Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with error "syntax error: unexpected end of file" Post 302798813 by Don Cragun on Thursday 25th of April 2013 07:03:49 AM
Old 04-25-2013
This isn't the correct forum if you need help ASAP.

Furthermore, it is obvious that you did not originally write this script. It appears that several people have made changes to the script over time and some of them didn't understand how it works. I will also assume that it was working until you recently changed a few lines causing the current syntax error. Rather than asking us to debug your entire 528 line shell script, why don't you highlight the changes you've recently made that introduced the syntax error.

I will give you some free advice and suggest that you change both of the lines:
Code:

to be:
Code:
#**

and note that some of the common reasons for this error from bash are a missing fi at the end of an if, a missing esac at the end of a case, and a missing done after a do.

But if you really want me to spend time debugging your script for you, I'm willing to negotiate a price. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"syntax error at line 21 :'done' unexpected." error message"

I am trying to run the script bellow but its given me "syntax error at line 20 :'done' unexpected." error message" can someone check to see if the script is ok? and correct me pls. Today is my first day with scripting. Gurus should pls help out #!/bin/ksh # Purpose: Check to see if file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ibroxy
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk Shell Script error : "Syntax Error : `Split' unexpected

hi there i write one awk script file in shell programing the code is related to dd/mm/yy to month, day year format but i get an error please can anybody help me out in this problem ?????? i give my code here including error awk ` # date-month -- convert mm/dd/yy to month day,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Herry
2 Replies

3. Solaris

"syntax error near unexpected token `fi' "

one of my script as follows HOME=/apps/logs mv $HOME/cron.log $HOME/cron.log.`date +%Y-%m-%d` touch $HOME/cron.log fi i am getting error as follows on the last line we are getting ... "syntax error near unexpected token `fi' " please suggest.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GIC1986
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")")

I have a very simple script that reads in the contents of a file (_open.txt) into an array "lyrics": #!/bin/sh # read in the text lyrics=( `cat _open.txt` | tr '\n' ' ') exit 0 It gives the following error message: ./lyrics.sh: 1: Syntax error: word unexpected (expecting ")") I have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash (Ubuntu server): Syntax error: "|" unexpected in While-loop

Hello forum, I hope my problem is easy to solve for someone in here! My main task is to copy a large amount of imap-accounts from one server to another. There is a tool (Perl) called imapsync which does the job exellent. Unfortunately I'm only able to run it on one account at a time. After... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: primaxx
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `"Hit <ENTER> to continue:"'

the below code will search attr string inside makefile under the modelno on given path. echo "Enter model no for searching string inside makefile" read inputs2 #find /pools/home_unix/sapte/work/models/model/$inputs2 -name "makefile" | xargs grep "attr" \; #;;I am getting below error.... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathigara
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with FTP Script which is causing "syntax error: unexpected end of file" Error

Hi All, Please hav a look at the below peice of script and let me know if there are any syntax errors. i found that the below peice of Script is causing issue. when i use SFTP its working fine, but there is a demand to use FTP only. please find below code and explain if anything is wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahi_mayu069
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected"

While i m running below code, it is giving me the error"syntax error at line 15: `end of file' unexpected". Pls let me know what is wrong here..i tried many ways, but no luck dbSID="SWQE" usrname="apps" password="Wrgthrk3" count=0 while do sqlplus $usrname/$password@$dbSID... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
5 Replies

9. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error: "Syntax error; unexpected end of file"

Hello all, I am running a script to generate a report and mail it to an email address. When I am trying to validate whether the file is a 0 kb file, I am getting the below error. Error: "Syntax error; unexpected end of file" Any suggestions please? Code: #!/bin/sh .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Pradeep_Raj
1 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)