Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support How to append date and time stamp before the two extensions? Post 302840719 by otheus on Tuesday 6th of August 2013 11:03:47 AM
Old 08-06-2013
User agn takes the approach I would, but FYI: but he has a coding error.

Code:
for f in *txt.xls; do suffix=${f#*.}; p=${f%.$suffix}; echo mv $f ${p}_$(date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%N).${s}; done

This code below does the same thing while completely parameterizing the suffix.

Code:
datestamp=$(date +%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%N)
suffix=".txt.xls"
ls -1 *$suffix | 
while read f; do
    p=${f%$suffix}
    echo mv \"$f\" \"${p}_${datestamp}${suffix}\"
done

To actually execute the code (the above just echos the commands), pipe the whole thing through sh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File date and time stamp

I have to capture the creation date and time stamp for a file. The ls command doesn't list all the required information. I need year, month, day, hour, minute and second. Any ideas... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xenon
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date Time Stamp

I'm trying to write a script that checks the DTS of a file the compares it to the current time. If greater that 60 mins has gone by and the file has not been written to alert. So far I have the time pulled from the file but I dont know how to compare the times against a 60 min difference. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jarich
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert Time and Date Stamp

I have a directory with following files in it ABC.000.DAT ABC.001.DAT ABC.002.DAT ABC.003.DAT I want to insert time and date stamp in file names like ABC.000.YYYYMMDDHHMM.DAT I able to insert the time and date stamp at the end of filename Kindly help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aajmani
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date/Time Stamp

Hi All, Wondering if there is have a date added at the end of a test string. I have a hypothetical text file day one: John Paul George When the file day one is output, I'd like it to read something like this: John 101406 Paul 101406 George 101406 Day two, when the same text file... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimmyFlip
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsync - date/time stamp

Hi, We are using RSYNC for syncing remote directories and working great. Our requirement is to have the destination files with date/time stamp of when they're copied on to the destination server, NOT the date/time stamps of source files/directories. As RSYNC, by default, preserving the same... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

append date time stamp via ftp script

I have searched several thread and not found my solution, so I am posting a new qustion. I have a very simple script on an AIX server that FTPs 2 files to a MS FTP server. These 2 files are created on the AIX server every hour, with a static name. I need to FTP the files to the MS server, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sknisely
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls -ltr for a future date/time stamp file

Hi When i do ls -ltr <file1> then it shows me the date and time of the file if - for whatever reason file has future date/time stamp then ls -ltr is not showing the time, it just shows only date part ... even if time is ahead by 2 hr than current time. suppose a file was copied from INDIA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: reldb
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set date and time stamp of one file to another

Hi I use "touch -t xxxxxxxx" command to set date/time stamp of a file. My requirement is to read the date/time stamp of a file and apply it to another file. Is there anyway to do it simple instead of manually taking date/stamp of first file? TIA Prvn (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files with date and time stamp

Hi Folks, Need a clarification on files with date and time stamp. Here is my requirement. There is a file created everyday with the following format "file.txt.YYYYMMDDHHMMSS". Now i need to check for this file and if it is available then i need to do some task to the file. I tried... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayadanabalan
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl:Script to append date and time stamp

Help with Perl script : I have a web.xml file with a line <display-name>some_text_here</display-name> Need to append the current date and time stamp to the string and save the XML file Something like <display-name>some_text_here._01_23_2014_03_56_33</display-name> -->Finally want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaurav99
5 Replies
BASENAME(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       BASENAME(1)

NAME
basename, dirname -- return filename or directory portion of pathname SYNOPSIS
basename string [suffix] basename [-a] [-s suffix] string [...] dirname string DESCRIPTION
The basename utility deletes any prefix ending with the last slash '/' character present in string (after first stripping trailing slashes), and a suffix, if given. The suffix is not stripped if it is identical to the remaining characters in string. The resulting filename is written to the standard output. A non-existent suffix is ignored. If -a is specified, then every argument is treated as a string as if basename were invoked with just one argument. If -s is specified, then the suffix is taken as its argument, and all other arguments are treated as a string. The dirname utility deletes the filename portion, beginning with the last slash '/' character to the end of string (after first stripping trailing slashes), and writes the result to the standard output. EXAMPLES
The following line sets the shell variable FOO to /usr/bin. FOO=`dirname /usr/bin/trail` DIAGNOSTICS
The basename and dirname utilities exit 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csh(1), sh(1) STANDARDS
The basename and dirname utilities are expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
April 18, 1994 BSD