Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Script to rename file that was generated today and which starts with date Post 302814339 by bobby320 on Wednesday 29th of May 2013 10:06:45 AM
Old 05-29-2013
Script to rename file that was generated today and which starts with date

hello,

can someone please suggest a script to rename a file that was generated today and filename that being generated daily starts with date, its a xml file.

here is example.
Code:
[root@hostname sftpdata]# find . -type f -mtime -1
./20130529_4995733057260357019.xml
[root@hostname sftpdata]#

this finename should be renamed to this format.
renamedfeed_20130529.xml

Thanks,

Last edited by radoulov; 06-03-2013 at 10:24 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatically Rename Last Generated File

I'm trying to rename the last generated file in a given directory using a makefile. If I type 'make build' the 'build' target produces a file (ie: text_001.txt). It automatically generates them sequentially, so I don't have control over the name. I can't say that it will always be text_001.txt.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pieter023
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to Append date to generated .txt file

Hi, Can anyone plz share their experience with - Building shell script to append the file with date in following format- Filename_MMDDYYYY.txt Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prince_of_focus
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compare today's date with date in a file

Hi I am very new to scripting, Can someone show me how to (in unix shell script) compare the system's date with a date in a file. The requirement is to somehow open this file (which will only have a date in it) and compare it with today's date. If they are equal execute a procedure below but if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: siog
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to list all the files which are not generated today

How to list all the files which are not generated today, and move all the above files to backup dir. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to copy log files with today's date

I am a newbie to scripting. I need a korn shell script to copy log files of current day to archive folder and rename with current days date stamp. I would really appreciate your help. File structure is as follows. Everyday files get overwritten, so I need copy to a archive directory and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdncan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate 30/31 days from today date script

Hi Guys, I was working some time ago n was in need to calculate date 30/31 days from today including Feb (Leap yr stuff). Today date is variable depending on day of execution of script. I tried searching but was not able to get exactly what I needed....So at that I time I implemented by my own... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolgoose85
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files generated today

I would like to find the Files which are generated today in the current directory: I use the commad ls -lrt * | egrep " `date "+%b"` * `date "+%d"` to acheive this. Is there any better way to acquire the same. Multiple answers will be great. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kusathy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to add a date column (today's date) in file

Hi I have file with number status and date1 and date1 field, want add a column today between column date1 and date2. file1.txt number status date1 date2 ===== ==== === ===== 34567 open 27/06/13 28/06/13 45678 open 27/06/13 28/06/13 43567 open 27/06/13 28/06/13 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay_rajni
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to write a shell script that starts one, then kills it, then starts another?

This is on a CentOS box, I have two scripts that need to run in order. I want to write a shell script that calls the first script, lets it run and then terminates it after a certain number of hours (that I specify of course), and then calls the second script (they can't run simultaneously) which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: btramer
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Compare Date to today's date in shell script

Hi Community! Following on from this code in another thread: #!/bin/bash file_string=`/bin/cat date.txt | /usr/bin/awk '{print $5,$4,$7,$6,$8}'` file_date=`/bin/date -d "$file_string"` file_epoch=`/bin/date -d "$file_string" +%s` now_epoch=`/bin/date +%s` if then #let... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Greenage
2 Replies
rename(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							rename(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
rename - Rename or delete a command SYNOPSIS
rename oldName newName _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Rename the command that used to be called oldName so that it is now called newName. If newName is an empty string then oldName is deleted. oldName and newName may include namespace qualifiers (names of containing namespaces). If a command is renamed into a different namespace, future invocations of it will execute in the new namespace. The rename command returns an empty string as result. EXAMPLE
The rename command can be used to wrap the standard Tcl commands with your own monitoring machinery. For example, you might wish to count how often the source command is called: rename ::source ::theRealSource set sourceCount 0 proc ::source args { global sourceCount puts "called source for the [incr sourceCount]'th time" uplevel 1 ::theRealSource $args } SEE ALSO
namespace(1T), proc(1T) KEYWORDS
command, delete, namespace, rename ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl rename(1T)