Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed substitution Post 302818515 by RudiC on Friday 7th of June 2013 03:56:04 PM
Old 06-07-2013
Try
Code:
sed -i "s/^set xx .*/set xx $xx/" file

Pls note that the -i option is controversially discussed in this forum.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Substitution using sed

I know we can substitute a string using sed but how? For example: sed 's/(old variable)/(new variable)/ details.dat Am I suppose to put $old variable or whatever? Because I tried many times, it didnt work by putting $old variable. Am I suppose to enclose it with "" or ''? Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ohji
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

Hi, I have a set of files containing strings like I.TEST1_TEST2 or B.ESSA_ESSB for example. Does somebody know how to substitute these strings whith the same name and an extension "_V1" (ie. I.TEST1_TEST2_V1) using sed command or else ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jo_aze
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using SED

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as well to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi guys, Can u please help me to replace (-) with (/) in a file containing no of records using "sed " command in unix. thanks in advance. subhendu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hi I am trying to do a text insertion in a text file at a particular line number in a shell script. However its not working. sed '122i\ > for j in \`echo $MyList\` ; do perl -pi -e\'s#01\/01\/2009#01\/01\/2011#\' $j ; done' $HOME/MyScript.ksh The Actual line to be inserted at line 122... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with sed substitution

I'm a noob to unix, and I have a line of data like the following: title=Boston|tcolor=green|desc=Large city in New England|url=www.boston.com Is there a way to change a field value with sed substitution? (i.e. change tcolor=green to tcolor=blue) I figured out: sed... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: stabby
19 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution with sed

I have a file with some numbers having single quotes around them which I want to remove. i.e. '923930' -> 23930 If it can be done without using sed thats fine. I have tried with sed but can't think how to replace this pattern on only the numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Hello, I have two files. File1 is normal txt file and File2 contains list of line numbers. e.g. File2: 3 6 9 ..... I need to replace a character in File1 in lines (taken from File2). For that I am using a "for" loop: for i in $(cat File2) do sed "$i s/Y/N/" File1 done but my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed substitution

How can you use sed with a line of code that reads: 67899:Bill:Williams:Maple Dr.:45908600 Let us say we want to replace Maple Dr. with Oak St. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yonkers062986
1 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)