Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Sense key unit attention & iostat hardware and transport errors on SAN disks Post 302836335 by DukeNuke2 on Wednesday 24th of July 2013 03:03:11 AM
Old 07-24-2013
It could be the whole way of transport... From HBA to the transceiver over the cables to the other end of the system. it can also be a hardware error on the HBA itself. Also there can be a faulty device which may cause bus resets and therfore a rescan of the bus all the time.

The first thing I would try is to change two transceivers (from two HBAs; if you have) and see if the error is going with the transceiver or staying on the same controller.
This User Gave Thanks to DukeNuke2 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

problem with disks on SAN

Hi I have a linux box attched to a SAN storage from EMC with RAID 5 .I understand that it has 3g cache howver a 20gb file creation takes too much time here are my results any ideas why time dd if=/dev/zero of=disk.img bs=1048576 count=20000 20000+0 records in 20000+0 records out 997.59s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
2 Replies

2. Solaris

iostat -nE with Hard Errors

iostat -nE returns the followings I want to know what is happening to my StorEDGE A1000? Can someone help me? It is a critical device. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nickychung
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Sense Key: Media Error

Hi all, We have below WARNING in /var/adm/messages file from our Solaris server. WARNING: /sbus@1f,0/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0 (sd0): Error for Command: write(10) Error Level: Fatal Requested Block: 16745265 Error Block: 16745269 Vendor: SEAGATE Serial Number:... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerboy
8 Replies

4. Solaris

SAN DISKS - Number of slices ?

Good morning to one and all :-) Thank god its Friday, as its bee na rubbish week for me ! So, a quick question. Disks ! Ive got a few local disks, and a few SAN disks used on my solaris server. Whats confusing me, and Im not sure if there's an issue at the SAN end, or my end, regarding the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

5. Solaris

What is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors?

what is the difference between softerrors,harderrors,transport errors? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tv.praveenkumar
3 Replies

6. Solaris

iostat -En errors

I all, I would like to know what are the causes of : -soft error -harderror -transport error and how to avoid and repare them. I got the iostat out put below: atng-mm01% iostat -En | grep -i hard c0t0d0 Soft Errors: 1 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 c0t0d1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zaza
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Identify SAN disks

Hello everybody, I'm using the binary inqraid (Linux RHEL) in order to retrieve information about SAN disks. The questions are: Given an LDEV, how do I know if the SAN disk related to this LDEV is being used by the OS? I mean, how can I demonstrate to "Storage department" that all disks of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Identify SAN disks not in use

Hello, How can I identify SAN disks not in use by the OS? Thank you. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: asanchez
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

transport errors in iostat

Hi Unix experts, I have a question regarding a disk failure seen in "iostat -Enm" output: # iostat -Enm c1t0d0 Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 7 Transport Errors: 9 Vendor: FUJITSU Product: MAU3073NCSUN72G Revision: 0802 Serial No: 0514F005M0 Size: 73.40GB <73400057856 bytes> Media... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dyavuzy1
5 Replies
tran_bus_reset(9e)						Driver Entry Points						tran_bus_reset(9e)

NAME
tran_bus_reset - reset a SCSI bus SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/scsi/scsi.h> int prefix tran_bus_reset(dev_info_t *hba_dip, int level); INTERFACE LEVEL
Solaris DDI PARAMETERS
hba_dip The dev_info_t pointer associated with the SCSI HBA. level The level of reset required. DESCRIPTION
The tran_bus_reset() vector in the scsi_hba_tran(9S) structure should be initialized during the HBA driver's attach(9E). It is an HBA entry point to be called when a user initiates a bus reset through device control interfaces. tran_bus_reset() must reset the SCSI bus without resetting targets. level will be one of the following: RESET_BUS Reset the SCSI bus only, not the targets. Implementation is hardware specific. If it is not possible to reset the SCSI bus without changing the state and operating mode of the tar- gets, the HBA driver should not initialize this vector or return failure. RETURN VALUES
tran_bus_reset() should return: 1 on success. 0 on failure. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for a description of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Stability Level |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), tran_quiesce(9E), scsi_hba_tran(9S) SunOS 5.10 17 Mar 1999 tran_bus_reset(9e)