Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris /tmp size is less whereas size allocated to swap is more Post 302815533 by MadeInGermany on Saturday 1st of June 2013 06:13:05 AM
Old 06-01-2013
swap -l is in blocks, half kbyte.
It adds to RAM to make virtual memory, shown by swap -s
And /tmp is free virtual memory.
Your figures all make sense.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Size of swap

Hy all, i've a little problem with the size of the swap. I've an old solaris machine, with 4Go, and swap is taking 500Mo for only 1% used at any time. So : how can i change this size without problems ????? (ok it may be a stupid question, but it's a real problem when you lose about 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

increase size of /tmp

My /tmp is full, and the oracle installation is crashing. How can I increase the size of /tmp, even though I have allocated all the available disk space to other partitions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Increase size of /tmp swap File

Hi Guys I need to increase the size of my /tmp swap file. What is the easiest way to do this. Thanks Carson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmackin
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extend /tmp size?

Dear all, I wanna to extend my /tmp size. I deleted the all files of /tmp but it still shows there's no more space on it. The OS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5). # df /tmp/ -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_bold
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Increasing swap size

We increased our server's RAM 8 -> 32 GB RAM. swap memory is currently 10 GB. With which command I can increase this memory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akyuceisik
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

how to find size of memory allocated to a pointer?

Hi, Am new to HP UX , is there a way to find out the size of memory allocated to a pointer on hp ux? For example we can use the _msize() on windows to find the size of memory allocated to a pointer . #include <stdio.h> #include <malloc.h> void main() { void *buffer; ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wkdunreal
0 Replies

7. Solaris

Increase /tmp size temporarily

Hi all system Solaris 10 10/09 s10x_u8wos_08a X86 ufs file system I would like to install SunStudio. After the gui comes up it shows that i need to add swap space of at least 900m. the command swap-s shows 880m free. My question is can you temporarily increase swap by 1 or 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kc2dws
3 Replies

8. Programming

find size of heap allocated

I want to find the size of the total memory allocated on the heap for the following statement: int* a = new int;How can I use the sizeof operator for this? I used: printf("\t===> %d\n",sizeof(*a)); Is this statement correct? I have asked the question because when I checked the memory of... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
13 Replies

9. Solaris

Swap size increase

Dear All, How to increase the swap size when physicall memory reaches 60 %. OR it can be only done after the physicall memory is full. Rgds Rj (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
8 Replies

10. AIX

SWAP SIZE Recommended.

Dear All, During installation of SAP, it shows like below : Condition : Swap Size Result Code : Condition not met Severity : MEDIUM Message : For the selected services at least 74228 MB swap space are recommended. Current value: 65536 MB. (Updated 2005-06-24) I am working on AIX OS. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kak
8 Replies
mkfile(1M)																mkfile(1M)

NAME
mkfile - create a file SYNOPSIS
mkfile [-nv] size [g | k | b | m] filename... mkfile creates one or more files that are suitable for use as NFS-mounted swap areas, or as local swap areas. When a root user executes mkfile(), the sticky bit is set and the file is padded with zeros by default. When non-root users execute mkfile(), they must manually set the sticky bit using chmod(1). The default size is in bytes, but it can be flagged as gigabytes, kilobytes, blocks, or megabytes, with the g, k, b, or m suffixes, respectively. -n Create an empty filename. The size is noted, but disk blocks are not allocated until data is written to them. Files created with this option cannot be swapped over local UFS mounts. -v Verbose. Report the names and sizes of created files. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of mkfile when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ chmod(1), swap(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) 2 Feb 2001 mkfile(1M)