Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Replace character by blank
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Replace character by blank Post 302826481 by newbie83 on Wednesday 26th of June 2013 04:30:21 PM
Old 06-26-2013
I`m sorry for all the confusion, I should have given a more specific description of the data set.

It is a tab delimited flat file, the dots represent missing data. So there will be a tab before and after the dot. I have attached a portion of a sample input from the large file.

The numbers are supposed to stay in the same place (row and column) after the dots have been removed. The decimal numbers remain intact , 12.34 remains 12.34 but simply a . or a missing data has to be represented by a white space or anything else to keep the structure of the table intact.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check for the first character to be blank

I'm having a problem when the first line or first character of a file is blank. I need to get rid of both of them when they occur but don't want to delete the line. Does anyone have any suggestions? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthreedhr
7 Replies

2. AIX

How can i replace a character with blank space?

i want a command for my script!!! say file consists of character 123 125 127. i need a query to replace the number 2 with 0 so the output should be 103 105 107. i use unix-aix (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rollthecoin
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace two blank line with a single blank line

Hi Guys, I have a file in which each set of records are separated by two blank line. I want to replace it with a single blank line. Can you guys help me out? Regards, Magesh (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace a character with blank in a file

hi, I have a doubt in replacing characters with blank. My requirement is that, i have one file and looks like below 4:ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION '193,191' IMMEDIATE; 6:ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION '205,7274' IMMEDIATE; 5:ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION '206,34158' IMMEDIATE;... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhusha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Sed how can I replace starting from the 7th character to the 15th character.

Hi All, Was wondering how I can do the following.... I have a String as follows "ACCTRL000005022RRWDKKEEDKDD...." This string can be in a file called tail.out or in a Variable called $VAR2 Now I have another variable called $VAR1="000004785" (9 bytes long), I need the content of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohullah
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Replace certain character at specific place with related character

hello i have file with 100k records and each one has certain value that starts at 28th column and certain value that starts at 88th column e.g. 1st file <25>1234567 ..... <88> 8573785485 i have aditional file with values which are related to value that starts at 88th column of the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dell1520
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a file, replace blank line by the last line not blank above

Dear All, In a CSV file, say that a given column has been extracted. In that column, information is missing (i.e. blank lines appear). I would like to replace the blank lines by the last valid line (not blank) previously read. For example, consider the extract below: 123 234 543 111... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bagvian
7 Replies
mcxarray(1)							  USER COMMANDS 						       mcxarray(1)

NAME
      mcxarray - Transform array data to MCL matrices

SYNOPSIS
      mcxarray [options]

mcxarray	[-data	fname  (input  data  file)]  [-imx  fname  (input matrix file)] [-co num ((absolute) cutoff for output values (required))]
      [--pearson (use Pearson correlation (default))] [--spearman (use Spearman rank correlation)] [-fp <mode> (use fingerprint  measure)]  [--dot
      (use  dot product)] [--cosine (use cosine)] [-skipr <num> (skip <num> data rows)] [-skipc <num> (skip <num> data columns)] [-o fname (output
      file fname)] [-write-tab <fname> (write row labels to file)] [-l <num> (take labels from column <num>)] [-digits <num>  (output  precision)]
      [--write-binary  (write  output  in  binary format)] [-t <int> (use <int> threads)] [-J <intJ> (a total of <intJ> jobs are used)] [-j <intj>
      (this job has index <intj>)] [-start <int> (start at column <int> inclusive)] [-end <int> (end  at  column  <int>  EXclusive)]  [--transpose
      (work  with the transposed data matrix)] [--rank-transform (rank transform the data first)] [-tf spec (transform result network)] [-table-tf
      spec (transform input table before processing)] [-n mode (normalize input)] [--zero-as-na  (treat  zeroes  as  missing  data)]  [-write-data
      <fname>  (write  data  to file)] [-write-na <fname> (write NA matrix to file)] [--job-info (print index ranges for this job)] [--help (print
      this help)] [-h (print this help)] [--version (print version information)]

DESCRIPTION
      mcxarray can either read a flat file containing array data (-data) or a matrix file satisfying the mcl input format (-imx).  In  the  former
      case it will by default work with the rows as the data vectors. In the latter case it will by default work with the columns as the data vec-
      tors (note that mcl matrices are presented as a listing of columns).  This can be changed for both using the --transpose option.

The input data may contain missing data in the form of empty columns, NA values (not available/applicable), or NaN values  (not  a  number).
      The  program keeps track of these, and when computing the correlation between two rows or columns ignores all positions where any one of the
      two has missing data.

OPTIONS
      -data fname (input data file)
	Specify the data file containing the expression values.  It should be tab-separated.

-imx fname (input matrix file)
	The expression values are read from a file in mcl matrix format.

--pearson (use Pearson correlation (default))
      --spearman (use Spearman rank correlation)
      --cosine (use cosine)
      --dot (use the dot product)
	Use one of these to specify the correlation measure. Note that the dot product is not normalised and should only be used  with	very  good
	reason.

-fp <mode> (specify fingerprint measure)
	Fingerprints  are used to define an entity in terms of it having or not having certain traits. This means that a fingerprint can be repre-
	sented by a boolean vector, and a set of fingerprints can be represented by an array of such vectors. In the presence of many  traits  and
	entities  the  dimensions of such a matrix can grow large. The sparse storage employed by MCL-edge is ideally suited to this, and mcxarray
	is ideally suited to the computation of all pairwise comparisons between such fingerprints.  Currently mcxarray  supports  five  different
	types  of  fingerprint,  described  below.   Given  two fingerprints, the number of traits unique to the first is denoted by a, the number
	unique to the second is denoted by b, and the number that they have in common is denoted by c.

hamming
	  The Hamming distance, defined as a+b.

tanimoto
	  The Tanimoto similarity measure, c/(a+b+c).

cosine
	  The cosine similarity measure, c/sqrt((a+c)*(b+c)).

meet
	  Simply the number of shared traits, identical to c.

cover
	  A normalised and non-symmetric similarity measure, representing the fraction of traits shared relative to the number of traits by a sin-
	  gle entity.  This gives the value c/(a+c) in one direction, and the value c/(b+c) in the other.

-skipr <num> (skip <num> data rows)
	Skip the first <num> data rows.

-skipc <num> (skip <num> data columns)
	Ignore the first <num> data columns.

-l <num> (take labels from column <num>)
	Specifies to construct a tab of labels from this data column.  The tab can be written to file using -write-tab fname.

-write-tab <fname> (write row labels to file)
	Write  a tab file. In the simple case where the labels are in the first data column it is sufficient to issue -skipc 1.  If more data col-
	umns need to be skipped one must explicitly specify the data column to take labels from with -l l.

-t <int> (use <int> threads)
      -J <intJ> (a total of <intJ> jobs are used)
      -j <intj> (this job has index <intj>)
	Computing all pairwise correlations is time-intensive for large input.	If you	have  multiple	CPUs  available  consider  using  as  many
	threads.  Additionally	it  is	possible  to spread the computation over multiple jobs/machines.  Conceptually, each job takes a number of
	threads from the total thread pool.  Additionally, the number of threads (as specified by -t) currently must be the same for all jobs,	as
	it  is	used  by  each job to infer its own set of tasks.  The following set of options, if given to as many commands, defines three jobs,
	each running four threads.

-t 4 -J 3 -j 0
	-t 4 -J 3 -j 1
	-t 4 -J 3 -j 2

--job-info (print index ranges for this job)
      -start <int> (start at column <int> inclusive)
      -end <int> (end at column <int> EXclusive)
	--job-info can be used to list the set of column ranges to be processed by the job as a result of the command line options -t, -J, and -j.
	If a job has failed, this option can be used to manually split those ranges into finer chunks, each to be processed as a new sub-job spec-
	ified with -start and -end.  With the latter two options, it is impossible to use parallelization of any kind (i.e. any of the -t, -J, and
	-j options).

-o fname (output file fname)
	Output file name.

-digits <num> (output precision)
	Specify the precision to use in native interchange format.

--write-binary (write output in binary format)
	Write output matrices in native binary format.

-co num ((absolute) cutoff for output values)
	Output	values of magnitude smaller than num are removed (set to zero).  Thus, negative values are removed only if their positive counter-
	part is smaller than num.

--transpose (work with the transpose)
	Work with the transpose of the input data matrix.

--rank-transform (rank transform the data first)
	The data is rank-transformed prior to the computation of pairwise measures.

-write-data <fname> (write data to file)
	This writes the data that was read in to file.	If --spearman is specified the data will be rank-transformed.

-write-na <fname> (write NA matrix to file)
	This writes all positions for which no data was found to file, in native mcl matrix format.

--zero-as-na (treat zeroes as missing data)
	This option can be useful when reading data with the -imx option, for example after it has been loaded from label input  by  mcxload.	An
	example  case  is  the processing of a large number of probe rankings, where not all rankings contain all probe names. The rankings can be
	loaded using mcxload with a tab file containing all probe names.  Probes that are present in the ranking are given a positive ordinal num-
	ber  reflecting  the ranking, and probes that are absent are implicitly given the value zero. With the present option mcxarray will handle
	the correlation computation in a reasonable way.

-n mode (normalization mode)
	If mode is set to z the data will be normalized based on z-score. No other modes are currently supported.

-tf spec (transform result network)
      -table-tf spec (transform input table before processing)
	The transformation syntax is described in mcxio(5).

--help (print help)
      -h (print help)

--version (print version information)

AUTHOR
      Stijn van Dongen.

SEE ALSO
      mcl(1), mclfaq(7), and mclfamily(7) for an overview of all the documentation and the utilities in the mcl family.

mcxarray 12-068						      8 Mar 2012							 mcxarray(1)