Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to do ftp from UNIX to windows machine? Post 302802103 by Jotne on Friday 3rd of May 2013 01:15:17 AM
Old 05-03-2013
Here is how I use ftp to send files from unix to windows.
You can store password/username in a file, instead of having it in the script.

Code:
HOST='remote.server.com'
USER='remote'
PASSWD='rpassword'
DATE=$(/bin/date +%Y%m%d)
TIME=$(/bin/date +%H)
HOSTNAME=$(/bin/hostname)

tar zcvfP $DATE.$TIME.$HOSTNAME.tar.gz  /var/bin/*.sh /etc/munin/plugins/* > /dev/null &&
ncftpput -E -u $USER -p $PASSWD $HOST / $DATE.$TIME.$HOSTNAME.tar.gz ;:

rm $(date +%Y%m%d).$(date +%H).$HOSTNAME.tar.gz

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup unix files from a windows machine

hello guys , Is there a way to backup unix files from a windows 2003 server i have a tape drive in the unix box but just for extra security what would be the best way to backup unix files . Thanks a lot (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
7 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

ftp connect from unix to NT machine

I've read some of the threads on here about ftping. It seems most relate to ftp-ing from one unix environment to another. What I'm looking for is a way to ftp files from unix out to an windows NT machine that is connected to a network. If anyone has a simple or complex example, I would sure... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anthreedhr
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

missing Path(in UNIX) when i launch a job on to unix machine using windows SSh

hi i want run an unix application from a windows program/application.i am using SSH(command line version)to log on to a unix machine from windows. the application has to read a configuration file inorder to run. the configuration file .CFG is in bin in my home directory. but the application... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: megastar
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic FTP Script from windows to unix machine

Hi i need to FTP files from windows to unix(sun) machine using script. what are the scripts commands i need to use to transfer files Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bmkreddy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get Windows machine's IP address from Unix?

I am using windows Xp. From windows I would connect to my IBM AIX unix machine using telnet client. Is there any command available to view the IP address of Windows machine from Unix? (Note that ifconfig will give unix mahcine's IP address currently logged in.) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp from windows to unix using a perl script on unix machine

i need to ftp a file from windows to a unix machine by executing a sript(perl/shell/php) from that unix machine.i can also use HTML and javascript to build forms. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raksha.s
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX Environment on Windows Machine

Hello World,:cool: Is there a Way to create a UNIX enviornment on Windows bases Machine for enchancing my Skills regarding UNIX scripting.:confused: I know a software name VMware but i dont know how to confiure it:rolleyes:. If this is the apporitate tool for UNIX please guide me the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

learning UNIX on a Windows 2000 machine?

What is the best way to learn UNIX, shell, and Perl on a Windows 2000 machine? My place of employment uses Solaris and Perl and I would like to learn some UNIX skills on my home PC. I read about "dual boots", "Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX", and "cygwin". What other free options are... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfv
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP from Windows XP platform to HP-UNIX10.20 machine apllications

Hi Friends Pl. clarify the following. 1. By using ftp hostname we can connect each other as long as within the n/w. Provided user name and password. 2. Using mget****(required files with extension) can trasnsfer all the files(text as well as graphical formats). 3. How we can reproduce the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohamedfaizyka
2 Replies

10. IP Networking

How to transfer files from UNIX server to windows machine or vice versa using ftp or sftp commands?

hi, i want to write a shell script code which transfers files from a directory in unix server to a directory in a windows machine.. can any1 give me a sample code which uses ftp or sftp command.. thanks very much, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
3 Replies
ftp(4)								   File Formats 							    ftp(4)

NAME
ftp - FTP client configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/ftp DESCRIPTION
Use the ftp file to configure the behavior of the FTP client. Lines that begin with a hash symbol ("# ") are treated as comment lines and are ignored. Behavior Directives The ftp file supports the following behavior directives: FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST=yes | no The ls command of the ftp client sends an NLST to the FTP Server by default. Several non-Solaris clients send LIST instead. In order to make the Solaris ftp client send LIST when the ls command is issued, set FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST to no. The value of FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST is yes by default. If the user sets a value for FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST in the user's environment, this value will override any FTP_LS_SENDS_NLST directive that is specified in /etc/default/ftp. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWbipr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftp(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Oct 2002 ftp(4)