Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Suse Linux enterprise 10 - booting problem Post 302810999 by Prabhu V on Thursday 23rd of May 2013 12:36:17 AM
Old 05-23-2013
Cjcox,

Thank for the reply.

However i have not suceeded in that attempt.

Please find the below information (taken from screenshot) and kindly reply back if you can able to assist on it.

The Problem has occured looks like a hardward problem. If you have bad blocks, we advice you to get a new hard drive, because once you get one bad block that the disk drive internals can't hide from your sight, the chances of getting more are generally said to become much higher (precise statistics are unknown to us, and this disk drive is probably not expensive enough for you to you to risk your time and data on it. if you don't want to follow that advice then if you have just a few bad blocks, try writing to the bad blocks and see if the drive remaps the bad blocks (that means it takes a block it has in reserve and allocates it for use for of that block number. If it cannot remap the block, use badblock option (-B) with reiserfs utils to handle this block correctly.

bread: cannot read the block 4738385: (Input/Output) error.

Last edited by Prabhu V; 05-24-2013 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: correction

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SuSE

How to configure Suse Enterprise Linux 9.0 for sending mails to smtp server...???

Hi All, I have a system running with Suse Enterprise Linux 9.0. xyz# uname -a Linux xyz 2.4.21-291-smp #1 SMP Tue May 24 14:07:45 UTC 2005 i686 unknown I would like to configure postfix on this system for sending mails as a root user using "mail" command to smtp server (Windows System)... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jumadhiya
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Problem booting Sun ultra enterprise 450 server

Hi, I have a sun ultra enterprise 450 server. This server powers on and a white screen appears with the system and network information. But it doesnot boot up completely. Booting operation wil be halted by a warning: \usr\sbin\fsck not found. Most likely the mount of \usr failed or the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tgashwini
5 Replies

3. SuSE

LKCD for suse linux enterprise server 8

Hi, I have installed LKCD using lkcdutils pakage through Yast install and remove applications. I have used enterprise server cd for installation. But I did not found any service of lkcd like /etc/init.d/boo.lkcd there. if we dont have this servers lkcd dump can not be saved at dump... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bryanabhay
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SunOS5.10 and SuSe Linux Enterprise

OK, I've been thrown into an issue at my company where the security folks want password aging turned on for their limited NIS environment. The config is a SunOS5.10 (Solaris 10) Master with several slaves and several SuSe Enterprise Server 11 Clients. What I'm looking to understand is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rzrv15
0 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

SUSE Linux Enterprise 12

Is there any SUSE enterprise 12 x86_32 version available? I have SUSE enterprise 12 x86_64 and I am unable to compile 32 programs in that. It looks to be that gcc compiler (32 bit) does not come with SUSE 12. How can I get that? Regards, George (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: George47
6 Replies
addbadsec(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     addbadsec(1M)

NAME
addbadsec - map out defective disk blocks SYNOPSIS
addbadsec [-p] [-a blkno [blkno]...] [-f filename] raw_device DESCRIPTION
addbadsec is used by the system administrator to map out bad disk blocks. Normally, these blocks are identified during surface analysis, but occasionally the disk subsystem reports unrecoverable data errors indicating a bad block. A block number reported in this way can be fed directly into addbadsec, and the block will be remapped. addbadsec will first attempt hardware remapping. This is supported on SCSI drives and takes place at the disk hardware level. If the target is an IDE drive, then software remapping is used. In order for software remapping to succeed, the partition must contain an alternate slice and there must be room in this slice to perform the mapping. It should be understood that bad blocks lead to data loss. Remapping a defective block does not repair a damaged file. If a bad block occurs to a disk-resident file system structure such as a superblock, the entire slice might have to be recovered from a backup. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. If more than one block number is specified, the entire list should be quoted and block numbers should be separated by white space. -f Adds the specified blocks to the hardware or software map. The bad blocks are listed, one per line, in the specified file. -p Causes addbadsec to print the current software map. The output shows the defective block and the assigned alternate. This option can- not be used to print the hardware map. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: raw_device The address of the disk drive (see FILES). FILES
The raw device should be /dev/rdsk/c?[t?]d?p0. See disks(1M) for an explanation of SCSI and IDE device naming conventions. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Architecture |x86 | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
disks(1M), diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), fmthard(1M), format(1M), attributes(5) NOTES
The format(1M) utility is available to format, label, analyze, and repair SCSI disks. This utility is included with the addbadsec, diskscan(1M), fdisk(1M), and fmthard(1M) commands available for x86. To format an IDE disk, use the DOS "format" utility; however, to label, analyze, or repair IDE disks on x86 systems, use the Solaris format(1M) utility. SunOS 5.11 24 Feb 1998 addbadsec(1M)