Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy files given a range of numbers Post 302840173 by shoaibjameel123 on Sunday 4th of August 2013 10:46:28 PM
Old 08-04-2013
Copy files given a range of numbers

Hi,
I have about 500 files in a directory. The filenames are numbered i.e. 1.dat, 2.dat, 3.dat,...,500.dat.

I have 5 other empty directories where I have to copy the files in different range of numbers, for example, 1.dat to 300.dat in dir1, or 200.dat to 500.dat in dir2, another example 100.dat to 400.dat in dir3, and so on. As you can see I am copying any 300 files in given the range to any directory.

The problem that I am facing is that I cannot specify the range. I tried the command below thinking that each run will select different files in any combination, but they turn out to be the same in all 5 directories. For me what matters the most is that only 300 files in any order or combination should be copied, and they should not strictly follow any serial order of numbers. But the prime requirement is that most of the files in different directories should be different barring few common ones.

Code:
cp `ls -ltr | grep ^- | head -300 | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f9` destination

I am using Linux with BASH.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that can Copy a Range of files from Tape to Hard disk

Hi: I am a trying to write a script using a loop i guess. What I need to do is write a script that can allow my users to load a tape and copy a range of files from a tape to the hard disk. By range I mean, I would like the users to pick a range of numbers like files 3 - 8 and the script will... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: msjazzie
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can i copy files by date last modifed range?

When I do a ls -lt I get a list of files by date modified from newest to oldest. I would like to be able to copy some files to another directory using a date last modified range (i.e. Apr 30 - May 13) How could I do this? Thanks, Joe (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geauxsaints
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using grep on a range of numbers

Hi im new to unix and need to find a way to grep the top 5 numbers in a file and put them into another file. For example my file looks like this abcdef 50000 abcdef 45000 abcdef 40000 abcdef 35000 abcdef 30000 abcdef 25000 abcdef 20000 abcdef 15000 abcdef 10000 and so on... How can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ProgChick2oo9
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

read numbers from file and output which numbers belongs to which range

Howdy experts, We have some ranges of number which belongs to particual group as below. GroupNo StartRange EndRange Group0125 935300 935399 Group2006 935400 935476 937430 937459 Group0324 935477 935549 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Frequency of a range of numbers

Hello, I have a column where there are values from 1 to 150. I want to get the frequency of values in the following ranges: 1-5 6-10 11-15 .... .... .... 146-150 How can I do this in a for loop? Thanks, Guss (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count how many numbers in a certain range?

Hi I have a data file with two columns which looks like: 1 42 2 40 3 55 4 50 5 38 6 49 7 33 8 46 9 39 10 33 11 33 12 26 13 46 14 44 15 55 16 54 17 30 18 32 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marhuu
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a range of numbers

Dear Friends, I want to know how to grep for the lines that has a number between given range(start and end). I have tried the following sed command. sed -n -e '/20030101011442/,/20030101035519/p' However this requires both start and end to be part of the content being grepped. However... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tamil.pamaran
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep for a range of numbers?

I am trying to extract specific information from a large *.sam file (it's originally 28Gb). I want to extract all lines that are on chr3 somewhere in the range of 112,937,439-113,437,438. Here is a sample line from my file so you can get a feel for what each line looks like: seq.4 0 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: genGirl23
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match on a range of numbers

Hi, I'm trying to match a filename that could be called anything from vout001 to vout252 and was trying to do a small test but I'm not getting the result I thought I would.. Can some one tell me what I'm doing wrong? *****@********>echo $mynumber ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print range of numbers

Hi I am getting an argument which specifies the range of numbers. eg: 7-15 Is there a way that i can easily (avoiding loop) print the range of number between and including the specified above. The above example should translate to 7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tostay2003
3 Replies
geom(1) 																   geom(1)

NAME
geom - analyzes a molecular geometry input in Cartesian coordinates. DESCRIPTION
The program geom reads a set of Cartesian coordinates and determines from them the bond distances (Bohr and angstrom), bond angles, tor- sional angles, out-of-plane angles (optional), moments of inertia, and rotational constants. FILES REQUIRED
input.dat - Input file and one of the following: geom.dat - geometry file file11.dat - PSI-format geometry/gradient file FILES GENERATED
geom.out - file containing the analysis INPUT OPTIONS
The geom program has the following options: -h Print help information (these options). -aces [filename] Read the input in an ACES output format, with each line consisting of atomic symbol, atomic number, and Cartesian coordinates (in Bohr). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -qchem [filename] Read the input in an QCHEM output format, with each line consisting of the atom number, the atomic symbol, and Cartesian coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -xyz [filename] Read the input in an XYZ output format. The first line contains the number of atoms and the second line is a comment line. Subse- quent lines each contain the atomic symbol and Cartesian X Y and Z coordinates (in Angstroms). The optional argument is the name of the geometry input file, which defaults to geom.dat. -oop Print out-of-plane angles, where the angle a-b-c-d is defined as the angle formed by the vector a-d and the plane defined by atoms b, c, and d. DO_OOP = boolean Same as command-line switch -oop described above. ISOTOPES = matrix of reals/strings Used to specify masses to be used in the calculation of the center of mass and rotational constants. One array is provided for each isotopomer to be calculated. The arrays can mix floating point numbers with strings which designate isotopes. If this array is not given and file11.dat is present, then the masses will be obtained by converting the atomic numbers in file11. If masses are not given by ISOTOPES or by file11, then no mass-related quantities will be calculated. -g [filename] Read Cartesian coordinates from a file other than file11.dat. If a filename is not given, the default is geom.dat. The alternative file is assumed to be in a format similar to that of PSI's geom.dat. Since such files do not contain atomic numbers, the moments of inertia and rotational constants are not calculated if this option is used. READ_GEOM = boolean This option in input.dat tells geom to read the geometry from geom.dat in the PSI geom.dat format. -a Print parameters for all pair distances. PRINT_ALL_DIST = boolean Same as -a flag described above. -d distance Only print parameters involving pairs of atoms which are less than distance bohr apart (default value is 4.0 bohr). PRINT_DISTANCE = value Same as -d flag described above. -angstrom The input coordinates are in angstroms, not bohr. ANGSTROM = boolean If TRUE, the input coordinates are in angstroms instead of bohr. The default is FALSE. The following example is for calculating the geometrical information for water with several different isotopes. The geometry is read from geom.dat rather than from file11.dat. geom: ( read_geom = true isotopes = ( (O H H) (O D D) (O18 1.007825 1.007825) ) ) 5 June, 1998 geom(1)