Sponsored Content
The Lounge War Stories Prize of being an Admin - Part 2 Post 302806121 by bakunin on Sunday 12th of May 2013 02:24:09 PM
Old 05-12-2013
First observation: sh!t happens! That is a proven, reliable fact and an environment which can't cope with that is designed wrongly from the start. If you need a service to be not disrupted you shouldn't allow people to develop on it, because development will create the one or other hiccup to happen over time. Further, you need to take precautions against failure of every single part of the system if it should survive. Suppose instead of your error some hardware would have crashed, the network disrupted, whatever. This is what HA-solutions are for, for instance.

No SysAdmin in his right mind will let a manager determined to "save" on hardware off this hook: do you want to bet the projects future on me never doing an accidental typo? (As it is i have actually said exactly this in a design conference - and got my testing system.) And, by the way: when they decide about new office furniture for their offices any intention to save is usually abandoned immediately, so wtf?

Second aspect: whenever you do something it is your utmost responsibility to test what you have done. Immediately! So how can you create such a loop and not notice it? How can you implement this change even twice? This is not a question of introducing an error - that happens to all of us. It is a matter if noticing you have done something wrong and this has to do with the style of work: if i delete a file, i do an immediate "ls" to verify it (and it alone) is gone, if i do a "cd" i do a "pwd" to verify i am in the right directory, etc., etc.. This slows me down by perhaps 5%, but when i think i have something done i usually have it done - without any error. The 5% are easily recovered not having to do the error correction and/or recovery others eventually have to do.

So, i hope for your best, but you should really change your work ethics and learn from this accident. My 2 cents.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

comparing part of header with part of detailed records.

Hi there, I am lil confused with the following issue. I have a File, which has the following header: IMSHRATE_043008_101016 a sample detailed record is :9820101 A982005000CAVG030108000000000000010169000MAR 2008 9820102 MAR 2008 D030108 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmaroju
1 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

3. War Stories

Prize of being an Admin

Was wondering if anyone has come across any situation where you do your best to help users and in return you get a nice escalation from top level management! Here's my story: One fine morning, I was sitting idle, doing next to nothing, I got an alert from helpdesk people about a problem with... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
30 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Printing a part of the last line of the specific part of a file

Hi, I have 80 large files, from which I want to get a specific value to run a Bash script. Firstly, I want to get the part of a file which contains this: Name =A xxxxxx yyyyyy zzzzzz aaaaaa bbbbbb Value = 57 This is necessary because in a file there are written more lines which... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wenclu
6 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to make a loop to read the input from a file part by part?

Hi All, We've a VDI infrastructure in AWS (AWS workspaces) and we're planning to automate the process of provisioning workspaces. Instead of going to GUI console, and launching workspaces by selecting individual users is little time consuming. Thus, I want to create them in bunches from AWS CLI... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_adm
6 Replies
Module::Install::Admin(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Module::Install::Admin(3pm)

NAME
Module::Install::Admin - Author-side manager for Module::Install SYNOPSIS
In a Module::Install extension module: sub extension_method { my $self = shift; $self->admin->some_method(@args); } As an one-liner: % perl "-MModule::Install::Admin" -e'&some_method(@args);' The two snippets above are really shorthands for $some_obj->some_method(@args) where $some_obj is the singleton object of a class under the "Module::Install::Admin::*" namespace that provides the method "some_method". See "METHODS" for a list of built-in methods. DESCRIPTION
This module implements the internal mechanism for initializing, including and managing extensions, and should only be of interest to extension developers; it is never included under a distribution's inc/ directory, nor are any of the Module::Install::Admin::* extensions. For normal usage of Module::Install, please see Module::Install and "COOKBOOK / EXAMPLES" in Module::Install instead. Bootstrapping When someone runs a Makefile.PL that has "use inc::Module::Install", and there is no inc/ in the current directory, Module::Install will load this module bootstrap itself, through the steps below: o First, Module/Install.pm is POD-stripped and copied from @INC to inc/. This should only happen on the author's side, never on the end- user side. o Reload inc/Module/Install.pm if the current file is somewhere else. This ensures that the included version of inc/Module/Install.pm is always preferred over the installed version. o Look at inc/Module/Install/*.pm and load all of them. o Set up a "main::AUTOLOAD" function to delegate missing function calls to "Module::Install::Admin::load" -- again, this should only happen at the author's side. o Provide a "Module::Install::purge_self" function for removing included files under inc/. METHODS
SEE ALSO
Module::Install AUTHORS
Audrey Tang <autrijus@autrijus.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2003, 2004 by Audrey Tang <autrijus@autrijus.org>. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See <http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html> perl v5.14.2 2012-03-01 Module::Install::Admin(3pm)