Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Tail command issue in Linux Post 302790257 by AnkitSenghani on Friday 5th of April 2013 04:59:04 AM
Old 04-05-2013
In man tail..
I could see the following line:
If the first character of N (the number of bytes or lines) is a '+', print beginning with the Nth item from the start of each file,
otherwise, print the last N items in the file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue Filtering Tail

Hi Folks, I have a log that contains data as shown below: 11:59:43,144 (1,850) Signal : .... 11:59:44,109 (1850) Bps : ..... I wish to remove "" from all lines and it is on the start of every line. I have achieved that successfully using the command: tail -f imp.log | sed 's/\... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: umairrahman
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Find command on Linux

Hi, I am issuing find command below mentioned ways but it givs different count. I don't understand the behaviour. Could any one have any clue? $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 -exec ls -lrt {} \; | wc -l 169 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l 47 $ find . -mtime -5 -maxdepth 1 | wc -l... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] Help piping tail to read STDIN

Hello everybody, I need some help here. I have a log file that gets updated every hour approximately. I want to make some processing on each line which is added in the log file with a program written in PERL. The problem is that I don't see anything when a line is added in the log file. I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samb95
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail issue!

Hi, I had few scripts which were running fine on linux: uname -a Linux ######### 2.6.9-89.ELsmp #1 SMP Mon Apr 20 10:33:05 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux from some front end application. Recently there was a migration of this application on some other linux m/c: uname -a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dips_ag
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK / tail Issue

Hello, I am using a tail command to fetch the line before last in a log file. the two last lines are as followed: 11-01-16 11:55:45.174 | CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache Starting CClientObject::InitTraceLevelInCache End I am doing a awk statement to gather only the numeric... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command issue in linux

I ran one the script in debug mode in linux and have a problem ret='$prmAttunityUser=ais' Now i need to remove $ from this '$prmAttunityUser=ais' so i had added a sed command like this sed 's/$//g' but its not working could you all please help me with an alternate command I want the output... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vee_789
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issue in Linux Command

Hi, :wall: I am not able to run any utility command in Redat, Please see the below example and suggest me how I shall run this type of command. $ su Password: # ifconfig bash: ifconfig: command not found # which ifconfig /usr/bin/which: no ifconfig in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pradipta_pks
3 Replies

8. Solaris

[SOLVED] Issue with hostname command

Hi, i'm having issues with one of my db servers, each time i run the hostname command i get "-a" as result this is the only zone on this server where i have this issue. could any one help me with this issue (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: EduardoDiaz
5 Replies

9. Red Hat

Issue in tmadmin command in Linux

Hi , I am trying to execute the below command, i got error msg.. Please advice me how to solve this See, When i raised psr cmd., then i got error like above , Please help on this THanks Mani (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mani_apr08
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simple sed command not working; could be a Mac/Linux vs. PC/Linux issue

Hello, I am on a Mac and trying to clean up some monthly files with a very simple SED: sed '3,10d;/<ACROSS>/,$d' input.txt > output.txt (from the input, delete lines 3 - 10; then delete from the line containing <ACROSS> to the end of the file) then output to output.txt Even when I try... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: verbatim
2 Replies
INOTAIL(1)						       Inotify enhanced tail							INOTAIL(1)

NAME
inotail - A fast and lightweight version of tail using inotify SYNOPSIS
inotail [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
inotail is a replacement for the 'tail' program found in the base installation of every Linux/UNIX system. It makes use of the inotify in- frastructure in recent versions of the Linux kernel to speed up tailing files in the follow mode (the '-f' option). Standard tail polls the file every second by default while inotail listens to special events sent by the kernel through the inotify API to determine whether a file needs to be reread. Note: inotail will not work on systems running a kernel without inotify. To enable inotify, please set CONFIG_INOTIFY=y in your Linux kernel configuration and recompile it. Currently inotail is not fully compatible to neither POSIX or GNU tail but might be in the future. OPTIONS
-c N, --bytes=N output the last N bytes. If the first character of N is a '+', begin printing with the Nth character from the start of each file. -f, --follow keep the file(s) open and print appended data as the file grows -n N, --lines=N output the last N lines (default: 10) If the first character of N is a '+', begin printing with the Nth line from the start of each file. -v, --verbose print headers with file names -h, --help show help and exit -V, --version show inotail version and exit AUTHOR
Written by Tobias Klauser <tklauser@distanz.ch> SEE ALSO
tail(1), inotify(7) 2006-08-13 INOTAIL(1)