Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers BASH Shell Scripting: If, Then Statement Post 302796057 by hanson44 on Thursday 18th of April 2013 09:54:30 PM
Old 04-18-2013
You are right that "if, then" is normally better. I used the case because it works well for matching a pattern, such as you are trying to match "*.c" pattern. There are other ways to do the pattern match. Here is one that seems pretty simple:
Code:
$ cat test.sh
#!/bin/bash

echo -n "Enter file name: "
read file
echo $file | grep -q "\.c$"
if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
  echo $file
else
  exit
fi

---------------------
Code:
sed '/*/,/\//d'

I'm sorry, this will not do as intended, will not just delete comments. One thing to remember is that sed d command deletes entire lines, and /A/,/B/ indicates a range of lines to delete.
Code:
$ cat test.c
int x = 5; /* comment 1 */
int y = 3; /* comment 2 */
int z = 8; /* comment 3 */

Code:
$ sed '/*/,/\//d' test.c
(no output - everything deleted)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash shell scripting

Hi, i am new to UNIX. I have couple of basic questions. 1. Is the syntax for BASH shell programming same in the LINUX and SUN SOLARIS operating systems? 2. I have to work on BASH shell programming in SUN SOLARIS operating system. I am going through the documentation from the following... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: azazalis
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help!! bash shell scripting..

Can any1 please help me... i'm really lost in using bash shell scripting... and i got to hand this up on monday... please anyone teach me how to do this assignment... Please use basic things because i just learn the program only... thanks ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Fr0z3n999
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell Scripting help

wwww wwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwww (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: keyvan
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

korn shell to bash - statement not working

Everything else seems to be working, but this isn't. Is it the "cat..." that is wrong of the condition? Thanks. cat tc_result.txt | while read LINE do if then let "files_run += 1"; echo "inside the if loop" # save current filetype case $LINE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File handling with bash shell scripting

Hi all, Can anyone guide to get tricks for file handling in bash shell? Thanks in advance. Thanks Deepak (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naw_deepak
2 Replies

6. Homework & Coursework Questions

Help with bash shell scripting

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a bash shell script that takes as an argument a name. Then your script will ask the user for two numbers.... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: boyboy1212
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash shell scripting doubt

Hello All, I am setting up a cron job, where i am calling a shell script to make few builds. I got struck at a point, need some expert inputs to proceed further. The script is categorized in 5 parts and in the last part while building software it asks for few questions like:- 1. Build mode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sahil_jammu
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Learn bash shell scripting

I do not know shell scripting. But at work place, I have got an in and out shell scripting task. I just need to understand a very big script. Is there any tool in which I can place the script and it can tell me the meaning of the whole script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lg123
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate sql statement using shell scripting

Can anyone please assist me? I have attached 2 input files and one output file. I need to generate the sql update statements using the above 2 input files. if inputfile2 has 5 rows, then we should generate 5 update statements because column1 is unique. inputfile1 and inputfile2 may contain more... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinus
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting with case statement

Foe example we have three environments int,qa and prod.Each environment has some number of servers. int=Server1,Server2,Server3 qa=Server4,Server5,Server6 prod=Server7,Server8,Server9 echo "Enter the Environment i.e int,qa,prod" read env case $env in int) ## Need command where all the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshreddy443
9 Replies
script(1)						      General Commands Manual							 script(1)

NAME
script - Makes a transcript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [file] The script command makes a transcript of everything printed on your terminal. OPTIONS
Appends the transcript to file rather than writing it to file. OPERANDS
The name of an output file that will contain the transcript of the session. If this parameter is omitted, the file typescript is written. DESCRIPTION
The transcript is written to file, or appended to file if the -a option is given. If no file name is given, the transcript is saved in the file typescript. The script ends when the forked shell exits. This program is useful when you are using a CRT and want a hard-copy record of the dialog (for example, a technical writer might create an example of a working session this way). If you specify the -a option and the file does not exist, it is created. If you do not specify the -a option and the file exists, it is replaced. RESTRICTIONS
The script command requires a streams based terminal. In single user mode, streams may not be enabled. Under these circumstances, script will exit with no action. If you are the superuser and need to run this command in single user mode, use the following special instruc- tions. Enabling Streams If it is necessary to enable a streams environment in the single user mode, enter the command /sbin/init.d/streams. This command is avail- able to the superuser only. SEE ALSO
Commands: autopush(8), cat(1), echo(1), strsetup(8), tee(1) System Administration script(1)