Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escape special character
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Escape special character Post 302795283 by Corona688 on Wednesday 17th of April 2013 01:53:55 PM
Old 04-17-2013
I don't know of a way to escape a character once it's already inside a string. That kind of expansion is supposed to happen when something is assigned, not later.

You may be able to tell the shell not to expand *'s instead. set -f should disable * expansion, set +f should turn it back on.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print $1 escape all special characters

I'm using awk '{print $1}' and it works most of the time to print the contents of a mysql query loop, but occationally I get a field with some special character in it, is there a way to tell awk to ignore all special characters between my FS? I have >186K records, so building a list of ALL special... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with sed to escape special characters

Hello Everyone, I need to read an encrypted password from the user and update that value in an xml file. I am trying to use "sed" for searching the appropriate tag and replacing this new value that get from the user. Since the encrypted password can contain special characters(like /,\,&,etc),... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: majose
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex escape special character in AWK if statement

I am having issues escaping special characters in my AWK script as follows: for id in `cat file` do grep $id in file2 | awk '\ BEGIN {var=""} \ { if ( /stringwith+'|'+'50'chars/ ) { echo "do this" } else if ( /anotherString/ ) { echo "do that" } else { ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: purebc
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape special characters in SED

Need help in escaping special characters in sed command. Here is the the string which i am trying to find a replace with From :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&MSG_ID={//MESSAGE_ID} To :- REQUEST_TYPE=PIXEL&MSG_ID= X_EDELIVERY_MESSAGE_ID & BATCH_ID= X_EDELIVERY_BATCH_ID Here is the sed command i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aakishore
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape Special Characters in Expect programming?

Hi, I have written a unix expect utility "ssh-login.exp" which connects (ssh) to remote host and execute some shell script. I am calling this "ssh-login.exp" utility from another shell script. "ssh-login.exp" takes username, password, host and shell script path to execute on remote host. All... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mahesh Desai
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Escape special character

My input is: jdbc:Oracle:thin:@(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.147.109.211)(PORT=1526))(CONNECT_DAT A=(SID= MWDBD22))) In the search pattern, ( and ) and . and @ are special RE, and need to be escaped \( and \) and \. and \@ how can i do it by script or command (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindam guha
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Auto escape script to escape special chars in script args

This is a bit off the wall, but I often need to run scripts where there are argument values that contain special characters. For example, $ ./process.exe -t M -N -o temp.mol.s -i ../molfiles/N,N\',N\'\'-trimethylbis\(hexamethylene\)triamine.mol && sfile_space_to_tab.sh temp.mol.s temp.s It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function to add escape character before specified character

Hi , I am looking for a function which will do the following. 1. I have a variable which will hold few special chracter like SPECIAL_CHARS="& ;"2. I have an escape character. ESCAPE_CHAR="\"3. Now when I passed some string in the function it will return the same string but now it will... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anupam_Halder
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape all special characters?

I have an application which I am integrating with that accepts the password via a CLI. I am running in to issues with passwords that contain special characters. I tried to escape them all, but I ran in to an issue where I cannot escape the characters ' ] My attempt is as follows: $... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AMG1978
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies
KPSEWHICH(1)						      General Commands Manual						      KPSEWHICH(1)

NAME
kpsewhich - standalone path lookup and and expansion for kpathsea SYNOPSIS
kpsewhich [options] [filenames] DESCRIPTION
This manual page is not meant to be exhaustive. The complete documentation for this version of TeX can be found in the info file or manual Kpathsea: A library for path searching. kpsewhich is used as a standalone front-end of the kpathsea library that can be used to examine variables and find files. When the -format option is not given, the search path used when looking for a file is inferred from the name given, by looking for a known extension. If no known extension is found, the search path for TeX source files is used. OPTIONS
kpsewhich accepts the following options: -debug num Set debugging flags. -D num Use a base resolution of num; the default, set by the installer, is typically 600. -dpi num As -D. -engine string Set $engine in the environment, which is used in some search paths. -expand-braces string Print variable and brace expansion of string. -expand-path string Print complete path expansion of string. -expand-var string Print variable expansion of string. -format name Use file type name. See the info manual for a list of valid names, or use the -help option to print the list. -help Print help message and exit. -interactive Ask for additional filenames to look up. -mktex fmt enable mktexfmt generation. (fmt=pk/mf/tex/tfm) -mode string Set device name for $MAKETEX_MODE to string; no default. -must-exist Search the disk as well as ls-R if necessary. -no-mktex fmt disable mktexfmt generation. (fmt=pk/mf/tex/tfm) -path string Search in the path string. -progname string Set program name to string. -show-path name Output search path for file type name. See the info manual for a list of valid names, or use the -help option to print the list. -var-value variable Print the expansion of variable. -version Print version information and exit. SEE ALSO
mktexlsr(1), mktexmf(1), mktexpk(1), mktextfm(1). Kpathsea 6.1.0 1 March 2011 KPSEWHICH(1)