Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to have my ksh script pause, until something appears in the logs.? Post 302793479 by biker on Friday 12th of April 2013 12:32:59 PM
Old 04-12-2013
one thing i did for a tool i wrote a year or two back was to use the epoch value (seconds since 1970) for date/timestamp comparisons if that's the concern

biker
LiveFire Labs: Online UNIX Training with Hands-on Internet Lab

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Pause Until Rsync Is Done Transferring

Alright, I have this script that pulls files from a few locations, process those files, creates a zip file, rsync's it and then removes everything. The problem that I'm having is that I do not know how large the rsync'ed zip file is going to be. Right now I'm using a sleep command before I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: droppedonjapan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pause a shell script

Hi, I've written a shell script to take photos with my camera. After every picture taken, the picture is transmitted to the computer via usb and then deleted on the camera. But sometimes there's an error and the picture is not deleted and so, after a certain time, the camera chip will be... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: McLennon
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause for remote computing in Telnet script

I am running a telnet script that connects to a database server and executes sql scripts. While the remote database is processing the commands within the sql scripts, my telnet script continues to send commands. Okay, that's fine. They get queued up in the remote server and executed sequentially.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oldjuke
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for reading logs of a script running on other UNIX server

Hi, I have a script, running on some outside firwall server and it's log of success or failure is maintained in a file. I want to write a script which ftp that server and reads that file and checks the logs and if failure , I will send mail notification. Please let meknow if I am not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vandana.parwani
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause shell script till folder doesn't change size anymore

Hi, I recently would like to write a shell script that 1. Runs in the background (can be done with "&", but i'd be happy for other solutions to keep programs running) 2. Does its stuff 3 THEN checks a specified folder for a size change over time (say, each 5 seconds. AND ONLY continues with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a script requiring a pause for user input

Hi I'm trying to create a basic script that pauses for user input to verify a file name before generating the output. I have numerous SSL certificate files which I am trying to determine the expiry date so what I'm trying to do is write a script so that is pauses to request the name of the .pem... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Buddyluv
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause before exit

6) printf "\n GoodBye! \n\n"; exit ;; I am trying modify the above command to pause a couple of seconds before exiting, so a message can be displayed. Thank you :). (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

If I ran perl script again,old logs should move with today date and new logs should generate.

Appreciate help for the below issue. Im using below code.....I dont want to attach the logs when I ran the perl twice...I just want to take backup with today date and generate new logs...What I need to do for the below scirpt.............. 1)if logs exist it should move the logs with extention... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sanjeev G
1 Replies
rotatelogs(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     rotatelogs(8)

NAME
rotatelogs - rotate Apache logs without having to kill the server SYNOPSIS
rotatelogs logfile rotationtime [offset] DESCRIPTION
rotatelogs is a simple program for use in conjunction with Apache's piped logfile feature, which can be used like this: CustomLog "|bin/rotatelogs /var/logs/logfile 86400" common This creates the files /var/logs/logfile.nnnn where nnnn is the system time at which the log nominally starts (this time will always be a multiple of the rotation time, so you can synchronize cron scripts with it). At the end of each rotation time (here after 24 hours) a new log is started. OPTIONS
logfile The path plus basename of the logfile. If logfile includes any Otherwise, the suffix .nnnnnnnnnn is automatically added and is the time in seconds. Both formats compute the start time from the beginning of the current period. rotationtime The rotation time in seconds. offset The number of minutes offset from UTC. If omitted, zero is assumed and UTC is used. For example, to use local time in the zone UTC -5 hours, specify a value of -300 for this argument. PORTABILITY
The following logfile format string substitutions should be supported by all strftime(3) implementations, see the strftime(3) man page for library-specific extensions. %A full weekday name (localized) %a 3-character weekday name (localized) %B full month name (localized) %b 3-character month name (localized) %c date and time (localized) %d 2-digit day of month %H 2-digit hour (24 hour clock) %I 2-digit hour (12 hour clock) %j 3-digit day of year %M 2-digit minute %m 2-digit month %p am/pm of 12 hour clock (localized) %S 2-digit second %U 2-digit week of year (Sunday first day of week) %W 2-digit week of year (Monday first day of week) %w 1-digit weekday (Sunday first day of week) %X time (localized) %x date (localized) %Y 4-digit year %y 2-digit year %Z time zone name %% literal `%' SEE ALSO
httpd(8) March 2001 rotatelogs(8)