Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed command question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command question Post 302825977 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 25th of June 2013 02:36:15 PM
Old 06-25-2013
Hi, this section..
Code:
`awk -F, -f sed.awk sednumbers`

is unprotected by double quotes, so the shell will interpret the < and > signs as redirects from / to files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Quick Question on sed command in shell script

Hello, I have the following line in one of my shell scripts. It works fine when the search string($SERACH_STR) exists in the logfile($ALERTLOG) but if the search string does not exist this line errors out at run time. Is there a way to make this line return 0 if it is not able to find the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: luft
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Question 1. (Don't quite know how to use sed! Thanks)

Write a sed script to extract the year, rank, and stock for the most recent 10 years available in the file top10_mktval.csv, and output in the following format: ------------------------------ YEAR |RANK| STOCK ------------------------------ 2007 | 1 | Exxon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beibeiatNY
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop with sed command to replace line with sed command in it

Okay, title is kind of confusion, but basically, I have a lot of scripts on a server that I need to replace a ps command, however, the new ps command I'm trying to replace the current one with pipes to sed at one point. So now I am attempting to create another script that replaces that line. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbo0485
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on my sed command

So I have this sed command below. The content of the tmp.txt file is dv01:at01,at05,at02:at04 sed 's/\:.*\,/\,/g' tmp.txt Which produces dv01,at02:at04 and I'm trying to use sed to get me dv01,at05,at02 Stripping out the parts leading with ":". My sed is pretty basic, can... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: J-Man
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about a sed command

Hi guys, I'm currently trying to understand a piece of shell script and it has some sed commands. I've been looking through sed tutorials to figure out what it does but still no luck :confused: Can any of you guys tell me what this particular command does? sed -i '1i\.options' a/* ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chu816
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command question on Solaris

Hi, I'm trying to find the first field in a text file with the below sed command but it doesn't seem to be correct for running on Solaris.. It has no problem running on AIX. Anyone got a suggestion what the problem is? sed 's/^\(\+\) /OK/' The eventual goal is to separate the columns in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command garbled question

for j in $(cat ${list_B}) do to_replace_2=$(grep $j ${useralias}_2) sed "s/^${j}/${to_replace_2}/p" ${entries} > ${entries}_2 mv ${entries}_2 ${entries} done Hi, I've the above sed command running in a script. Its basically looping through a file and replacing its beginning of line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

after sed command file shows '????' question marks

Hi All, I am trying to replace a string in a oracle LDT file file extension .ldt. I am using the following command: sed "s/Test Number Viewer/Test Number 1/g" TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt > TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt.tmp mv TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt.tmp TEST_LIEN_FORM.ldt But after the command, the file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: veena484
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed and awk giving error ./sample.sh: line 13: sed: command not found

Hi, I am running a script sample.sh in bash environment .In the script i am using sed and awk commands which when executed individually from terminal they are getting executed normally but when i give these sed and awk commands in the script it is giving the below errors :- ./sample.sh: line... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Sed command usage question

How to work x in sed command? I know x command is swaps the contents of pattern space and hold space. But i am unable to understand it's working? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vartika18
4 Replies
TRASH-EMPTY(1)						      General Commands Manual						    TRASH-EMPTY(1)

NAME
trash-empty - Empty for Command line trash utility. SYNOPSIS
trash-empty [arguments] DESCRIPTION
Remove for ever any trashed file and trashed directory. This command is a part of trash-cli package that provides a command line interface trashcan utility compliant with the FreeDesktop.org Trash Specification. It remembers the name, original path, deletion date, and permis- sions of each trashed file. ARGUMENTS
To remove all trashed files, use 'emtpy-trash'. To remove files that have been in the trash more than a given number of days, use 'trash-empty x', 'x' representing the number of days. EXAMPLES
$ date Tue Feb 19 20:26:52 CET 2008 $ trash-list 2008-02-19 20:11:34 /home/einar/today 2008-02-18 20:11:34 /home/einar/yesterday 2008-02-10 20:11:34 /home/einar/last_week $ trash-empty 7 $ trash-list 2008-02-19 20:11:34 /home/einar/today 2008-02-18 20:11:34 /home/einar/yesterday $ trash-empty 1 $ trash-list 2008-02-19 20:11:34 /home/einar/today $ trash-empty $ trash-list <none> BUGS
Report bugs to http://code.google.com/p/trash-cli/issues AUTHORS
Trash was written by Andrea Francia <andreafrancia@users.sourceforge.net> and Einar Orn Olason <eoo@hi.is>. This manual page was written by Steve Stalcup <vorian@ubuntu.com>. Changes made by Massimo Cavalleri <submax@tiscalinet.it>. SEE ALSO
trash-put(1), trash-restore(1), trash-list(1), and the FreeDesktop.org Trash Specification at http://www.ramendik.ru/docs/trashspec.html. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 2 or later. TRASH-EMPTY(1)