Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regular Exprasions
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Regular Exprasions Post 302786495 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 27th of March 2013 02:46:51 PM
Old 03-27-2013
In case the previous comments were too cryptic, the command:
Code:
find . –type d –name "?d*" –print

will look for files in or under the current directory (.) of type directory (-type d) with a name that is any single character followed by the letter d followed by zero or more other characters (-name "?d*"and prints the pathnames of any files that match these criteria (-print).

Note that I used "?d*", not ?d*. Although opening- and closing-double-quote characters may be nicer visually when typing text, plain double-quote characters are required when passing arguments to the shell (unless you're actually looking for files with names containing the opening- and closing-double-quote characters).

Also note that the -print primary is not needed in this find command because it just specifies the default behavior in this case.
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression

Hello All! I have a file thats something like this: ( a grep output) /path/of/file/filename.abc.xyz.pqr:! Commented text /path/of/file/filename.abc.xyz: ! More Commented text I need to grep out those line from this file whose filename has ".abc" in the filename (anywhere in filename)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ag79
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regular expressions

how to find for a file whose name has all characters in uppercase after 'project'? I tried this: find . -name 'project**.pdf' ./projectABC.pdf ./projectABC123.pdf I want only ./projectABC.pdf What is the regular expression that correponds to "all characters are capital"? thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: melanie_pfefer
8 Replies

3. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression [^ ]

Hi, Could anybody explain why will evaluate to true for a string that is not null, not empty string, and has at least one non-space char? My understanding is that ^ means exclude all chars inside . So I thought it should mean anything except space. This seems a big mystery to me. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: iengca
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

vi Regular Expression help - can this be done?

Good day! I'll say right away that I'm not good at regular expressions. I'm very much so still learning them and I wasn't sure if this was technically an emergency to post in the emergency forum. I have a task at work here that requires me to insert a string after matching another string... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtollefson
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression.

can someone let me know what this means in english. \(abcd\) \ is an escape key right? Thanks Also im getting confused with something like it does this mean any single character? and this would be 2 characters ? Just let me know if im on the right track. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: syco__
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression

I have a flat tab delimited file of the following format 1 A:23 A:45 A:789 2 A:2 A:47 3 A:78 A:345 A:9 A:10 4 A:34 A:98 I want to modify the file to the following format with insertions of "//" in between 1 A:23 // A:45 // A:789 2 A:2 // A:47 3 A:78 // A:345 // A:9 // A:10 4 A:34... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lucky Ali
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in regular expression

<ATTR name="ABCDEFGH" value=""/> <ATTR name="HJYR" value=""/> what would be the regular expression to match both the above strings... Always end with value=""/> always start with <ATTR name=" the ATTR name can be anything.. I need to use this with match() in awk. Thanks.. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shekhar2010us
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression

Could anyone of you please guide me on making correct regular expression to match the exact word or character I have some numbers like 12345780 extn 1234 1234567 x 43545 13245678 Extn 454857 if * ]]; then VAR3=`echo "$NUMBER" | nawk -F "*" '{print $1 $2}'` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
4 Replies

10. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)