Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sense key unit attention & iostat hardware and transport errors on SAN disks Post 302837509 by cerber0 on Friday 26th of July 2013 02:31:55 AM
Old 07-26-2013
I think that this can be related to the queue_depth settings on the environment.

Basically, the Storage Port is saturated and is rejecting HBA requested, normally identified by the ASC=0x29 messages and transport_errors.

In solaris, the queue_depth concept is named max_throttle

Each Storage Vendor (netapp, emc, hds, ibm) have different recommendation for this value

Review your Storage recommendation, and set this parameter,

On Systems using SUN drivers the HBA, you can use the next line on /etc/system to set the max_throttle and io_time

Code:
set ssd:ssd_max_throttle=x
set ssd:ssd_io_time=180

The queue_depth, basically is the max simultaneous operations that a Storage port can be receive.

For example I can see that your Storage is Hitachi,

for the enterprise line (USPV, VSP) this value is 2048
for the midrage line (AMS,HUS) this value is 512

Then, the max_throtlle (queue_depth) can be calculated with the next formula (for enterprise)

Code:
Queue Depth = 2048 / Total number of LUNs defined on the port <= 32

I hope that this help you

Only for reference, the next is a text from Hitachi Knowledge Base

Code:
Fix                   :                                                 All SUN HBAs 6799, 6727, 6748, 6757, 6767, 6768 are supported by the SUN device driver stack. 
It is an SSD device driver.
Sun Solaris has a default Queue_Depth of 64 and I/O timeout of 30 seconds.  In most cases these 
parameters MUST be changed to avoid transport errors, such as:
SCSI transport failed: reason 'tran_err': retrying command

Set as follows:
/etc/system
set ssd:ssd_io_time=180
set ssd:ssd_max_throttle=n
Where n is 8 or 256/# of active initiators/# of LUNs

(Refer to the 9900V or 9900 Series Hitachi Freedom Storage Lightning Sun Solaris Configuration Guides.) 

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

problem with disks on SAN

Hi I have a linux box attched to a SAN storage from EMC with RAID 5 .I understand that it has 3g cache howver a 20gb file creation takes too much time here are my results any ideas why time dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.img bs=1048576 count=20000 20000+0 records in 20000+0 records out 997.59s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. Solaris

iostat -nE with Hard Errors

iostat -nE returns the followings I want to know what is happening to my StorEDGE A1000? Can someone help me? It is a critical device. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickychung
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Sense Key: Media Error

Hi all, We have below WARNING in /var/adm/messages file from our Solaris server. WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0 (sd0): Error for Command: write(10) Error Level: Fatal Requested Block: 16745265 Error Block: 16745269 Vendor: SEAGATE Serial Number:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerboy
8 Replies

4. Solaris

SAN DISKS - Number of slices ?

Good morning to one and all :-) Thank god its Friday, as its bee na rubbish week for me ! So, a quick question. Disks ! Ive got a few local disks, and a few SAN disks used on my solaris server. Whats confusing me, and Im not sure if there's an issue at the SAN end, or my end, regarding the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

5. Solaris

What is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors?

what is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
3 Replies

6. Solaris

iostat -En errors

I all, I would like to know what are the causes of : -soft error -harderror -transport error and how to avoid and repare them. I got the iostat out put below: atng-mm01% iostat -En | grep -i hard c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 c0t0d1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaza
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identify SAN disks

Hello everybody, I'm using the binary inqraid (Linux RHEL) in order to retrieve information about SAN disks. The questions are: Given an LDEV, how do I know if the SAN disk related to this LDEV is being used by the OS? I mean, how can I demonstrate to "Storage department" that all disks of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Identify SAN disks not in use

Hello, How can I identify SAN disks not in use by the OS? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transport errors in iostat

Hi Unix experts, I have a question regarding a disk failure seen in "iostat -Enm" output: # iostat -Enm c1t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 7 Transport Errors: 9 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAU3073NCSUN72G Revision: 0802 Serial No: 0514F005M0 Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
5 Replies
DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::UniqueIdentifier(3)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	    DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::UniqueIdentifier(3)

NAME
DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::UniqueIdentifier - Storage component for RDBMSes supporting GUID types DESCRIPTION
This is a storage component for databases that support GUID types such as "uniqueidentifier", "uniqueidentifierstr" or "guid". GUIDs are generated automatically for PK columns with a supported data_type, as well as non-PK with auto_nextval set. METHODS
new_guid The composing class must set "new_guid" to the method used to generate a new GUID. It can also set it to "undef", in which case the user is required to set it, or a runtime error will be thrown. It can be: string In which case it is used as the name of database function to create a new GUID, coderef In which case the coderef should return a string GUID, using Data::GUID, or whatever GUID generation method you prefer. It is passed the $self DBIx::Class::Storage reference as a parameter. For example: $schema->storage->new_guid(sub { Data::GUID->new->as_string }); AUTHOR
See "AUTHOR" in DBIx::Class and "CONTRIBUTORS" in DBIx::Class. LICENSE
You may distribute this code under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-12-16 DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::UniqueIdentifier(3)