Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Encoding of a text issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Encoding of a text issue Post 302800129 by Scrutinizer on Monday 29th of April 2013 04:50:50 AM
Old 04-29-2013
Using en_US.UTF-8on a Unix system, I get:

Code:
$ cat infile
TestTable,INSERT,žvečilnin1ईगल受害者是第,2010-02-02 10:10:10.612447,137277,ईगल受害者是第žvečilnin!@#$%^&*()_+=-{}][:;"<>?/.'|\`~@email.com,10021/1.0.0.112,واندلعت بعد ذلك انه فξέσπασ他嚼口香糖强maĉa犠牲者6号でしたŽuvalหัวใจของเขาโขลก žvečilnin ° 6 a étéSeinרייסט אַראָפּ איןईगल受害者是第,2010-02-02 10:10:10.612447

What is the output of
Code:
locale

on your Unix system?

It could be that the file is in different format when stored on your windows system, then when it is pasted into a web page.. Could you post the original Windows file?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

encoding

Hi, I'm using putty and when I try to write ü it writes | (or when I try to write é , it writes i) I tried to change settings/translation of putty but with no success I have KSH # locale LANG= LC_CTYPE="C" LC_NUMERIC="C" LC_TIME="C" LC_COLLATE="C" LC_MONETARY="C" LC_MESSAGES="C"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: palmer18
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed text replacement issue.

Hi, Im trying to find and replace text within a unix file using sed. The command that i have been using is sed '/,null,/ s//, ,/g' result.txt>result.tmp for replacing ",null," with ", ,". But this only replaces the first occurrance of ,null, in every line. I want to do it globally. It... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sohaibs
7 Replies

3. AIX

get the file encoding

Hello! The system is AIX 5.3 Give please command or script to get the file encoding (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinment
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text formating issue

Hi, I am trying to format the output of my script in a tabular format using the html code in my shell script. I am using html code for the first time in a shell script.I am trying to execute this script in Ksh but it is not getting executed. Can you please help me in figuring this out.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacsam
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Encoding Type

Hi, Where can I find the encoding type in a unix server ? Thanks in advance !!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: risshanth
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"vi" text editor character encoding?

Hi! I've got a shell account on a FreeBSD machine. It doesn't have 'vim' installed, but only the original 'vi' text editor ("Version 1.79 (10/23/96) The CSRG, University of California, Berkeley.") So, in PuTTY I've chosen "UTF-8 translation" to have my non-english characters appear correctly.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gew
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find the file encoding and updating the file encoding?

Hi, I am beginner to Unix. My requirement is to validate the encoding used in the incoming file(csv,txt).If it is encoded with UTF-8 format,then the file should remain as such otherwise i need to chnage the encoding to UTF-8. Please advice me how to proceed on this. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with selecting the text in gvim

Hi, I wanted to select the text in gvim using mouse for coping. some times it works fine and full text will be selected and copied to clipboard if it is like shown in first fig. Paste of the copied text can be done by clicking the middle mouse button. But some times the text will be selected as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twistedpair
2 Replies

9. Solaris

View file encoding then change encoding.

Hi all!! I´m using command file -i myfile.xml to validate XML file encoding, but it is just saying regular file . I´m expecting / looking an output as UTF8 or ANSI / ASCII Is there command to display the files encoding? Thank you! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrreds
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)