Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers File Row Line Count without Header Footer Post 302801717 by gagan8877 on Thursday 2nd of May 2013 12:44:40 PM
Old 05-02-2013
File Row Line Count without Header Footer

Hi There!

I am saving the file count of all files in a directory to an output file using:

wc -l * > FileCount.txt

I get:

114 G4SXORD
3 G4SXORH
0 G4SXORP
117 total

But this count includes header and footer. I want to subtract 2 from the count and get

112 G4SXORD
1 G4SXORH
0 G4SXORP
113 total

Is there a way to do that in a one-liner? How do I subtract 2 from wc -l output before writing it to output file?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to Chop Header and Footer record from input file

Hi, I need to chope the header and footer record from an input file and make a new output file, please let me know how i can do it in unix.thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolbudy
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total of lines w/out header and footer incude for a file

I am trying to get a total number of tapes w/out headers or footers in a ERV file and append it to the file. For some reason I cannot get it to work. Any ideas? #!/bin/sh dat=`date +"%b%d_%Y"` + date +%b%d_%Y dat=Nov16_2006 tapemgr="/export/home/legato/tapemgr/rpts"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gzs553
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split large file and add header and footer to each file

I have one large file, after every 200 line i have to split the file and the add header and footer to each small file? It is possible to add different header and footer to each file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish4422
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append Spaces At end of each line Leaving Header and Footer

How to append constant No of spaces suppose 52 at end of each line in a file (xyz) excluding first and last line. Please Help me out for the same. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepam
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a report file having header and footer

I am having report file with header and footer . The details in between header and footer are separated by a pipe charater. I want to sort the file by considering multiple columns in between header and footer. pls help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add header and footer with record count in footer

This is my file(Target.txt) name|age|locaction abc|23|del xyz|24|mum jkl|25|kol The file should be like this 1|03252012 1|name|age|location 2|abc|23|del 2|xyz|24|mum 2|jkl|25|kol 2|kkk|26|hyd 3|4 Column 1 is row indicator for row 1 and 2, column indicator is 1,for data rows... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: itsranjan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing header or footer from file

Hi Every one, what is the coomand to remove header or footer from a file. Please help me by providing command/syntax to remove header/footer from unix. Thanks in advance for all your support. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is there a way to append both at header and footer of a file

currently I've a file Insert into CD_CARD_TYPE (CODE, DESCRIPTION, LAST_UPDATE_BY, LAST_UPDATE_DATE) Values ('024', '024', 2, sysdate); Insert into CD_CARD_TYPE (CODE, DESCRIPTION, LAST_UPDATE_BY, LAST_UPDATE_DATE) Values ('032', '032', 2, sysdate); ........ is it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jediwannabe
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file1 header count with file2 line count

What I'm trying to accomplish. I receive a Header and Detail file for daily processing. The detail file comes first which holds data, the header is a receipt of the detail file and has the detail files record count. Before processing the detail file I would like to put a wrapper around another... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pone2332
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Eliminate Header and footer from EBCDIC file

Is there any command to eliminate Header and footer from EBCDIC file (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhilashnair
4 Replies
TOTAL(1)						      General Commands Manual							  TOTAL(1)

NAME
total - sum up columns SYNOPSIS
total [ -m ][ -sE | -p | -u | -l ][ -i{f|d}[N] ][ -o{f|d} ][ -tC ][ -N [ -r ]] [ file .. ] DESCRIPTION
Total sums up columns of real numbers from one or more files and prints out the result on its standard output. By default, total computes the straigt sum of each input column, but multiplication can be specified instead with the -p option. Likewise, the -u option means find the upper limit (maximum), and -l means find the lower limit (minimum). Sums of powers can be computed by giving an exponent with the -s option. (Note that there is no space between the -s and the exponent.) This exponent can be any real number, positive or negative. The absolute value of the input is always taken before the power is computed in order to avoid complex results. Thus, -s1 will produce a sum of absolute values. The default power (zero) is interpreted as a straight sum without taking absolute values. The -m option can be used to compute the mean rather than the total. For sums, the arithmetic mean is computed. For products, the geomet- ric mean is computed. (A logarithmic sum of absolute values is used to avoid overflow, and zero values are silently ignored.) If the input data is binary, the -id or -if option may be given for 64-bit double or 32-bit float values, respectively. Either option may be followed immediately by an optional count, which defaults to 1, indicating the number of double or float binary values to read per record on the input file. (There can be no space between the option and this count.) Similarly, the -od and -of options specify binary double or float output, respectively. These options do not need a count, as this will be determined by the number of input channels. A count can be given as the number of lines to read before computing a result. Normally, total reads each file to its end before producing its result, but this behavior may be overridden by inserting blank lines in the input. For each blank input line, total produces a result as if the end-of-file had been reached. If two blank lines immediately follow each other, total closes the file and proceeds to the next one (after reporting the result). The -N option (where N is a decimal integer) tells total to produce a result and reset the calculation after every N input lines. In addition, the -r option can be specified to override reinitialization and thus give a running total every N lines (or every blank line). If the end of file is reached, the current total is printed and the calculation is reset before the next file (with or without the -r option). The -tC option can be used to specify the input and output tab character. The default tab character is TAB. If no files are given, the standard input is read. EXAMPLE
To compute the RMS value of colon-separated columns in a file: total -t: -m -s2 input To produce a running product of values from a file: total -p -1 -r input BUGS
If the input files have varying numbers of columns, mean values will certainly be off. Total will ignore missing column entries if the tab separator is a non-white character, but cannot tell where a missing column should have been if the tab character is white. AUTHOR
Greg Ward SEE ALSO
cnt(1), neaten(1), rcalc(1), rlam(1), tabfunc(1) RADIANCE
2/3/95 TOTAL(1)