Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [sed] Replace one line with two lines Post 302814483 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 29th of May 2013 01:47:07 PM
Old 05-29-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallax
So if I wanted to replace the occurrences recursively, is that impossible? Was wrong in thinking find and sed could do this?
I don't understand what you're trying to do. Applying your changes to a file recursively would change the following line in a file:
Code:
#       ./x.mak

to:
Code:
#       chmod 755 x.mak
chmod 755 x.mak
chmod 755 x.mak
./x.mak

with the "..." replaced by enough copies of "chmod 755 x.mak" to fill up your file system or exceed a file size limit for the file you're modifying.

Find and sed or the shell can modify a file in an infinite number of ways; but the code you showed us doesn't actually make any changes to any file; it just displays modified versions of a potentially huge number of file without saving modifications to any of them.

Please tell us in English exactly what you're trying to do with sample input and desired output. Showing us code that isn't doing what you want to do and making us guess at what you do want to do is not likely to produce working code.

If you're trying something and it is printing an error message, SHOW US THE EXACT ERROR MESSAGE(S).

Tell us what system you're using and what shell you use. Different Linux and UNIX operating systems provide different utilities and different options for common utilities. The shell you use (if we aren't allowed to choose the shell) may greatly limit the choices we have to provide working code.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace two lines with one

I want to use sed to check if a short line is contained in the line after it, and if it is, to delete the short one. In other words, the input is... This is a This is a line ... and I want it to give me... This is a line Here's what I've tried so far: s/\(^.*\)\n\(\1.*$\)/\2/ Also,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: estebandido
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a single line/string in file with multiple lines (string) from another file??

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: Say file1.txt contains: today is monday the 22 of NOVEMBER 2010 and file2.txt contains: the 11th month of How do i replace the word NOVEMBER with (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with modified line in same file

i have few lines in a file... i am reading them in a while loop so a particular line is held is $line1.. consider a modified line is held in $line2.... i want to replace $line1 with $line2 in the same file... how to do it..? i have come up till the below code sed "s/$line1/$line2/g" tmpfile.sql... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with 2 or more different lines in same file

i have something like this... cat filename.txt <complexType name="abc"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > <complexType name="def"> bklah vlah blah blha blha blah blha </complexType > . . .and so on.. its a very large file (11 Replies)
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to replace a line with multi lines from a var

I am trying to find a line in a file ("Replace_Flag") and replace it with a variable which hold a multi lined file. myVar=`cat myfile` sed -e 's/Replace_Flag/'$myVar'/' /pathto/test.file myfile: cat dog boy girl mouse house test.file: football hockey Replace_Flag baseball ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bblondin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to know how to replace a line after a pattern match with an empty line using SED

Hi How Are you? I am doing fine! I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Basically I need to replace the entire line containing "doing" with a blank line: I need to the following output: Hi How Are you? I need to go now? I will see you tomorrow! Thanks in advance.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sags007_99
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple line search, replace second line, using awk or sed

All, I appreciate any help you can offer here as this is well beyond my grasp of awk/sed... I have an input file similar to: &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021855/--F" &LOG &LOG &LOG Part: "@DB/TC10000021852/--F" &LOG Cloning_Action: RETAIN &LOG Part: "@DB/TCCP000010713/--A" &LOG &LOG... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarmaPoliceT2
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace values in script reading line by line using sed

Hi all, Let's say I have a script calling for the two variables PA_VALUE and PB_VALUE. for pa in PA_VALUE blah blah do for pb in PB_VALUE blah blah do I have a text file with two columns of values for PA and PB. 14.5 16.7 7.8 9.5 5.6 3.6 etc etc I would like to read this... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimsonengineer
7 Replies
COL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    COL(1)

NAME
col -- filter reverse line feeds from input SYNOPSIS
col [-bfhpx] [-l num] DESCRIPTION
The col utility filters out reverse (and half reverse) line feeds so that the output is in the correct order with only forward and half for- ward line feeds, and replaces white-space characters with tabs where possible. This can be useful in processing the output of nroff(1) and tbl(1). The col utility reads from the standard input and writes to the standard output. The options are as follows: -b Do not output any backspaces, printing only the last character written to each column position. -f Forward half line feeds are permitted (``fine'' mode). Normally characters printed on a half line boundary are printed on the fol- lowing line. -h Do not output multiple spaces instead of tabs (default). -l num Buffer at least num lines in memory. By default, 128 lines are buffered. -p Force unknown control sequences to be passed through unchanged. Normally, col will filter out any control sequences from the input other than those recognized and interpreted by itself, which are listed below. -x Output multiple spaces instead of tabs. In the input stream, col understands both the escape sequences of the form escape-digit mandated by Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2'') and the traditional BSD format escape-control-character. The control sequences for carriage motion and their ASCII values are as follows: ESC-BELL reverse line feed (escape then bell). ESC-7 reverse line feed (escape then 7). ESC-BACKSPACE half reverse line feed (escape then backspace). ESC-8 half reverse line feed (escape then 8). ESC-TAB half forward line feed (escape than tab). ESC-9 half forward line feed (escape then 9). In -f mode, this sequence may also occur in the output stream. backspace moves back one column (8); ignored in the first column carriage return (13) newline forward line feed (10); also does carriage return shift in shift to normal character set (15) shift out shift to alternate character set (14) space moves forward one column (32) tab moves forward to next tab stop (9) vertical tab reverse line feed (11) All unrecognized control characters and escape sequences are discarded. The col utility keeps track of the character set as characters are read and makes sure the character set is correct when they are output. If the input attempts to back up to the last flushed line, col will display a warning message. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of col as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The col utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
colcrt(1), expand(1), nroff(1), tbl(1) STANDARDS
The col utility conforms to Version 2 of the Single UNIX Specification (``SUSv2''). HISTORY
A col command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. BSD
May 10, 2015 BSD