Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX System V Mount Floppy Drive Post 302832385 by edfair on Sunday 14th of July 2013 07:48:56 PM
Old 07-14-2013
Is there a boot record /usr/adm/messages? In some this is a cumlative history of devices found during boot and you could do a tail of the file to see if it is recognizing the floppy during boot. Or maybe a tail -50 to see all of the last boot. Use more to see the entire file.

On some, if the floppy was disabled during OS load it might require a md floppy to create the /dev/fd0 and link it into the kernel.

Also the possibility that the drive is empty or the diskette is not a unix filesystem. You are trying to mount a file system and if it is not the right kind it will give you the error.

You may have fdformat available to see if it tries to format a blank diskette.

Last edited by edfair; 07-14-2013 at 08:57 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to mount a hotswap scsi drive on a solaris 2.6 netra box using the mount command?

Hi... question is this: How do I mount an LVD hotswap scsi drive in bay #2 on a netra using the mount command? volmgt doesn't seem to mount it and/or I don't know how to view the drives data if it's formatted which it may not be. This drive is not new out of the box so I'm not sure. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: soulshaker
4 Replies

2. BSD

Floppy drive problem.

My FreeBSD install at ad0s1, and Windows 2000 at ad2s1. Everytime I start my FreeBSD, it shows me this message: fdc0: cmd 3 failed at out byte 1 of 3 pmtimer 0 on isa0 fdc0: cannot reserve I/O port range (6 ports) My Floppy drive info: 0x03F2 - 0x03F3 0x03F4 - 0x03F5 0x03F7 - 0x03F7... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: _cs
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

mount a floppy in UNIX BSDi 3

Anybody know how to mount a floppy in BSDi3 UNIX? Have tried all the standard commands with no luck. This includes: mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy mount /mnt/floppy (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jpalmer320
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a network computer/drive in unix?

:D hey all, how do you scan/mount a network drive or computer/directory? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Floppy will not mount on SUSE

I have installed SUSE 10 on a laptop that has a swappable CDROM/Floppy drive. When I was installing the OS my CDROM was connected. Later I tried to swap it with the Floppy and mount it but no success. Here is what I get: dell:/dev # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt /dev/fd0: Invalid argument ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reedcat
0 Replies

6. AIX

mount floppy, to be sure

Hi there, I never touch a AIX because i'm used to work on FreeBSD. I'll have to copy some file from a floppy to an AIX. Just to be sure is the mount command the same ? I mean a simple mount /dev/fd0 /floppy should work ? Thanks :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Yogz
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mount a windows drive on unix

Hi, I would like to be able to mount windows xp to a unix system, so that I can pull data from windows machine for backup and store it on the unix server. Does anyone know how I can go about mounting the windows drive in unix. Thanks, Eric (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ejbrever
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 floppy drive problem

I have inserted a diskette but I don't see the files nor the floppy drive. These are the commands I ran. #volcheck -v #rmformat With rmformat, only the CD-ROM is listed. I don't see any floppy drive. How can I get my floppy drive to work?? I know it is connected b/c when I boot in XP, I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kungpow
0 Replies

9. SCO

mounting USB floppy drive /Flash drive in OSR 6.0

Can anybody help me out to mount USB flash /floppy drive in sco openserver 6.0 . (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshdrajan
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Mount a Unix share drive on Windows

We are trying to mount a Unix share drive on a Windows 2003 server to avoid transfering files accross the network using sftp. I can see shared drives on the Solaris server using the "share" command. How can I mount the drives on my Windows server so that I can read them directly. Do I need... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbdenham
2 Replies
BOOTCD(1)							   bootcd utils 							 BOOTCD(1)

NAME
bootcdflopcp - copy changes made after booting from bootcd to floppy SYNOPSIS
bootcdflopcp [-v] [-d <device>] DESCRIPTION
bootcdflopcp will copy changes made in ram to the floppy disk. bootcdflopcp will be available as soon as your system is running from cd. The floppy has to have a filesystem already. (See mke2fs or mformat). If you have to boot from floppy, because your cd-drive or bios does not support to boot from cd a msdos filesystem is used to run syslinux. When bootcdflopcp is called it searches for differences between RAM and CD. For each different file, it checks if it is listed in the files ignore, remove or change on floppy. If it is listed in change it will be saved to change.tgz on floppy. If it is listed in remove the file will be removed from ram next boot time. If it is listed in ignore it will be ignored. If it is not listed at all you will be interactively asked what to do. OPTIONS
-v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -d <device> Use another device instead of "/dev/fd0" to save changes. FILES
FLOPPY:/remove If a file is listed here the file will be deleted from ram next boot time. FLOPPY:/change If a file is listed here bootcdflopcp will save it in change.tgz. FLOPPY:/ignore If a file is listed here bootcdflopcp will ignore changes to this file. FLOPPY:/change.tgz Here all changed files are stored in gzipped tar format. SEE ALSO
bootcd(1), bootcd2disk(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). Wed Feb 23 00:00:00 EET 2000 BOOTCD(1)