Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading first column of file which start with space also Post 302838187 by ryandegreat25 on Monday 29th of July 2013 05:26:13 AM
Old 07-29-2013
cut will treat every space delimiter as separate column. so eliminating the spaces and aligning the output will be good with cut. awk will be able to handle task like this easily.
This User Gave Thanks to ryandegreat25 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL: reading 2 column data into Hash file

I am trying to read in a 2 column data file into Perl Hash array index. Here is my code. #!/usr/bin/perl -w use strict; use warnings; my $file = "file_a"; my @line = (); my $index = 0; my %ind_file = (); open(FILE, $file) or die($!); while(<FILE>) { chomp($_); if ($_ eq '') { ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subhap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading a column from xls file using perl

Hi Everyone! I have a problem in reading a specific column from .xls file using perl language and then manipulating on given criteria. Detailed Description of the problem:: I have one .xls file, in which i have to populate two columns based on Period_date column which is in same file. My... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kvth
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to avoid the truncating of multiple spaces into a single space while reading a line from a file?

consider the small piece of code while read line do echo $line done < example content of example file sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the output is like sadasdasdasdsa erwerewrwr ergdgdfgf rgerg erwererwr the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number?

How do you delete cells from a space delimited text file given row and column number? Letś say the row number is r and the column number is c. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to start reading from the nth line till the last line of a file.

Hi, For my reuirement, I have to read a file from the 2nd line till the last line<EOF>. Say, I have a file as test.txt, which as a header record in the first line followed by records in rest of the lines. for i in `cat test.txt` { echo $i } While doing the above loop, I have read... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding tags to a specific column of a space delimited text file

I have a space delimited text file with two columns. I would like to add NA to the first column of the text file. Input: 19625 10.4791768259 19700 10.8146489183 19701 10.9084026759 19702 10.9861346978 19703 10.9304364984 Output: NA19625 10.4791768259 NA19700 10.8146489183... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting rows from a space delimited text file based on the values of a column

I have a space delimited text file. I want to extract rows where the third column has 0 as a value and write those rows into a new space delimited text file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading columns from a text file and to make an array for each column

Hi, I am not so familiar with bash scripting and would appreciate your help here. I have a text file 'input.txt' like this: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 I want to store each column in an array like this a ={2 5 8}, b={3 6 9}, c={4 7 10} so that i can access any element, e.g b=6 for the later use. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading line by line from live log file using while loop and considering only those lines start from

Hi, I want to read a live log file line by line and considering those line which start from time stamp; Below code I am using, which read line but throws an exception when comparing line that does not contain error code tail -F /logs/COMMON-ERROR.log | while read myline; do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading the value of particular column from csv file

Hi Folks, I have the below csv file which is comma delimited , now from this file i need to read the value of the column der_id and then want to create a separate text file which will contain the value of the column der_id only please advise how to read the value of the column der_id and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: punpun66
3 Replies