Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Lookup field in map file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Lookup field in map file Post 302803917 by genehersh on Tuesday 7th of May 2013 04:41:14 PM
Old 05-07-2013
Lookup field in map file

Hi,

I have two questions which I would massively appreciate help with.

I am trying to insert a field into a file similar to the vlookup function in excel. In column 2 is a gene id for which i would like to insert the full name in the adjacent column. I have a map file (map.file) which has two columns - in column 1 is the gene ID and column 2 is the full gene name

Code:
inputfile.txt
Func	Gene	ExonicFunc	AAChange	Conserved	SegDup	1000g2010nov_ALL	1000g2011may_ALL	1000g2012feb_ALL
exonic	GABRD	synonymous SNV	c.C816T:p.S272S	660;Name=lod=640		0.15	0.34	0.19
exonic	PRKCZ	synonymous SNV	c.T264C:p.D88D	343;Name=lod=33		0.66	0.73	0.63
exonic	PRKCZ	synonymous SNV	c.A318G:p.P106P	389;Name=lod=51		0.21	0.36	0.24

map.file
Gene ID  Full Gene name
GABRD  Gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor subunit delta
PRKCZ    protein kinase c, zeta

desired output

Func	Gene	GeneName ExonicFunc	AAChange	Conserved	SegDup	1000g2010nov_ALL	1000g2011may_ALL	1000g2012feb_ALL
exonic	GABRD  Gamma-aminobutyric acid receptor subunit delta	synonymous SNV	c.C816T:p.S272S	660;Name=lod=640		0.15	0.34	0.19
exonic	PRKCZ protein kinase c, zeta	synonymous SNV	c.T264C:p.D88D	343;Name=lod=33		0.66	0.73	0.63
exonic	PRKCZ protein kinase c, zeta	synonymous SNV	c.A318G:p.P106P	389;Name=lod=51		0.21	0.36	0.24

The second query I have is that i want to be able to filter the file so that the output only contains those fields where for example column 7 <0.5 and column 8 <0.3 and column 9 <0.2 (sometimes there is just a blank in the field which effectively equals 0)

Is there a way to do this so that the filtering is done based on the column header rather than the column number as I have different files which have a different arrangement of columns but with the same headers.

Sorry for the complicated question.

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Clueless about how to lookup and reverse lookup IP addresses under a file!!.pls help

Write a quick shell snippet to find all of the IPV4 IP addresses in any and all of the files under /var/lib/output/*, ignoring whatever else may be in those files. Perform a reverse lookup on each, and format the output neatly, like "IP=192.168.0.1, ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: choco4202002
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to map to .csv file

Hello Guys, I want to write a script which will search for all the *.c,*.h,*.txt in the file. The result will be again search in a .csv file. If that .c file or .h or .txt is existing in the .csv,then put a * mark corresponding to the row in .csv file. ---------- Post updated at 05:19 AM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suvenduperl
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Mail issue solution query- host map: lookup (domain): deferred

Hi all I had a mail issue earlier today where I was not receiving any emails from the servers of one of our clients. The mail queue just showed this: -----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient----------- o8S7eSpp020274* 5858 Tue Sep 28 10:42... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 1st field from a file into 2nd field of another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amurib
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

cannot find map file

Hi, all: My writed network device driver works fine when the transmitted file is under several MegaBytes, but above this size, especially dozens of or hundreds of MegaBytes, the kernel panic ocurres! I check the kern.log and find this error : 522 Nov 14 19:35:32 liklstar-server kerneNov 14... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liklstar
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with AWK - Compare a field in a file to lookup file and substitute if only a match

I have the below 2 files: 1) Third field from file1.txt should be compared to the first field of lookup.txt. 2) If match found then third field, file1.txt should be substituted with the second field from lookup.txt. 3)Else just print the line from file1.txt. File1.txt:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venalla_shine
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File field to replace lookup from another file

Hi All, I don't know how to fast do this field replace that need lookup from another file to form the update result:confused: I want to do it by general shell script Can anyone help to solve it ? Thanks for your kindly reply in advance. CK (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckwong99
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Lookup field values in two fixed format file in UNIX - not working

I have 2 fixed length files input#1 & input#2. I want to match the rows based on the value in position 37-50 in both files (pos 37-50 will have same value in both files). If any matching record is found then cut the value against company code & Invoice number from input file #1 (position 99 until... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lingaraju
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print field from lookup file in output

The below awk uses $3 and $4 in search as the min and max, then takes each $2 value in lookup and compares it. If the value in lookupfalls within the range in searchthen it prints the entire line in lookup/ICODE]. What I can't seem to figure out is how to print the matching $5 from search on that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
Bio::Map::GenePosition(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			       Bio::Map::GenePosition(3pm)

NAME
Bio::Map::GenePosition - A typed position, suitable for modelling the various regions of a gene. SYNOPSIS
use Bio::Map::GenePosition; use Bio::Map::GeneMap; # say that the first transcript of a particular gene on a particular map # (species) is 1000bp long my $map = Bio::Map:GeneMap->get(-universal_name => 'BRCA2', -species => 'human'); my $gene = $map->gene; Bio::Map::GenePosition->new(-map => $map, -element => $gene, -start => 0, -length => 1000, -type => 'transcript'); # say that the coding region of the gene starts 30bp into the first # transcript Bio::Map::GenePosition->new(-map => $map, -element => $gene, -start => 30, -length => 600, -type => 'coding'); # A GenePosition isa PositionWithSequence, so can have sequence associated # with it my $exon = Bio::Map::GenePosition->new(-map => $map, -element => $gene, -start => 0, -type => 'exon', -seq => 'ATGGGGTGGG'); my $length = $exon->length; # $length is 10 DESCRIPTION
Define where various sub-regions (transcripts, exons, introns etc.) of a gene are. Do this so that you can then go onto to model other mappable elements as having positions 20bp upstream of transcript 2, or 10bp into intron 3 etc., all without having to know the absolute position of anything. See Bio::Map::GeneRelative and t/Map/Map.t for more example usage. FEEDBACK
Mailing Lists User feedback is an integral part of the evolution of this and other Bioperl modules. Send your comments and suggestions preferably to the Bioperl mailing list. Your participation is much appreciated. bioperl-l@bioperl.org - General discussion http://bioperl.org/wiki/Mailing_lists - About the mailing lists Support Please direct usage questions or support issues to the mailing list: bioperl-l@bioperl.org rather than to the module maintainer directly. Many experienced and reponsive experts will be able look at the problem and quickly address it. Please include a thorough description of the problem with code and data examples if at all possible. Reporting Bugs Report bugs to the Bioperl bug tracking system to help us keep track of the bugs and their resolution. Bug reports can be submitted via the web: https://redmine.open-bio.org/projects/bioperl/ AUTHOR - Sendu Bala Email bix@sendu.me.uk APPENDIX
The rest of the documentation details each of the object methods. Internal methods are usually preceded with a _ new Title : new Usage : my $obj = Bio::Map::GenePosition->new(); Function: Builds a new Bio::Map::GenePosition object Returns : Bio::Map::GenePosition Args : -map => Bio::Map::GeneMap object -element => Bio::Map::Gene object -relative => Bio::Map::GeneRelative object -type => 'transcript|coding|exon|intron', REQUIRED -seq => string, length of this string will set the length of this position's range * If this position has no range, or if a single value can describe the range * -value => scalar : something that describes the single point position or range of this Position, most likely an int * Or if this position has a range, at least two of * -start => int : value of the start co-ordinate -end => int : value of the end co-ordinate -length => int : length of the range map Title : map Usage : my $map = $position->map(); $position->map($map); Function: Get/set the map the position is in. Returns : L<Bio::Map::MapI> Args : none to get new L<Bio::Map::MapI> to set element Title : element Usage : my $element = $position->element(); $position->element($element); Function: Get/set the element the position is for. Returns : L<Bio::Map::MappableI> Args : none to get new L<Bio::Map::MappableI> to set type Title : type Usage : my $type = $position->type(); $position->type($type); Function: Get/set the type of this position. Returns : string Args : none to get, OR string transcript|coding|exon|intron to set relative Title : relative Usage : my $relative = $position->relative(); $position->relative($relative); Function: Get/set the thing this Position's coordinates (numerical(), start(), end()) are relative to, as described by a RelativeI object. Returns : Bio::Map::GeneRelative. The default GeneRelative returned has a meaning that depends on the type() of GenePosition this is: 'transcript' : "relative to the start of the gene on the Position's map" 'coding|exon|intron' : "relative to the start of the default transcript of the gene on the Position's map" Args : none to get, OR Bio::Map::GeneRelative to set seq Title : seq Usage : my $string = $position->seq(); Function: Get/set the sequence as a string of letters. If no sequence is manually set by you, the position's map will be asked for the sequence, and if available, that will be returned. Returns : scalar Args : Optionally on set the new value (a string). An optional second argument presets the alphabet (otherwise it will be guessed). perl v5.14.2 2012-03-02 Bio::Map::GenePosition(3pm)