Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)? Post 302804707 by fretagi on Thursday 9th of May 2013 05:06:15 AM
Old 05-09-2013
How do I count how many times a specific word appear in a file (ksh)?

Hi
Please can you help how do I count the number of specific characters or words that appear in a file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with scritp to count an specific word into a log

Hello my friends, I need to count how many words are into a log file, I'm using: cat logfile | grep 'word' | wc -l Cuz the 'word' appears once per line. But my logfile grow faster and at the end ofthe day is really big, so how i can count the 'word' only from (by example) line 4000 of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lestat_ecuador
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Looking for a single line to count how many times one character occurs in a word...

I've been looking on the internet, and haven't found anything simple enough to use in my code. All I want to do is count how many times "-" occurs in a string of characters (as a package name). It seems it should be very simple, and shouldn't require more than one line to accomplish. And this is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shingoshi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

scripting - write a script that will count the number of times a particular word

hello everyone, I'm trying to learn some scripts but i cant get my head around two of them. 1. how can i write a script that will count the number of times a particular word is used in file? 2. how can i make a script that will take me to a web page from unix? if anyone could help it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigTool4u2
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print a word specific number of times

Hi All, I wanted to know if there is a shell command to print a word n number of times The Input File is : Cat 4 Bat 3 Zall 1 Kite 2 Output File required is : Cat Cat Cat Cat Bat Bat Bat Zall Kite (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_2921
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need script to count specific word and iterate over number of files.

Hi Experts, I want to know the count of specific word in a file. I have almost 600+ files. So I want to loop thru each file and get the count of the specific word. Please help me on achieving this... Many thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: elamurugu
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to count number of times each word exist in a file

I'm trying to count the number of times each word in the file exist for example if the file has: today I have a lot to write, but I will not go for it. The main thing is that today I am looking for a way to get each word in this file with a word count after it specifying that this word has... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shnkool
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Count amount of times of appearing of character before a word?

Hello Is there a way to calculate how many times a particular symbol appeared in a string before a particular word. Desktop/Myfiles/pet/dog/puppy So, I want to count number of occurence of"/" in this directory before the word dog lets say. Cheers, Bob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FUTURE_EINSTEIN
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars

can i get a simple script for , Count same word which has come many times in single lines & pars Eg file would be == "Thanks heman thanks thanks Thanks heman thanks man" So resullt should be Thanks = 5 heman=2 man = 1 thanks in advance :) Please use code tags for code and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heman96
1 Replies
wc(1)							      General Commands Manual							     wc(1)

NAME
wc - Counts the lines, words, characters, and bytes in a file SYNOPSIS
wc [-c | -m] [-lw] [file...] The wc command counts the lines, words, and characters or bytes in a file, or in the standard input if you do not specify any files, and writes the results to standard output. It also keeps a total count for all named files. STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: wc: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Counts bytes in the input. Counts lines in the input. Counts characters in the input. Counts words in the input. OPERANDS
Specifies the pathname of the input file. If this operand is omitted, standard input is used. DESCRIPTION
A word is defined as a string of characters delimited by white space as defined in the X/Open Base Definitions for XCU4. The wc command counts lines, words, and bytes by default. Use the appropriate options to limit wc output. Specifying wc without options is the equivalent of specifying wc -lwc. If any options are specified, only the requested information is output. The order in which counts appear in the output line is lines, words, bytes. If an option is omitted, then the corresponding field in the output is omitted. If the -m option is used, then character counts replace byte counts. When you specify one or more files, wc displays the names of the files along with the counts. If standard input is used, then no file name is displayed. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. An error occurred. EXAMPLES
To display the number of lines, words, and bytes in the file text, enter: wc text This results in the following output: 27 185 722 text The numbers 27, 185, and 722 are the number of lines, words, and bytes, respectively, in the file text. To display only one or two of the three counts include the appropriate options. For example, the following command displays only line and byte counts: wc -cl text 27 722 text To count lines, words, and bytes in more than one file, use wc with more than one input file or with a file name pat- tern. For example, the following command can be issued in a directory containing the files text, text1, and text2: wc -l text* 27 text 112 text1 5 text2 144 total The numbers 27, 112, and 5 are the numbers of lines in the files text, text1, and text2, respectively, and 144 is the total number of lines in the three files. The file name is always appended to the output. To obtain a pure number for things like reporting purposes, pipe all input to the wc command using cat. For example, the following command will report the total count of characters in all files in a directory. echo There are `cat *.c | wc -c` characters in *.c files There are 1869 characters in *.c files ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of wc: Provides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization vari- ables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization variables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments and input files) and which characters are defined as white space characters. Determines the locale for the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error and informative messages written to standard output. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. SEE ALSO
Commands: cksum(1), ls(1) Standards: standards(5) wc(1)