Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function Post 302791751 by Priya Amaresh on Tuesday 9th of April 2013 05:41:00 AM
Old 04-09-2013
Returning and capturing multiple return values from a function

Hi
I am pretty confused in returning and capturing multiple values
i have defined a function which should return values "total, difference"
i have used as
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
calc()
{
total=$1+$2
echo "$total"
diff=$2-$1
echo "$diff"
}

I have invoked this function as
calc 5 8

Now i need the value of $total and $diff after the function is being invoked..
Please help..

Last edited by vbe; 04-09-2013 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

returning multiple values from a function in C

hi how can I return multiple values from a C function. I tried the following: #include <stdio.h> void foo(int id, char *first_name, char *last_name) { /* this is just an example to illustrate my problem... real code makes use of the "id" parameter. */ first_name = (char... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Andrewkl
8 Replies

2. Programming

Function Returning Value w/o return stmt

I am working on a C/Unix application from last 2 years which communicates with other systems using proprietary format of my client. We have a function written in C which returns integer, which is response from other system to the request message initiated by my system. This return value is then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpmore
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to capture oracle function returning 2 values in unix

i have an oracle function which returns two values, one is the error message if the function encounters anything and another one which returns a number i need to capture both and pass it on to unix shell script how to do it (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can $? return multiple values?

Hi, I have a script which does something like the below: execute_some_script.sh $arg1 $arg2 `exec-some-cmd` if then; do something else do something else fi However, during some cases, there is an error saying: line xxx: [: too many arguments at the line number which has... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laloo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Multiple Return Values

Hi, I need to retrun multiple values function errorFileCreation { echo "Before" return -1 "Siva"; echo "Aftyer" } echo ${?} - This can be used to getting first value. how can i get second one. Advance Thanks... Shiv (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return multiple values using for loop in perl

I am using a for loop to copy files from say DIR1 and DIR2 to DIR3.I have to check whether files are copied from DIR1 and DIR2 and print the respective message. @path=("$DIR1","$DIR2"); foreach (@path) { $rc=system("cp $_/*xml $DIR3"); if ($rc == 0) { print "Files were copied... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liyakathali
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing multiple values from user input

Hello, I need to capture multiple values from user input and do not know how to do it. I'm writing a script to delete old files, but want to give the option to keep some by asking the user. This is what my output looks like... Old files to be deleted... 1 file1 2 file2 Then this bit of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrymer
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output breaking when returning multiple values

I've been trying to write a command-line function to grab a website's MX records and their ip addresses. The code below works with domains that only have one MX record: function kmx { mx=`host -t MX $1 | awk '{ print $7 }'`; ip=`host $mx | sed '/IPv6/d;/handled/d' | awk '{ print $4 }'`; ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Returning multiple values in Shell

Hi I have a code as the following #!/usr/bin/ksh set -x row() { a=$1 b=$2 c=$(($a + $b)) d=$(($a * $b)) echo $a $b } e=`row 2 3` set $e echo "The value of c is $c" echo "The value of d is $d" My requirement is I need to pass two arguments to a function and return two values... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Priya Amaresh
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] wanted: function with a clean way for multiple return values

Hi, I have a small part of a project which is done as a bash script. bash was selected as an portability issue that works out of the box. In this script I have an exec shell-function, a wrapper around arbitrary commands. I want to have STDOUT, as an addon STDERR and the EXIT-CODE of a specified... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stomp
5 Replies
BZDIFF(1)						      General Commands Manual							 BZDIFF(1)

NAME
bzcmp, bzdiff - compare bzip2 compressed files SYNOPSIS
bzcmp [ cmp_options ] file1 [ file2 ] bzdiff [ diff_options ] file1 [ file2 ] DESCRIPTION
Bzcmp and bzdiff are used to invoke the cmp or the diff program on bzip2 compressed files. All options specified are passed directly to cmp or diff. If only 1 file is specified, then the files compared are file1 and an uncompressed file1.bz2. If two files are specified, then they are uncompressed if necessary and fed to cmp or diff. The exit status from cmp or diff is preserved. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWbzip | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Committed | +--------------------+-----------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), bzmore(1), bzless(1), bzgrep(1), bzip2(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp or diff programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. BZDIFF(1)