Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Creating a .profile, displaying system variables, and creating an alias Post 302785123 by hanson44 on Sunday 24th of March 2013 10:41:21 PM
Old 03-24-2013
It would be best if you could include an example, in code tags, of what you have tried so far.

For example, here's start of my .profile (nothing to do with your solution). Send a sample that tries to do your assignment.
Code:
# echo Entering .profile ...

umask 002

working_on_book=n

export     HISTSIZE=10000
export HISTFILESIZE=10000
export  HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth

To figure out where the password file is, try "man passwd" and look around the man page.

Your profile will live in the .profile file in your home directory, so you can just print that. If you have to append the commands to the .profile that's pretty primitive. If you know how to use some kind of editor, it would be a lot more convenient for you.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating alias for directory path

I am trying to create an alias for a frequently used directory path by using alias xyz="/proj/dir_name" and then trying to reach a sub-directoy by using cd xyz/abc but I get an error saying " No such file or directory " plz tell me wats wrong with this ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasjot31
3 Replies

2. OS X (Apple)

creating a new profile from command line

Does any1 know how to preform such an operation on a mac? any help appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

3. AIX

To see vhost on VIOS after creating an HMC profile

I created a profile in HMC for a new LPAR and activated it but not yet installed AIX. Is there a step to make this new LPAR available as vhostX from the VIO server after creating and activating an HMC profile? I already shared the CD-ROM device from the HMC profile. Thanks. -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: learner1
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Creating Alias for FILE

Hello, I need the command to create alias for a file "FILE" (NOT for commands) ? And Is there any difference between creating alias for files and creating alias for commands ? For info, i'm using Solaris 8 Thx, http://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newpromo
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help creating new .profile

Hi, We have a load of users which point to the same basic profile by a link: .profile -> /export/home/dusers/INIT/dot.profile I'd like to create a seperate profile for one user -testu12. If I remove the link from his profile will it delete the actual dot.profile file? I've tried to do a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Grueben
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in creating my own profile file in unix

I am new in shell scripting. currently i am using cygwin. My problem is i created a profile file in my own folder. file name is first.profile in which i gave following values to variable export a=10 now i am executing this profile file by below command ./.first.profile it executed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratikjain998
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in creating execute profile file in unix

first i created a profile file(my_var.profile) which contains export my_var=20 after that i created shell scripts(my_var.sh) which contains #!/bin/bash . ./my_var.profile echo '$my_var='$my_var but when i am executing sh my_var.sh it is showing error that no such file/directory .profile.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratikjain998
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating .../ alias in bash

I want to create an alias as follows but is not working alias ../='cd ../' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help on creating and saving an alias

Hello, I want to create an alias for this command: grep -i "<keyword_to_search>" <path_to_search> Here's the alias I intended to make: alias k 'set ARGS1 =(\!1); set ARGS2 =(\!2); grep -i "$ARGS1" ARGS2' So that next time, for example, if I want to search the keyword "Help" in the path... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mar85
5 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Having trouble creating an alias for grep

Hi, I'm using Mac 10.9.1. I would like to create an alias for grep so that it won't print out messages like "grep: /Users/davea/workspace/myproject/subdir/: Is a directory" all the time. So in my terminal, I opened ~/.profile and entered alias grep='grep -s' However, when I close and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: laredotornado
5 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)