Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permissision issue, pls. explain Post 302798419 by samnyc on Wednesday 24th of April 2013 11:40:34 AM
Old 04-24-2013
Permissision issue, pls. explain

I have a directory, user name sam 755

Code:

drwxr-xr-x    3 sam   oper     6 Apr 23 15:57 sam

I log in as root, I can't write to sam folder. if the file already there, I can change that permission but it doesn't allow me to create any files in the above folder. Why, I thought root has full access?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pls help : file stamp issue on HP UX Servers

Hi All , I have a file which gets updated by a korn job daily . The file gets the latest timestamp on everyrun. But of late i have observed that the file timestamp gets modified to a older date ( Oct 25 2006 ) at some point in time of the day. This change has nothing to do with the job which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddaonline
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix:mail sending issue..pls help me soon

Hi people Can u help me aorund on this cat $DISTRIBUTION_LIST | tail -1 | read mailtolist test -s $INOVOICES.dat if then echo " Sales Report generted" | read subject mailx -ms "${subject}." $mailtolist RET_CODE=$? if ; then echo "Messaging Failed." >> $LOG_FILE exit 1 fi else... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobprabhu
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Please explain this

if then echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>" exit fi if --------------what does this mean??? echo "Syntax: $0 <sid> <COLD/HOT> <DEST>"---pls explain this as well (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: appsdba.nitin
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - HELP pls explain this ?

echo "23.54" | awk ' function round(A) { return int( A + 0.5 ) } { printf("%d\n",round($1)); }'> > > > > > awk: syntax error near line 2 awk: bailing out near line 2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: santosh1234
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can any one explain this example

hi all i have an example i want one help me to understand cause i tried to test it but almost fail and i don't know how can i solve this problem " the main idea to read from two files and replace something from one to another " but i don't understand why it fail all time $ cat main.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxim42
4 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Could anyone help explain this?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I have a retake assignment to complete for my computer networks and OS class. This isn't really my area, had I known last year I could have swapped it for a different module I would have done so. I'm determined to get through it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Squall Moogle
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can anyone please explain this??

cur_fy=`grep "CONSOL" $GLDATA/parms/cur_fiscalyear.lis | awk '{print $2}' Here i don't understand "CONSOL" and awk'{print$2) Please help me out cur_fiscalyear.lis contents : DL 2011 MOL 2011 MV 2011 SF 2010 CONSOL 2011 MVU 2011 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diddy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

need explain

Dear unix team i'm user for a system build on unix system ,so we need to run a lot of scripts not in one sission but every script on the associated terminal , so the script name = the name of the terminal which will run this script on it . and someone create a batch that make as below : 1- but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fofatoti
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explain $# please

I'm trying to follow a script and I see it begins with this: if ; then if ; then print "blah $0 blah blah " exit fi fi What does $# mean? I found out that $1 refers to the shell environment and the last argument that was entered or passed in the previous command. I couldn't find $#... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaindotC
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

netstat -an output, pls. explain..

Hi, I have old SCO O/S. System keeps crashing. I made lot of changes to kernel but so for nothing helped. I wrote a script which takes netstat -an output every one minute. I saw some thing right before the system crashed. Not sure if this means anything.. uname -a SCO_SV djx2 3.2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies
cachefslog(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    cachefslog(1M)

NAME
cachefslog - Cache File System logging SYNOPSIS
cachefslog [-f logfile | -h] cachefs_mount_point DESCRIPTION
The cachefslog command displays where CacheFS statistics are being logged. Optionally, it sets where CacheFS statistics are being logged, or it halts logging for a cache specified by cachefs_mount_point. The cachefs_mount_point argument is a mount point of a cache file system. All file systems cached under the same cache as cachefs_mount_point will be logged. OPTIONS
The following options are supported. You must be super-user to use the -f and -h options. -f logfile Specify the log file to be used. -h Halt logging. OPERANDS
cachefs_mount_point A mount point of a cache file system. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cachefslog when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Checking the Logging of a directory. The example below checks if the directory /home/sam is being logged: example% cachefslog /home/sam not logged: /home/sam Example 2 Changing the logfile. The example below changes the logfile of /home/sam to /var/tmp/samlog: example# cachefslog -f /var/tmp/samlog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 3 Verifying the change of a logfile. The example below verifies the change of the previous example: example% cachefslog /home/sam /var/tmp/samlog: /home/sam Example 4 Halting the logging of a directory. The example below halts logging for the /home/sam directory: example# cachefslog -h /home/sam not logged: /home/sam EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 success non-zero an error has occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cachefsstat(1M), cachefswssize(1M), cfsadmin(1M), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Invalid path It is illegal to specify a path within a cache file system. SunOS 5.11 7 Feb 1997 cachefslog(1M)