Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Compressed Filesystem for Linux Post 302820611 by bypper on Thursday 13th of June 2013 05:13:57 AM
Old 06-13-2013
Reference Compressed Filesystem for Linux

Hi Everybody:

I'm searching a compressed Filesystem for a external disk, what I use for a full, diary and differential Backup.

The performance is not important, I search the best option for compress data, but I want have access to structure disk, with directories and files in the Backup disk.

I'm thinking in SquashFS.
What do you recommend me?

Best Regards,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Filesystem for Linux - Solaris

Do you know how I can find detailed information on filesystems on Linux and Solaris. And I mean not only for the OS but and how it(the OS) uses the hard drives! Thank you in advance!! Solid Snake;) ;) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
3 Replies

2. Linux

Linux filesystem

Hi all, Suppose i have a disk having three partitions (hda1,hda2,hda3) ,and are mounted all under /dev/ .. My question is where the / will be existing.which file system it wil be in? I am windows user new to linux/unix.Any help in learning internals would be appreciated . Thanks ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkrishn
1 Replies

3. Tips and Tutorials

Linux Filesystem Hierarchy

Hi, Please have a look this: http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy.pdf I think this can be very useful for a beginner/intermediate level user to understand the filesystem hierarchy and as well as it can be used as a reference to various linux commands and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tayyabq8
0 Replies

4. Programming

Uncompress on linux a UDP Payload compressed on win$ using closed source library

I am trying to uncompress a UDP packets payload. The data was compressed using "Xceed Version 4.3" which is a closed source windows program. I need to uncompress the data on a linux box. The technical support people at Xceed tell me that the data was compressed using "the Deflate compression method... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sysadmin9
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux FileSystem Internal Buffer size:

I know that Univ FileSystem stores all file data in the form of first few direct nodes followed by indirect nodes. But internally some systems implement where , a single block of 4096 isnt allocated alone a single block basis on physical drive, rather a large chunk of data is allocated and no. of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: GloriousDaisy
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I check if I have raw filesystem on unix/linux

Hello again. Please can someone tell me how can i check if my filesystem is raw on unix/linux ? Is there some file to check or something like that to be sure ? also , when i do : $ ls -l /dev/rdisk i get among other things , this also(there resides are oracle related files) : ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

7. SuSE

filesystem from unix 32 to linux 64

Hi all. Im migrating from a Unix 32 bit to a linux suse 10 64 bit and would like to know whats the best way to migrate the filesystems? cpio? tar? ftp? Could I make a backup in tape in the unix 32 and restore it in the linux 64? thanx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrodrig
1 Replies

8. Linux

filesystem locking issue on linux

hi, we are getting filesystem locking issue very frequently. we are using linux rhel 5.5. our filesystem type is gfs2 where we are facing locking issue and unix admin team reboots server to over come with this issue. suddenly we used to face slowness on server and server gets hung. after that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anshu ranjan
1 Replies

9. Linux

Partition of linux filesystem wit meaning

Cud some one pls help me wit some partitions of linux filesystem wit their meaning....urgent cos is an assignment (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GODBLESSME
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there any way to find the compressed size of a file without compressing it in linux

i need to backup a directory from one partition to another and and compress that directory after backing up, so i need to predict the compressed size of the directory with out actually compressing it, to check whether the space is available in the destination partition to accommodate the zipped... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kesavan
2 Replies
BDB.DB0(5)							AFS File Reference							BDB.DB0(5)

NAME
bdb.DB0, bdb.DBSYS1 - Contain the Backup Database and associated log DESCRIPTION
The bdb.DB0 file contains the Backup Database, which records configuration information used by the AFS Backup System along with cross- indexed records of the tapes created and volumes dumped using the Backup System commands. The bdb.DBSYS1 file is a log file in which the Backup Server (buserver process) logs each database operation before performing it. When an operation is interrupted, the Backup Server replays the log to complete the operation. Both files are in binary format and reside in the /var/lib/openafs/db directory on each database server machine that runs the Backup Server. When the Backup Server starts or restarts on a given machine, it establishes a connection with its peers and verifies that its copy of the bdb.DB0 file matches the copy on the other database server machines. If not, the Backup Servers use AFS's distributed database technology, Ubik, to distribute to all of the machines the copy of the database with the highest version number. Use the commands in the backup suite to administer the Backup Database. It is advisable to create a backup copy of the bdb.DB0 file on tape on a regular basis, using the UNIX tar command or another local disk backup utility. SEE ALSO
backup(8), backup_savedb(8), buserver(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BDB.DB0(5)