHEL4 using putty

Hi, I have installed RHEL4 using vmware workstation.. Host OS: Windows XP Guest OS: RHEL4 Pls refer step 17 & 18 in below link... ORACLE-BASE - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 and Centos 4 Installation 1) If i choose to assign IP automatically (using DHCP) means, i am able to connect RHEL4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasraj87
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Network script for ping status

Actually I am using Red hat Linux 4.4 version. I want to check the 16 client pc status of connection from server.Whether the connection is available or not.I tried to develop the shell script for this code.But It don't work properly.I am a self study learner.Please give me a shell script for this... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kannansoft1985
9 Replies

8. Solaris

Link aggregation and status of network interfaces in “ipadm” command

I am again rephrasing the issue that we are facing: We are creating link aggregations with two interfaces named net0 & net5: # dladm create-aggr -m dlmp -l net0 -l net5 -l net2 aggr1 Setting prob targets for aggr1: # dladm set-linkprop -p probe-ip=+ aggr1 Setting failure detection... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitanshu.verma
3 Replies
MII-DIAG(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       MII-DIAG(8)

NAME
mii-diag - Network adapter control and monitoring SYNOPSIS
mii-diag [options]<interface> DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the mii-diag network adapter control and monitoring command. Addition documentation is available from http://scyld.com/diag/index.html. This mii-diag command configures, controls and monitors the transceiver management registers for network interfaces, and configures driver operational parameters. For transceiver control mii-diag uses the Media Independent Interface (MII) standard (thus the command name). It also has additional Linux-specific controls to communicate parameters such as message enable settings and buffer sizes to the underlying device driver. The MII standard defines registers that control and report network transceiver capabilities, link settings and errors. Examples are link speed, duplex, capabilities advertised to the link partner, status LED indications and link error counters. OPTIONS
The mii-diag command supports both single character and long option names. Short options use a single dash ('-') in front of the option character. For options without parameters, multiple options may be concatenated after a single dash. Long options are prefixed by two dashes ('--'), and may be abbreviated with a unique prefix. A long option may take a parameter of the form --arg=param or --arg param. A summary of options is as follows. -A, --advertise <speed|setting> -F, --fixed-speed <speed|setting> Speed is one of: 100baseT4, 100baseTx, 100baseTx-FD, 100baseTx-HD, 10baseT, 10baseT-FD, 10baseT-HD. For more precise control an explicit numeric register setting is also allowed. -a, --all-interfaces Show the status of all interfaces. This option is not recommended with any other option, especially ones that change settings. -s,--status Return exit status 2 if there is no link beat. -D Increase the debugging level. This may be used to understand the actions the command is taking. -g, --read-parameters Show driver-specific parameters. -G, --set-parameters value[,value...] Set driver-specific parameters. Set a adapter-specific parameters. Parameters are comma separated, with missing elements retaining the existing value. -v Increase the verbosity level. Additional "-v" options increase the level further. -V Show the program version information. -w, --watch Continuously monitor the transceiver and report changes. -? Emit usage information. DESCRIPTION
Calling the command with just the interface name produces extensive output describing the transceiver capabilities, configuration and cur- rent status. The '--monitor' option allows scripting link beat changes. This option is similar to --watch, but with lower overhead and simplified output. It polls the interface only once a second and the output format is a single line per link change with three fixed words <unknown|down||negotiating|up> <STATUS> <PARTNER-CAP> Example output: mii-diag --monitor eth0 down 0x7809 0x0000 negotiating 0x7829 0x45e1 up 0x782d 0x45e1 down 0x7809 0x0000 This may be used as mii-diag --monitor eth0 | while read linkstatus bmsr linkpar; do case $linkstatus in up) ifup eth0 ;; down) ifdown eth0 ;; esac done It may be useful to shorten the DHCP client daemon timeout if it does not receive an address by adding the following setting to /etc/sysconfig/network: DHCPCDARGS="-t 3" SEE ALSO
ether-wake(8),net-diag(8),mii-tool(8). Addition documentation is available from http://scyld.com/diag/index.html. KNOWN BUGS
The --all-interfaces option is quirky. There are very few settings that are usefully applied to all interfaces. AUTHOR
The manual pages, diagnostic commands, and many of the underlying Linux network drivers were written by Donald Becker for the Scyld Beowulf(tm) cluster system. Scyld Beowulftm September 9, 2003 MII-DIAG(8)