Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing parameter to awk command Post 302830471 by MadeInGermany on Tuesday 9th of July 2013 01:59:07 AM
Old 07-09-2013
Parameter can be hacked into awk like this
Code:
insertlist=`awk -F"," '{if ($1 == '"$Id"') print sep $2; sep=","}' AboveFile.txt`

or passed like this
Code:
insertlist=`awk -F"," '{if ($1 == id) print sep $2; sep=","}' AboveFile.txt id="$Id"`

or
Code:
insertlist=`awk -v id="$Id" -F"," '{if ($1 == id) print sep $2; sep=","}' AboveFile.txt`

Your method is inefficient: if your file is long it is read too often.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing Parameter in SED command

Hi, I am trying to replace a URL by another URL in the SED command e.g. cat dir/filename1 | sed -e 's/"http:\/\/*dtd"/"http:\/\/abc.def.com\/xyz.dtd"/' > dir/newfile.xml But I need to pass a parameter to the SED command which should have the new url string i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsrookie
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AT command parameter passing to php file

I have a bash script which utilizes a random function and then runs a file at now plus a random time. The problem is, that the php file requires a parameter after it eg: phpfile.php?code=123245b3 When i put in the file including the full path, with the at command, it will run, but not with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thruxmore
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a parameter to AWK

Hi All, I am trying to pass a parameter to AWK on my KSH shell prompt as below. var1=2 echo $var1 awk -v var2=${var1} '{print var2}' testfile.txt I am passing the input file (testfile) to awk to get some o/p. It is having 10 records. When I run AWK, it is throwing the following errors... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Raamc
1 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Passing date parameter on Kshell command line

I need to execute a .ksh from command line. The ksh calls a control file and has 3 parameters. First parameter is a csv file, second the target table in oracle and third parameter is a date parameter. I am attempting the below from the ksh command line {code} => testfile.ksh filname.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kobe24
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing parameter in sed or awk commands to print for the specific line in a file

Hi, I am trying to print a specific line in a file through sed or awk. The line number will be passed as a parameter from the previous step. My code looks as below. TEMP3=`sed -n '$TEMP2p' $FILEPATH/Log.txt` $TEMP2, I am getting from the previous step which is a numerical value(eg:3). ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyasrin82
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error passing parameter in "sub" command in awk

I have to replace the pattern found in one file in another file with null/empty "" if found on the fields 3 or 4 ONLY File 1 ==== 10604747|Mxdef|9999|9999|9999|2012-03-04 00:00:59 10604747|Mcdef|8888|9999|8888|2012-03-04 00:00:59 . . . File 2 ==== 9999 8888 . . . Expected... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing a Unix parameter to SQLPlus login command

hi All, i m trying to pass a user choice paramter from unix to sqlplus connect command here i want the user to enter the username and password he wants to connect in sql plus through read in unix and then automatically connect to that instance. sqlplus -s $1/$2 where $ 1 and $2 will b... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing command as a function parameter

Hi All, Just trying to implement the below shell script using AIX ksh shell. myfunc { eval "$*" } CMD='ls -la /etc/hosts | awk '{print $9"|"$5}'' myfunc $CMD Keeping getting "|}: not found" errors, any pointers would greatly be appreciated. Kind Regards Ed Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eo29
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing shell script parameter value to awk command in side the script

I have a shell script (.sh) and I want to pass a parameter value to the awk command but I am getting exception, please assist. diff=$1$2.diff id=$2 new=new_$diff echo "My id is $1" echo "I want to sync for user account $id" ##awk command I am using is as below cat $diff |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sarita Behera
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop over awk or passing parameter

I wrote this script which works well when I manually input 55518622 and 1 but I need this script to be generic and loop over the following table awk '$4>(55518622-500000) && $4<(55518622+500000)' chr1_GEN2bim | awk 'BEGIN {min=1000000000; max=0;}; {\ if($4<min && $4 != "") min = $4; if($4>max... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fat
8 Replies
EXECUTE(7)                                                         SQL Commands                                                         EXECUTE(7)

NAME
EXECUTE - execute a prepared statement SYNOPSIS
EXECUTE name [ ( parameter [, ...] ) ] DESCRIPTION
EXECUTE is used to execute a previously prepared statement. Since prepared statements only exist for the duration of a session, the pre- pared statement must have been created by a PREPARE statement executed earlier in the current session. If the PREPARE statement that created the statement specified some parameters, a compatible set of parameters must be passed to the EXECUTE statement, or else an error is raised. Note that (unlike functions) prepared statements are not overloaded based on the type or number of their parameters; the name of a prepared statement must be unique within a database session. For more information on the creation and usage of prepared statements, see PREPARE [prepare(7)]. PARAMETERS
name The name of the prepared statement to execute. parameter The actual value of a parameter to the prepared statement. This must be an expression yielding a value that is compatible with the data type of this parameter, as was determined when the prepared statement was created. OUTPUTS
The command tag returned by EXECUTE is that of the prepared statement, and not EXECUTE. EXAMPLES
Examples are given in the Examples [prepare(7)] section of the PREPARE [prepare(7)] documentation. COMPATIBILITY
The SQL standard includes an EXECUTE statement, but it is only for use in embedded SQL. This version of the EXECUTE statement also uses a somewhat different syntax. SEE ALSO
DEALLOCATE [deallocate(7)], PREPARE [prepare(7)] SQL - Language Statements 2010-05-14 EXECUTE(7)