Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS? Post 302808137 by ravisingh on Thursday 16th of May 2013 02:33:57 AM
Old 05-16-2013
Can I format a partition in Linux with FAT32 or NTFS?

I tried in fedora 9 to format a partition with FAT32 or NTFS but failed
Code:
mkfs -t NTFS /dev/sdb3
mkfs -t FAT32 /dev/sdb3

In both the output says the the device isn't present.
the output is something like this:
mkfs.FAT32: no device present
mkfs.NTFS: no device present

I am able to format in Linux with ext3/4 and so I expected the format type to be visible in the below command output but isn't present in the output
Code:
fdisk /dev/sdb
command (m for help): l

I pressed l so as to list the diff. format types
I don't find ext3 or ext4 present. There is a type named 'Extended' but when I run the mkfs command with this type the same error I get. Why so?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux/Windows Fat32 Swap partition.

I run a dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 8 system on my laptop. Since my hard drive is inherently small(laptop) I am trying to creat a swap partition for keeping mutually used files such as music/video etc... I have created a 2.5GB Fat32 partition with Partition Magic Pro and have windows recognizing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: djtrippin
2 Replies

2. Linux

File Sharing among NTFS Partition & RH Linux 9 Partitions

Well Guys, will anybody solve my problem? I have installed Win XP and RH Linux 9 (Dual Boot) on an Intel x86 Machine. Everything is going fine except that I cannot share files among the two operating systems. For example, if I download a PDF file from internet and save it in my Win XP partition... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jawwad
1 Replies

3. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

converting file systems (FAT32 to NTFS)

People who still have FAT32, usaly have 2 or more operating systems running on their computer. An example of that is like runnging OS x over Windows 95 or XP. Stuff like that. On one of my lap tops, I have Linux, Unix, and OS x running on one HD. The OS x runs really really slow thought...I hardly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hdk_mkr
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Find a Fat32 partition under solaris 10 x86

Hello, I use Sun Solaris 10 under a x86 computer, and I want to mount a Fat32 partition who are stored in the same disk with the UFS filesystem. But, before mount this partition, I need to know is location in /dev/dsk Because there are a lot of file "c0t0d0" etc..., and I didn't find my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: willits
4 Replies

5. SuSE

writing on win ntfs partition from linux

Is it possible to save a file from linux environment to a windows ntfs partition? I use SUSE 8.3 and I can access win ntfs files only as read only. I want to know whether writing is possible on win ntfs partition. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suyashkunte
2 Replies

6. Linux

problem to format linux partition

hi friends one week ago, i have installed fedoa 9 on my home pc. i already have windows xp on that machine. unfortunately my windows xp has corrupted. again i want to install windows xp but it is not installing. will i format my linux partition or some other option is there. please help me... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: praneshmishra08
0 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

fat32 vs ntfs

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Interoperability Is this no longer accurate about fat32? I just used a 4 gb flash drive to share several video files between Windows XP and Linux Mint. I also plan on sharing several files in the future with that 4 gb flash drive between XP and Mint so I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
4 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

No option to create partition using FAT32

Hi, i have a new laptop without any OS. I'm about to install win 7. i have a FreeDos CD and I'm currently trying to install it. My hard drive has about 610 000 GB space. I'm unable to create a partition bigger than ~2 GB. I know that normally when you start FDISK, you're asked if you want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harriii
1 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

How to access a NTFS partition on hard drive through Terminal in OSX ?

Hi , I have a Mac OS X Lion mac book pro. I have a hard drive which I have partitioned in two (a) OSX Partition - Mac OS Extended Journaled format. Mount point: / (b) Data Partition - Windows NT Filesystem format. Mount point: /Volumes/Data I need to access the NTFS partition (I have a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
6 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Repair windows 8.0 ntfs partition

I have a 1TB HD, suspect it had bad sectors and blocks... it was pre-installed with windows 8.0.. I was able to boot up ubuntu and looked at the partitions and run a badblocks comand to verify secotors, after getting a serious of Input and Output errors mounting the partition and doing any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies
NTFS.UTIL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      NTFS.UTIL(8)

NAME
ntfs.util -- NTFS file system utility SYNOPSIS
ntfs.util -k device ntfs.util -m device mountpoint mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4 ntfs.util -p device mountflag1 mountflag2 ntfs.util -u device mountpoint DESCRIPTION
The ntfs.util command supports the mounting, probing, and unmounting of NTFS file systems. Options: -k Get the UUID key for the NTFS file system at device. -m Mount the NTFS file system located on device onto mountpoint with the flags mountflag1 mountflag2 mountflag3 mountflag4. -p Probe the device for an NTFS file system using the flags mountflag1 mountflag2. If the probe is successful, i.e. the device contains a valid NTFS file system, its label is printed to the standard output stream. -u Unmount the NTFS file system located at device and mounted on mountpoint. The mountflags referenced above are: o mountflag1: removable or fixed o mountflag2: readonly or writeable o mountflag3: suid or nosuid o mountflag4: dev or nodev SEE ALSO
diskarbitrationd(8) mount_ntfs(8) HISTORY
This NTFS implementation first appeared in Mac OS X 10.5. AUTHORS
This NTFS implementation was written by Anton Altaparmakov <aia21@cantab.net>. Mac OS X October 22, 2006 Mac OS X