Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get size of a file using ls on all UNIX OSes Post 302801961 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 2nd of May 2013 05:58:30 PM
Old 05-02-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It must read the entire file to do so, so would be a big problem for big files...
True. Too much overhead.
But the following is smart like ls -l:
Code:
du -sk file

gives size in kbytes.
NB du -sk directory is recursive and prints the sum, du -k directory also gives the individual sizes.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Hp Unix file size problem

We have two files /var/adm/wtmp and /var/opt/OV/tmp/OpC/guiagtdf Could you please tell me if what these files are and if I can purge them as they are very big and Vi will not let me look at them, it gives me a message 'file to long'. Help any ideas Thanks :cool: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: A Roberts
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

Unix file size - HP-UX

Hi All, Currently we are using HP-UX machine.. We are facing problems with respect to file size. The file size does not seem to be exceeding 2 GB. Could you please let me know the following 1. Is there any difference between a 32 bit application and 64 bit application with respect to file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna7
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

File size limitation of unix sort command.

hi , iam trying to sort millions of records which is delimited and i cant able to use sort command more than 60 million..if i try to do so i got an message stating that "File size limit exceeded",Is there any file size limit for using sort command.. How can i solve this problem. thanks ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cskumar
7 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

unix file size becomes zero

Hi, when can a unix library file size become zero? For example.: can mistyping this command -> /usr/ucb/ps -auxww|grep -i <process name> make the "ps" library file size to become zero or its contents to get deleted? Is there any other way that an inadvertant mistake could cause the file size to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ananthmm
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file size different in unix and windows

I have a file on solaris/linux. ls -ls shows the logical size to be: 13292 However, when I transfer the file to my windows machine.. Rightclick->Properties shows the file size as: 13421 I wrote a small program on unix and windows that does a stat() on the file and reports the st_size... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_learner
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Maximum size of a file in unix

What's the maximum file size supported by unix. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagalenoj
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what's the Linux|Unix OSes works on Servers

Hi everybody , I'm new here in the forum and new Dummy in L|U systems (Hope finding welcomes...:)). I just want to ask : What is the OS's that works on servers and the OS's that work as client OS?? I just know that Solaris Work on sarvers :D.. and i'm glad to be memmber in this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: derbi
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find the file size in unix

Anybody can help HOW TO FIND THE FILE SIZE IN UNIX (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lmraochodisetti
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix file empty.. but size is greater than zero??/

Hi, I have a file by redirecting some contents in unix shell. Even when there is no content that is being redirected, the file size still shows greater than zero. but even if there is no matching pattern the file APPRES has size greater than 0bytes. awk -f AA.awk $logfile>APPRES... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: justchill
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Get the remote server file size in UNIX

Hi All, I am trying to sftp, get a file from remote server. Post this we need to check the remote server file size or checksum value of the remote server file and compare it with the file size in the current server. But I am facing issue to get the remote server file size. Could you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi_123
2 Replies
Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree(3pm)		User Contributed Perl Documentation	     Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree(3pm)

NAME
Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree - A Visitor for loading the contents of a directory into a Tree::Simple object SYNOPSIS
use Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree; # create a Tree::Simple object whose # node is path to a directory my $tree = Tree::Simple->new("./"); # create an instance of our visitor my $visitor = Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree->new(); # set the directory sorting style $visitor->setSortStyle($visitor->SORT_FILES_FIRST); # create node filter to filter # out certain files and directories $visitor->setNodeFilter(sub { my ($item) = @_; return 0 if $item =~ /CVS/; return 1; }); # pass the visitor to a Tree::Simple object $tree->accept($visitor); # the tree now mirrors the structure of the directory DESCRIPTION
This visitor can be used to load a directory tree into a Tree::Simple hierarchy. METHODS
new There are no arguments to the constructor the object will be in its default state. You can use the "setNodeFilter" and "setSortStyle" methods to customize its behavior. setNodeFilter ($filter_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $filter_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This code reference is used to filter the tree nodes as they are created. The function is given the current directory or file being added to the tree, and it is expected to return either true(1) of false(0) to determine if that directory should be traversed or file added to the tree. setSortStyle ($sort_function) This method accepts a CODE reference as its $sort_function argument and throws an exception if it is not a code reference. This function is used to sort the individual levels of the directory tree right before it is added to the tree being built. The function is passed the the current path, followed by the two items being sorted. The reason for passing the path in is so that sorting operations can be performed on the entire path if desired. Two pre-built functions are supplied and described below. SORT_FILES_FIRST This sorting function will sort files before directories, so that files are sorted alphabetically first in the list followed by directories sorted alphabetically. Here is example of how that would look: Tree/ Simple.pm Simple/ Visitor.pm VisitorFactory.pm Visitor/ PathToRoot.pm SORT_DIRS_FIRST This sorting function will sort directories before files, so that directories are sorted alphabetically first in the list followed by files sorted alphabetically. Here is example of how that would look: Tree/ Simple/ Visitor/ PathToRoot.pm Visitor.pm VisitorFactory.pm Simple.pm visit ($tree) This is the method that is used by Tree::Simple's "accept" method. It can also be used on its own, it requires the $tree argument to be a Tree::Simple object (or derived from a Tree::Simple object), and will throw and exception otherwise. The node value of the $tree argument (gotten by calling "getNodeValue") is considered the root directory from which we begin our traversal. We use File::Spec to keep our paths cross-platform, but it is expected that you will feed in a valid path for your OS. If the path either does not exist, or is not a directory, then an exception is thrown. The $tree argument which is passed to "visit" must be a leaf node. This is because this Visitor will create all the sub-nodes for this tree. If the tree is not a leaf, an exception is thrown. We do not require the tree to be a root though, and this Visitor will not affect any nodes above the $tree argument. BUGS
None that I am aware of. Of course, if you find a bug, let me know, and I will be sure to fix it. CODE COVERAGE
See the CODE COVERAGE section in Tree::Simple::VisitorFactory for more inforamtion. SEE ALSO
These Visitor classes are all subclasses of Tree::Simple::Visitor, which can be found in the Tree::Simple module, you should refer to that module for more information. AUTHOR
stevan little, <stevan@iinteractive.com> COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright 2004, 2005 by Infinity Interactive, Inc. <http://www.iinteractive.com> This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.10.1 2005-07-14 Tree::Simple::Visitor::LoadDirectoryTree(3pm)