Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Adding a network interface to a bonded interface Post 302789865 by westmoreland on Thursday 4th of April 2013 10:40:19 AM
Old 04-04-2013
Adding a network interface to a bonded interface

I have a RHEL 5 system with a bonded interface configure using only one network port (eth0). So I have config file for ifcfg-bond0 and ifcfg-eth[0-5]. I'd like to configure eth5 to be the second SLAVE in the bond. My question is, after I modify ifcfg-eth5, can I add eth5 to the bond0 interface without disrupting network connectivity by simply doing:

Quote:
ifdown eth5

ifup eth5
I'm trying to avoid restarting the network service because I don't want to interrupt connectivity.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding an interface to solaris?

I have a quad ethernet card in my sun box, and only 3 of them are visable when I "ifconfig -a". How do I activate the the 4th one? I think it is solaris 5.6. Thanks. Marc (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mmaniscalco
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Adding virtual Interface on HP UX

Hello all, I want to add a new virtual interface on HP-UX B.11.11 U 9000/800 box. I know that ifconfig can be used to add the Virtual interface. BUt i do not know the exact syntax. it some times gives plumb error if i try to add # ifconfig vif0 10.1.10.1 up plumb error: No such file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: supersumanth
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Adding Loopback Interface

Hello, I have a SunOS (5.5.1) system that I need to migrate to a new IP address. I would like to have any requests destined for the old IP to be forwarded to this server. One suggestion I had was to add a route on my router that would point the old IP to the new IP. How do I add another... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reiklen
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

Netdump over bonded interface ?

Netdump over bonded interface ? Hey there,.. I have heard from admins, that netdump usually fails over a bonded network interface. I have written a multi-OS checkdump script , which checks if the respective crashdump utility on corresponding OS is correctly configured, space is available,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shriyer
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Network interface down after adding static route

Please , I have a problem I have add a statis route on Solaris 10, but after this, the network interface of Server was Offline. The system is in cluster mode (3.2) route add -net 10.10.1.128 -netmask 255.255.255.128 10.10.1.51 ------------------- lo0:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ruggero
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Command line Interface or GUI Interface not shown on solaris

Dear all, I am a newbie in solaris and I need your advice. I have a Solaris version 5.9 installed on Sunfire V240. I am able to ssh the machine from putty remotely. My problem is that I cannot see the display from KVM switch I have connected to it. I need also to be able to see the GUI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbouster
2 Replies

7. SCO

Change SCO - GUI or Desktop interface to DOS based interface

Hi all I have installed a demo version of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, I finally found it is Desktop Interface, I would like to know how to change its interface to dos based interface? If you have any ideas, please tell me then. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Need a bridge from an ethernet interface to a serial interface

This is my situation DOS pc serial cable (sl0) Linux Pc eth1 192.168.0.10 <-------------------->192.168.0.2 <------------>192.168.0.1 (router) I connected the linux pc and the dos pc with a SLIP (serial line internet protocol), so they can communicate in the sl0 interface. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
3 Replies

9. AIX

Is it possible to configure bonding over bonded interface in AIX?

Hi Everyone, Is it possible to configure bonding over bonded interface in AIX? For example: server has for NIC port: ent0 ent1 ent2 ent3 First I create a EtherChannel ent4 from ent0 and ent1. and then I create a EtherChannel ent5 from ent2 and ent3. Can I create a EtherChannel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
1 Replies
PMDABONDING(1)						       Performance Co-Pilot						    PMDABONDING(1)

NAME
pmdabonding - Linux bonded interface performance metrics domain agent (PMDA) DESCRIPTION
pmdabonding is a Performance Metrics Domain Agent (PMDA) which exports metric values from bonded network interfaces in the Linux kernel. INSTALLATION
If you want access to the names and values for the bonding performance metrics, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bonding # ./Install If you want to undo the installation, do the following as root: # cd $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bonding # ./Remove pmdabonding is launched by pmcd(1) and should never be executed directly. The Install and Remove scripts notify pmcd(1) when the agent is installed or removed. FILES
$PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bonding/Install installation script for the pmdabonding agent $PCP_PMDAS_DIR/bonding/Remove undo installation script for the pmdabonding agent $PCP_LOG_DIR/pmcd/bonding.log default log file for error messages from pmdabonding SEE ALSO
pmcd(1) and ifenslave(8). 3.8.10 Performance Co-Pilot PMDABONDING(1)