Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications vnc viewer presents black screen along with GNOME settings daemon errors. Post 302833197 by Miguel E. Perez on Tuesday 16th of July 2013 12:29:08 PM
Old 07-16-2013
vnc viewer presents black screen along with GNOME settings daemon errors.

Hello folks,

I'm remotely connecting through VNC to two machines, each running Red Hat 5.9, from mine which is running Windows 7. Both connections were working well before. However, now one of the machines only gives me a black screen, with a pop up that says:

"There was an error starting GNOME Settings Daemon. Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly. The last error message was: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken."

I've searched all over the net for a solution to no avail. One thing I tried was deleting the following files in hopes of resetting my gnome environment but this did not help either.

Files: /tmp/orbit-<user>, .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome, .gnome2 and .metacity.

I have attached the two vncviewer log files, one from the connection that still works well and the other from the one that gives me the above errors, named bad and good respectively.

I'm new to the forum so I apologize if this is not the most adequate forum section for my problem or if I omitted any relevant files or debug information. I would greatly appreciate any help you can send my way.

Miguel.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

maximized vnc viewer

I would like the vnc viewer to be maxized when it is launched. How to implement this. Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
0 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

2 questions about VNC viewer

I am using VNC Viewer 4.0 in my windows enviornment. The questions are: 1. how do you switch the applications in VNC enviornment? ALT-tab doesn't work since it just switchs among VNC viewer itself and other windows applications. 2. how to copy/paste the texts from VNC enviornemnt to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

3. Linux

Copy Paste in VNC Viewer

hi, I am running a VNCserver on my Fedora VMWare virtual machine. I make a VNCViewer connection to that from my Windows XP box. Can I have copy, paste functionality from Fedora to Windows (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshgupta
2 Replies

4. Solaris

VNC viewer problem

hi all i cant connect to vnc viewer ... when i try it showing follwing error message write/select : connection aborted (10053) Do you wish to attempt to reconnect to 1##.2##.###.1# # help me any one solved before this problem (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolboys
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome

Hi I'm looking for scripts to backup & restore Gnome Desktop and all settings in Gnome. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
0 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Blank Screen after logoff server via vnc Viewer.

Hello All, I have installed VNC Server on Ubuntu system to access this system from windows machine i'm using VNC Viewer. When i logged off the server from windows machine through VNC Viewer its showing blank screen only... Kindly help. Regards, Purushottam Aher (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: purushottamaher
0 Replies
gnome-settings-daemon(1)					   User Commands					  gnome-settings-daemon(1)

NAME
gnome-settings-daemon - manages the user settings for the GNOME desktop SYNOPSIS
gnome-settings-daemon DESCRIPTION
This daemon, which is started by gnome-session, manages some of the user settings for the desktop, such as the font, keyboard and mouse be- haviour; sound preferences; the background management if nautilus is not running; custom keybindings handling; and so on. OPTIONS
None. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of gnome-settings-daemon: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully >0 Application exited with failure FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnome-settings-Themcommand-line executable for the application. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-desktop-prefs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
Latest version of the GNOME Desktop User Guide for your platform. NOTES
Written by Erwann Chenede, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003. SunOS 5.10 2 Oct 2003 gnome-settings-daemon(1)