Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Question about UNIX file rights Post 302799865 by mike_bn on Sunday 28th of April 2013 05:18:19 AM
Old 04-28-2013
Wow, thanks for the fast reply.
Can you give one short example for the differences when running the program?
(Execpt for that Unix remembers the current directory from where the programm was called, i can't think of any differences, but as i mentioned, i am a beginner)
Thanks!
mike_bn

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Oput question in Unix?

Just curious in Unix BSD lpr customer would result in the printing of the file customers to a printer but I also came across this command pr| customer| lpr which suppose to prepare the file by formatting before printing. My question is what type of formatting is done to the file for example what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wmosley2
1 Replies

2. SuSE

UNIX - Linux NFS Rights need Help

Hello, I am running a Suse Linux server and I want to set up a NFS Server for a few Unix machines. For the root account at the unix client it works fine but it doesn't work for other users who have no root rights. I've used the no_root_squash and the rw option in the etc/export file. My folder... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ald-Edv
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix access rights

Hi, Is it true that if I am not the root I can not select access permissions to a file that I own so that my friend (who also isn't the root) can access that file? And is it true that the only way to accomplish it is to ask the root to "put" my friend into "my" group? Then I could simply set... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudo
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file access rights?

Hi, I want to execute a customised process like rating engine using a shell script from a directory other than the directory where the customizes process is placed. I have tried it in the following way...and faced a issue when shell script is available in directory /dir1/ and customized... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vkishore.btw
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

question about unix file system

Hi, The file system unix use a multilevel indexes access to disk, 12 direct blocks, 1 single indirect block, 1 double indirect block, 1 triple indirect block: Assuming a: block = 512 bytes, pointer = 4 byte, and there is a file of 200 blocks, how many disk access is needed to read the block... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blob84
1 Replies

6. Solaris

New user question regarding admin rights

I'm trying to install OpenOffice on Solaris 11 but when I click on the setup icon I get an error message telling me that I need to have admin rights. I've tried logging on as SU or ROOT but cannot. I don't see how to grant myself admin rights. How is it done ? I know there are many many... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stansaraczewski
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UNIX rights in a number in a sh script

Hello, i'm trying to write a script sh to convert the rights of a folder or file in a number. Explain: ls -l = rwxrwxrwx so i must display 777. Do you known where i can find so convert script Thanks Use code tags, thanks. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
11 Replies
RMGDIFF(1x)															       RMGDIFF(1x)

NAME
rmgdiff - use almost any graphical file difference browser to recursively view the differences between two directories. SYNOPSIS
rmgdiff [-b] [-d] [-g gui] [-n] dir1 dir2 DESCRIPTION
rmgdiff is an awk script that works in conjunction with almost any graphical file difference browser. It is known to work with mgdiff, tkdiff, and xdiff. Unless I am mistaken, most of the GUI difference viewers (except for emacs) do not have built-in support for recursing down two directo- ries, but diff does. Based on diff's output, rmgdiff decides when to invoke the graphical difference viewer. In addition, rmgdiff also collates diff's output. As soon as a new difference is encountered in a text file, rmgdiff will print to stan- dard output the name of the file that both directories have in common. It will then start the GUI and block until the user exits. As more text files with differences are found, the GUI will be started up again. In the interim, rmgdiff will keep track of differences in binary (non-text) files. It organizes the binary files as executables, shared libraries, static libraries, object files, and other. Only after all the text files have been displayed will rmgdiff report the binary differences. It also keeps track of files and directories that diff reports as being only in one directory or another. rmgdiff organizes these entries by directory. Thus, files in one directory will be reported in one block, and files that are in the other directory will be reported in a different block. In addition to printing the name of the files that are different, rmgdiff defaults to printing the relevant portion of the output from the file command. This has the unfortunate side-effect of slowing things down; however, I find this information to be invaluable. If you're just looking for a fast way to collate diff's output, try piping it into sort instead. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS
-b Sets the basic reporting mode. In basic mode, rmgdiff reports only file names. It does not report the file types involved. -c By default, files relating to CVS are ignored by rmgdiff. If you want to include CVS files, use this option. -d Sets rmgdiff to print way too much debugging information. -g gui Tells rmgdiff which gui you would like to use for viewing differences. By default, mgdiff is used. You can also set $RMGDIFF_GUI in your environment, but it can be overridden with this option. -n rmgdiff will not invoke the gui. This is useful, if you only want to view the collated output. AUTHOR
Paul Serice (paul@serice.net) RMGDIFF(1x)